Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #3,034 of 22,946

Better that mixing white and blue filters....how about using (2) different IEM's - one brand for the Left and a different brand for the Right. Just think of the possible combinations....just boggles the mind thinking of all the possible combinations...
eek.gif

makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #3,035 of 22,946
  I must say I have read with much interest and some amusement all this talk as of late of people Moding or Frankensteining their Filters.

For me and my limitations I am quite happy to leave that to the engineers at Shure.

Then I thought to myself you have nothing constructive to offer this thread until my custom sleeves arrive. Why not try and FrankenMod my SE535 to se if I can't "tweak" the SQ and kick em up a notch as it were. and see how they compare to the 8s

It turns out there are threads on Head-Fi on just that topic but they are mostly about pulling stiff out of the nozzle and I didn't want to risk breaking the plastic nozzle...... Sooo. I just sort of winged it.

Now I am not nearly as handy or technically versed as most of you but all and all I think they came out really well. Really nice sounstage

True there has been some loss of comfort and the fit is not quite as flush as they were before but What...The 535s were just going to languish "boxed" in my closet anyway

That's....well.....trippy.  There.  I said it.

Only YOU, my friend.  Only you.  Reminds me of a song I heard once -

"there wont be trumpets blowing,
on that judgement day.
but on the bloody morning after
...one tin soldier rides away "

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,038 of 22,946
Comparisons would be great!

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,039 of 22,946
  Can someone who's heard both tell me how these compare to the JH Audio JH16's? They have a lot more armatures and I'm wondering if the SE846 lags in detail (especially in the lower bass regions that the JH16s have garnered so much praise for) due to its low armature count. On the other hand, I'm not completely sold on going custom due to fit issues as my ears change, not being able to let a friend listen to them, and resale value.

Also if someone could compare these to the Westone 3's, which I currently have and am considering upgrading from, I would very much appreciate it.

Hello I had the W3 for a long time and I do like them. I sort of abuse them because I take them when it is raining or if I am going to be sweaty. The W3 are nice but compared to the 846 well the 846 does everything better. I also have the JH 16 and it is very nice but I would say the 846 matches it and beats it a bit in the bass region. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,041 of 22,946
black filter is sultry. smooth and warm, dark, creamy expresso watching a summer sunset . white filter was like suddenly opening the shades on a bright day after sleeping for 10 hours.

That's an espresso Martini, I trust. :D

I made a similar statement earlier about the modded black filter a few pages back.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,042 of 22,946
  Hello,

happy to confirm that i received my Shure SE846 today.
these earphones are very strong ! 
compared to my W4R, the difference is very perceptible and very hight.
musically, they are the best for me.

don't know the difference between the two cable given by shure

thx
sam

I upgraded from W4Rs as well.  The difference is staggering.  Until the 846s, though, I will say that the westones produced the best mids and highs I have heard.  They are excellent in their own right, but make no mistake, they are 2nd compared to the 846s.  Congratulations on your upgrade.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #3,043 of 22,946
  Hello I had the W3 for a long time and I do like them. I sort of abuse them because I take them when it is raining or if I am going to be sweaty. The W3 are nice but compared to the 846 well the 846 does everything better. I also have the JH 16 and it is very nice but I would say the 846 matches it and beats it a bit in the bass region. 

I am assuming the JH's are customs, right?  That's impressive given the fact that the JHs have 4 drivers dedicated to bass alone.

I am not impressed at all with driver count, and thats seems to be the trend.  Every driver is a failure liability.  I much prefer Shure's philosophy on the matter - instead of hosing the problem down with more drivers, simply get more from the drivers you DO have.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3,045 of 22,946
  Hello, 

I would like to know which one do you use with your SE 846 ?
I give a number to each of them because not easy for me to identify without the number.

Thx

I didn't like any of them over my westone star reds, but I did get 2 and 4 to sound the way they should have.  4 felt like a christmas tree stuffed inside my ear while 2 didn't seem to go deep enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back