Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,001 of 22,954
The more expensive TS / TSX series are a hair better to my ears than standard Comply shape, namely to do with this issue: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection-page-2

But Comply do not last long enough and thus become expensive. Am going to order Westone star and tru-fit universal pack soon. Will be interesting as have never found silicone tips to sound good, with the exception of the triple-flange but original and modified double-flange not quite there fitting wise for my ears. It is all very personal.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,002 of 22,954
The more expensive TS / TSX series are a hair better to my ears than standard Comply shape, namely to do with this issue: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comply-foam-tips-and-effects-tip-selection-page-2

But Comply do not last long enough and thus become expensive. Am going to order Westone star and tru-fit universal pack soon. Will be interesting as have never found silicone tips to sound good, with the exception of the triple-flange but original and modified double-flange not quite there fitting wise for my ears. It is all very personal.

I'm a fan of the Comply TS series myself.  The large is wide enough to provide good isolation but short enough so that they're not closed off by pressing against the ear canal.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3,003 of 22,954
All this discussion of Foam vs. Silicone tips/sleeves/(nozzle condoms) and the effect on sound quality/colouration has got my old (very old) synapsis' firing for the first time since...(?).

If I understand this  (a big if),  foam creates a bossier response by damping the highs (why? some sciency reasoning that is beyond my limited understanding.).

As I have been using Olives and Comply's I do find the Shure Olive have a deeper bass than the Comply (denser foam?). I can't comment on the Sure Grey Silicone s I never liked the fit well enough to really sound test them. Same for the Clear Silicone of days gone by (Tips designed by the Marquis de Sade I think.)

Westones: I am just too damn cheap to spend $15 on a combo pack of Star Tips and True Tips. So I can't comment.

No I just rather impulsively (thanks to reading this thread and a bit of reading on Customs in general) went for the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves  at 10X the price of the Westone Combo pack. Damn Shiny objects Next week they arrive - (cool running's for summer - I hope) . I mean they have to fit,

But this brings me to an exciting (for me) thought. If the Silicone as a material has a brighter sound. Highs not dampened etc. then.... The BLUE filter Might Just might unmuddy early to mid 70's Classic rock (specifically the muddy stuff) ie Dark Side of the Moon. The Blue filter really interferes with David Gilmour in "Time" for example.
Pop in the WHITE filter and it transcends (almost). Move Forward to 1977 Pink Floyd Animals and the WHITE f Filter is a tad too bright.  

Is it possible then that with a Sensaphonics Custom Silicone Sleeve I will not only be spared the soreness of extended wear of Complys and Olives (the hurt more), BUT also have the BLUE filter work perfectly for all my music most of the time?.

It gets tired switching between BLUE and WHITE filters as a unintended consequence of over consumption of Cocaine and Quaaludes by sound engineers and musicians in the decade of Dazed and Confused

This could be interesting I had never considered THIS possibility until today reading all of the previous posts.

Now DX90 or an X5 Which pairs better with the 846. Just in case anybody has any opinions on that matter.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #3,004 of 22,954
  All this discussion of Foam vs. Silicone tips/sleeves/(nozzle condoms) and the effect on sound quality/colouration has got my old (very old) synapsis' firing for the first time since...(?).

If I understand this  (a big if),  foam creates a bossier response by damping the highs (why? some sciency reasoning that is beyond my limited understanding.).

As I have been using Olives and Comply's I do find the Shure Olive have a deeper bass than the Comply (denser foam?). I can't comment on the Sure Grey Silicone s I never liked the fit well enough to really sound test them. Same for the Clear Silicone of days gone by (Tips designed by the Marquis de Sade I think.)

Westones: I am just too damn cheap to spend $15 on a combo pack of Star Tips and True Tips. So I can't comment.

