Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,281 of 22,960
No I really am, and thanks for the reply, check it out upon my return.

I bet you are, looks like a great place.  No worries at all, and hope you like the app once you do check it out.  Enjoy.

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #5,282 of 22,960
This thing is over 20 years old and I've had it since 1990 when I was a teenager and still works perfectly. Sound wise is so mellow and bloomy .. there's no separation what so ever in the music .. just one big blob of music ... haha ... this runs on 4xAA batteries and I remember it running out after playing about 2 cds. Brings back memories :)
Too bad I've chucked away my huge Sony yellow sports waterproof walkman! I loved that thing back then.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #5,283 of 22,960
I demoed these at a shop for a while yesterday. The bass was HUGE! I think even more than the SE215...the sound was very crisp and resolving, slightly on the warm side, as Shure IEMs tend to be...it was basically the ultimate version of the SE215. Same sound signature,  but crisper treble, way better separation, much better defined bass, and clearer mids, with a noticeably larger soundstage. It wasn't quite as dynamic as I was hoping though. I prefer the IE800 to the SE846, the bass came in deeper and was a bit tighter, and the v-shape sig is more to my liking than the warmer Shure IEMs.

But wow...dat bass...
basshead.gif
  It's like TF10 bass only SE215 quantity...and then some. Really good at not bleeding too.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #5,285 of 22,960
I now have both IE800 and SE846 ... I wouldn't be able to choose between them. Up to this price point, it's just all about sound signature preference. I love both and keeping both but maybe time to sell the Heaven IV which I rarely use.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,286 of 22,960
I demoed these at a shop for a while yesterday. The bass was HUGE! I think even more than the SE215...the sound was very crisp and resolving, slightly on the warm side, as Shure IEMs tend to be...it was basically the ultimate version of the SE215. Same sound signature,  but crisper treble, way better separation, much better defined bass, and clearer mids, with a noticeably larger soundstage. It wasn't quite as dynamic as I was hoping though. I prefer the IE800 to the SE846, the bass came in deeper and was a bit tighter, and the v-shape sig is more to my liking than the warmer Shure IEMs.

But wow...dat bass...:basshead:   It's like TF10 bass only SE215 quantity...and then some. Really good at not bleeding too.

Having owned both the ie800 and the SE846 I would have to disagree with at least one point. The ie800 does not hit as deep as the SE846. If you look at the freq response between the two you will notice a mid bass hump on the ie800 which you might perceive as deeper but to my ears the SE846 goes deeper.

Edit: the top graph is the ie800 and the SE846 is the bottom graph.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #5,287 of 22,960
Looks like the IE800 has more dB at 20hz to me, right on the 5 line vs more like 3 on the SE846.

The IE800 had a much bigger soundstage and overall more natural presentation of instruments to my ears as well. The SE846 was very dynamic but didn't sound nearly as spacious in terms of overall size and width.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5,288 of 22,960
Having owned both the ie800 and the SE846 I would have to disagree with at least one point. The ie800 does not hit as deep as the SE846. If you look at the freq response between the two you will notice a mid bass hump on the ie800 which you might perceive as deeper but to my ears the SE846 goes deeper.

Is the left one the "top" and thus the IE800? It would have to be - since treble rolls off on the right one... (not that I hear it all that much on my 846's)

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5,289 of 22,960

But wow...dat bass...
basshead.gif
  It's like TF10 bass only SE215 quantity...and then some. Really good at not bleeding too.

If you are wondering if the bass of the SE846 is "even more" than the SE215, I think that you more than likely did not have a tight/deep/isolated seal with the SE846's tips.  If you were able to have optimal isolation and seal (like the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves provide if you owned them) you may have crowned the SE846 the king/queen.  

With that said, I demoed the IE800, and while I believe it is an amazing earphone with it being only a dynamic driver with "XWB" (extra wide bandwidth), I personally love the bass sonically and viscerally from the SE846 more.  

I am using the SCS, coupled with choosing the filter that I want (did you swap out/change filters?) so I feel every last nuance and reverberation from the SE846, so it isn't a fair comparison to your demo.  

I think the soundstage is very wide for the IE800 and sounds pretty articulate, but I am glad I chose the SE846 because of the overall signature it presents that no other earphone/IEM (that I've listened to anyways) presents regarding the bass characteristics.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I ordered one today $20 less than hippocan plus engraved. and it looks the same. Didn't have the guts to ask for Shure 846 engraving
smily_headphones1.gif

Please let me (us) know how you like it compared to the SE846 stock black hard square case please (fit, size, ease of putting in and taking out the SE846, etc.)  Thanks in advance!

I now have both IE800 and SE846 ... I wouldn't be able to choose between them. Up to this price point, it's just all about sound signature preference. I love both and keeping both but maybe time to sell the Heaven IV which I rarely use.

I agree wholeheartedly, joey99.  They are both great earphones/IEMs and cater very well to what people are looking for.  That said, it's great to have options within an option, like the SE846's ability to swap/change/mod filters, and the JH Roxanne's ability to be able to use a super small screwdriver to increase the "bass" (more like soundstage as a whole to me) +10db.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #5,290 of 22,960

I like graphs, but sometimes graphs do not capture the entire audio experience.  With that said, I agree with you, the IE800 does not hit as hard, or has the quality of bass that the SE846 embodies.

Looks like the IE800 has more dB at 20hz to me, right on the 5 line vs more like 3 on the SE846.

The IE800 had a much bigger soundstage and overall more natural presentation of instruments to my ears as well. The SE846 was very dynamic but didn't sound nearly as spacious in terms of overall size and width.

I wouldn't say much bigger...remember, seal/fit/isolation/filters do play an immense role regarding soundstage, and finding the 'best' soundstage for your own ears.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #5,291 of 22,960

Yes the soundstage is larger in single output but that is achieved by scooping out the midrange. With a balanced amp the SE846 has a materially larger soundstage than the ie800. For me the loss of the midrange coupled with problems with the proprietary tips and non replaceable cables precluding the use of a balanced amp killed the ie800 for me.

But I am glad you like the ie800 as a lot of people do.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #5,293 of 22,960
Yes the soundstage is larger in single output but that is achieved by scooping out the midrange. With a balanced amp the SE846 has a materially larger soundstage than the ie800. For me the loss of the midrange coupled with problems with the proprietary tips and non replaceable cables precluding the use of a balanced amp killed the ie800 for me.

But I am glad you like the ie800 as a lot of people do.

Those were concerns of mine as well regarding the non replaceable cables and not being able to use/upgrade to balanced cables if one wanted to.  You could technically use a 3.5 mm SE to a 2.5 mm TRRS (balanced) interconnect cable with the IE800 (or a SE SE846 cable), correct?

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #5,294 of 22,960
I like graphs, but sometimes graphs do not capture the entire audio experience.  With that said, I agree with you, the IE800 does not hit as hard, or has the quality of bass that the SE846 embodies.

I wouldn't say much bigger...remember, seal/fit/isolation/filters do play an immense role regarding soundstage, and finding the 'best' soundstage for your own ears.

That is definitely true Moe good point. I tip rolled the Shure's for a month to find the right tips for me back when I owned the 535 (before my wife stole them). Thankfully the 8s have the same 2.5mm nozzle so I was ready.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #5,295 of 22,960
  @moedawg140 - Believe it or not, The Shure case is still in the original packaging - never used it - I'm using a  Pelican 1010 micro hard case but for sure I'll post up when I get the JH

Blasphemy!  I'm just kidding...kinda. 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for posting impressions of the JH case when you do get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back