Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #20,944 of 22,945
If someone were to break or lose one of those tiny filters will Shure send replacements? I looked at their website and saw nothing about this. I did not break a filter, but I bet I will eventually.

Doug Greenberg

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #20,945 of 22,945
Be careful using glue and heat as the filter and filter material inside may melt and get damaged. Please check the nozzle and filter is installed right and no leaking before doing anything drastic.
I glued outer side of the nozzle....just a litle heat from hair dryer to the nozzle to unscrew....i think i did about 10 times for changing filter etc.....all off my filter still in good condition...not become different.....but remember only use LCD glue....i tried pvc glue at first.....the bass still come out but only for days ...because pvc glue get shrink

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #20,946 of 22,945
If someone were to break or lose one of those tiny filters will Shure send replacements? I looked at their website and saw nothing about this. I did not break a filter, but I bet I will eventually.

Doug Greenberg
I ask shure agency for Indonesia.....20 usd a pair

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #20,947 of 22,945
Ok, I take it all back . . .
I did the prescribed cleaning and reset with the nozzles and filters of my 846's and the sound CHANGED. Much more bass. I feel like such a fool, having had these IEM's for years with them not performing up to their potential. . .
DG

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #20,948 of 22,945
Ok, I take it all back . . .
I did the prescribed cleaning and reset with the nozzles and filters of my 846's and the sound CHANGED. Much more bass. I feel like such a fool, having had these IEM's for years with them not performing up to their potential. . .
DG

Glad to hear you got the issue sorted out. It should sound much better now. Enjoy your ‘new’ SE846 :)

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #20,949 of 22,945
Shure SE846 is really a nice IEM with great sound even though it has been around for a while. For anyone who are not happy or are having some sound issues with the SE846, I suggest to check and ensure the nozzles and filters are installed correctly. Similarly to ear tips, they need to be installed correctly and with proper seals. If not done right, it will give rise to sound issues like lackluster bass response, channel imbalance, lean sounds and the earphones will not sound good overall. Sometimes we may also not realized that the nozzles and filters are seated properly or they may have became loose over time.

To install the nozzles and filters properly, you need to follow the steps exactly as described in the user guide provided by Shure. Below are some pointers and suggestions :
  • Use the nozzle key to remove and install the SE846 nozzles by turning counter-clockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten the threaded collar respectively.
  • With the nozzles removed, you may as well clean the nozzles and filters of ears wax or any other dirt. I also suggest swapping the filters for the left with the right side and vise versa (it helps to troubleshoot any issue with filter itself if any).
  • When installing, put the filter into the nozzle and ensure the filter is seated completely in the nozzle. Put nozzle and filter into the socket on the earphone. Ensure 1) the marking (red dot) on nozzle is aligned to the marking on socket, and 2) the top of the filter is seated into the small hole inside the socket - important to ensure proper seal.
  • