Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #2,986 of 22,960
Do tips really make a difference in the sound quality? I've tried changing out tips in the past on lesser IEM's and did not notice a difference, haven't tried anything other than the standard foam tips that came with the 846's yet.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #2,988 of 22,960
Do tips really make a difference in the sound quality? I've tried changing out tips in the past on lesser IEM's and did not notice a difference, haven't tried anything other than the standard foam tips that came with the 846's yet.

If you switch from silicon to foam then yes there is a difference, as foam tips do absorb sound.
Switching to foam tips should result in deeper bass but lesser extension.
Switch from silicon to silicon or foam to foam is more of a comfort-wise than a sound-wise change.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #2,989 of 22,960

Tip rolling is recommended with all iem, even with the bundled tip kit if nothing else as it will only cost you time. Tips are very important because they are the connection between iem and ear canal.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #2,990 of 22,960
Ok cool, thanks for all the quick reply's, I will try the included tips with the SE846 and maybe but the Westone Stars if I find the silicon tips to be an improvement.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #2,991 of 22,960
Wow! 200 pages!!

It is not a question of "quality" per se. The better the fit and isolation, the better the experience.

In my case tip rolling is virtually useless because you could fit an Airbus A380 in them there cavities. I tried doing this with the stock Atrio M5 foamies and no dice. Inserting them as is/was, as is the case with any eartips or plugs, always renders the best result.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2,992 of 22,960
  If you switch from silicon to foam then yes there is a difference, as foam tips do absorb sound.

They absorb/disperse reflections.  The tip can't affect something it has no contact with ie the original signal.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #2,993 of 22,960
Switch from silicon to silicon or foam to foam is more of a comfort-wise than a sound-wise change.

I agree with this.  Foams and complies dampen high frequencies and who knows what elese.  Silicone is reflective, it contains the waves better, and provides better high and bass response. The problem with olives for the 846 is the narrow bore, it distorts the highs.  Fit is perfect, but not the FR from the olives.

This all depends on you like damped sound or not, I don't like damped sound.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,994 of 22,960

The Westone Star Tips are silicone but I get a deeper bass than the Shure Foams?

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,995 of 22,960
I bought the Westone Star tips when I had the SE535 . They wobbled in my ears until they fell out every time. I used the different sizes but nothing helped. Sound-wise, they were disappointing because I didn't get a good seal. They sounded bright. I gave the Westone Star tips to the buyer for free when I sold the SE535.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,996 of 22,960
Fortunately, the stock tips which came with the 846 fit perfectly.  First time that has ever happened.  I've tried a few other tips but for some reason they didn't seal as well.  I did have a huge problem finding the right tips for my Noble and then after a tip in the forum I tried the "Comply T-500 Isolation Earphone Tips" and they worked fantastic. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,997 of 22,960
I find that complys do block some highs but I think it's from compressing to a smaller apature in use. They may sound warmer due to this but I also feel they can lose a bit of very low bass due to their porosity (pressure release) but it's variable. Shure olive foams seem very good to me on all counts when properly fitted and compatible. Audio wavelengths are much longer than the absorptive areas we're discussing.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,998 of 22,960
  I find that complys do block some highs but I think it's from compressing to a smaller apature in use. They may sound warmer due to this but I also feel they can lose a bit of very low bass due to their porosity (pressure release) but it's variable. Shure olive foams seem very good to me on all counts when properly fitted and compatible. Audio wavelengths are much longer than the absorptive areas we're discussing.

Do you have the SE846, goodvibes?!

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #2,999 of 22,960

Wait a min.  You are compressing the aparture?  Notice the comply material? they compress.  Also, when you compress, you don't cover up the opening. Sound warm from compressed aparture?  Oh lord..

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,000 of 22,960
The olives are good, but it's just a pain for me to get it off the earphone as I like my nails short.
I think I used brutal force just to get the olives off when I get the 846's for the first time. :cool:
I use Monster Supertips with adapters. I use them everywhere from UE900 to 535 to 846 and they are great.
Wanting to check out the Startips sensation here, I also ordered Westone demo tips couple days ago.
It's always exciting to try new things out. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Skev
Back