No I just rather impulsively (thanks to reading this thread and a bit of reading on Customs in general) went for the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves  at 10X the price of the Westone Combo pack. Damn Shiny objects Next week they arrive - (cool running's for summer - I hope) . I mean they have to fit,

But this brings me to an exciting (for me) thought. If the Silicone as a material has a brighter sound. Highs not dampened etc. then.... The BLUE filter Might Just might unmuddy early to mid 70's Classic rock (specifically the muddy stuff) ie Dark Side of the Moon. The Blue filter really interferes with David Gilmour in "Time" for example.
Pop in the WHITE filter and it transcends (almost). Move Forward to 1977 Pink Floyd Animals and the WHITE f Filter is a tad too bright.  

Is it possible then that with a Sensaphonics Custom Silicone Sleeve I will not only be spared the soreness of extended wear of Complys and Olives (the hurt more), BUT also have the BLUE filter work perfectly for all my music most of the time?.

It gets tired switching between BLUE and WHITE filters as a unintended consequence of over consumption of Cocaine and Quaaludes by sound engineers and musicians in the decade of Dazed and Confused

This could be interesting I had never considered THIS possibility until today reading all of the previous posts.

Now DX90 or an X5 Which pairs better with the 846. Just in case anybody has any opinions on that matter.

I'm possibly dense on this subject but I purchase tips that create the best seal so I hear all of the bass,  have isolation and comfort.  I'm not certain I understand how tips/sleeves/condoms color the music. As long as they don't cover the IEM opening the only portion of the tip exposed to the music will be the very tip of the sleeve. Not certain that is sufficient material to actually impact the SQ.  I'm open to someone educating my on this topic.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,005 of 22,954
Hello,

happy to confirm that i received my Shure SE846 today.
these earphones are very strong ! 
compared to my W4R, the difference is very perceptible and very hight.
musically, they are the best for me.

don't know the difference between the two cable given by shure

thx
sam

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #3,006 of 22,954

I'm possibly dense on this subject but I purchase tips that create the best seal so I hear all of the bass,  have isolation and comfort.  I'm not certain I understand how tips/sleeves/condoms color the music. As long as they don't cover the IEM opening the only portion of the tip exposed to the music will be the very tip of the sleeve. Not certain that is sufficient material to actually impact the SQ.  I'm open to someone educating my on this topic.

Personally I always assumed the Complys were less bassy than the Shure Olives because they were not as tight in my ears (more comfortable than the Olives but).

I have a good seal with the Complys BUT the Olives give me a tighter seal and are more snug fitting.

To my simple mind the sound is shooting into my ears from the open hole/end of the nozzle. I do not understand the hows and whys of foam density dampening the highs as (to me) the foam precedes the nozzle. The dampening effect of the foam would be wrt outside noise. Hence Foam makes a great seal. But what do I know? -  Very little. What do I understand? - Even less!

However IF this is the case then m BLUE filter should be less muddy with Custom Silicone Sleeves. And  I have just begun to consider the possibility of actually having an actual use for the Black filter with the Custom Silicone Sleeves.

I too am quite open to be educated on the hows and whys of Foam Dampening the Highs wrt nozzle condoms  (sorry it makes me giggle).  

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #3,007 of 22,954

Personally I always assumed the Complys were less bassy than the Shure Olives because they were not as tight in my ears (more comfortable than the Olives but).

I have a good seal with the Complys BUT the Olives give me a tighter seal and are more snug fitting. To my simple mind the sound is shooting into my ears from the open hole/end of the nozzle. I do not understand the hows and whys of foam density dampening the highs as (to me) the foam precedes the nozzle. The dampening effect of the foam would be wrt outside noise. Hence Foam makes a great seal. But what do I know? -  Very little. What do I understand - Even less!

However IF this is the case then m BLUE filter should be less muddy with Custom Silicone Sleeves. And  I have just begun to consider the possibility of actually having an actual use for the Black filter with the Custom Silicone Sleeves.

I too am quite open to be educated on the hows and whys of Foam Dampening the Highs wrt nozzle condoms  (sorry it makes me giggle).  

I don't know if any of you own cans, but I have the HE-6.  You can either use the pleather or valour pads.  pleather pads has better high responses.  Valour dampens.  The silicon like somebody has mentioned is hard to get out as it makes a pretty good suction, therefore it makes a good seal.  Better bass response require a good seal(even for home setups woofer goes where the waves can reflect, close to a corner).  Even for some home setups, they put dampers on the walls and speakers directed.  The silicone material is good at reflecting waves and creates a good seal. I've always preferred silicone material for universals.  I have always noticed any sort of foam or complies dampening the sound in some way.  Thank god the 846 is not insertion distance dependent like the 334 as it would be another thing to worry about as the 846 is fit in only one way.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3,008 of 22,954
I am unsure as to if any Australian retailers even stock the Star tips. Google has proven to be a bad friend, yet again. :p

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #3,009 of 22,954
If you aren't getting a good seal with foam... use a larger size.  And if you follow the crush and stuff insertion method you're doing it wrong :p  Just twist them in like you would a ciem.  Boom tight seal, no crushed material at the opening and stupid fast to inset. Win win and err win.  

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3,010 of 22,954
  I don't know if any of you own cans, but I have the HE-6.  You can either use the pleather or valour pads.  pleather pads has better high responses.  Valour dampens.  The silicon like somebody has mentioned is hard to get out as it makes a pretty good suction, therefore it makes a good seal.  Better bass response require a good seal(even for home setups woofer goes where the waves can reflect, close to a corner).  Even for some home setups, they put dampers on the walls and speakers directed.  The silicone material is good at reflecting waves and creates a good seal. I've always preferred silicone material for universals.  I have always noticed any sort of foam or complies dampening the sound in some way.  Thank god the 846 is not insertion distance dependent like the 334 as it would be another thing to worry about as the 846 is fit in only one way.

SO IF I understand what you have written, Then once I have custom silicone sleeves in I will have the seal I crave. Comfort I need for extended wear AND as a by-product The muddiness I experience (as with DSOTM) with the Blue filters will be mitigated (sweet) This muddiness is not apparent with the White filters with foam, comply and Olives.

One more thing to look forward to.
I can't comment on Full size as that has been too long for me. But now I also know why there are different pad materials...cool. However,  that road leads to STAX and the Big big Money. Next thing you know its $15000 for a tone-arm and $9000 for a stylus/cartridge...the road to perdition indeed

Any day you learn something new or grasp an elusive concept is a good day. Unless of course you are learning/grasping the immutable laws of gravity for the first time while in freefell at 2,000ft with no chute.

That makes it a good day, for me

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #3,011 of 22,954
Monty, I paid more attention to tips when I had the 334 as it's very sensitive to fit.  I figured out what tips worked the best for me with it.  It was actually the largest thick silicone material that was very large to my canals.  I insert it just enough to make a perfect seal(no more as it squeezes the tip bore, this would cover up other bores, as it has 3 bores in total) for the bass, and lucky for me that distance was the right distance for not creating too much low response to over take the mids, and ever since then, I've appreciated why 334 was so popular.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #3,013 of 22,954
I have no idea which I am using-the longer or shorter of the two. It has been relatively unproblematic to date, with the exception of snagging it on my hand as I walk.

I used the UE Triple Fi 5 stock silicones with my IE8s and loved them, even if isolation was not much to write home about. I am really liking this ultra high isolation dealy provided by the olives hence would be less accommodating of a change if I traded to anything else with lesser isolation.

I can't even hear the train whistle as it leaves the station while right near it, presently.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #3,014 of 22,954
  Hello,

happy to confirm that i received my Shure SE846 today.
these earphones are very strong ! 
compared to my W4R, the difference is very perceptible and very hight.
musically, they are the best for me.

don't know the difference between the two cable given by shure

thx
sam

I really enjoy the 846 and so great to take them on the go.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #3,015 of 22,954
Hello, 

I would like to know which one do you use with your SE 846 ?
I give a number to each of them because not easy for me to identify without the number.

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back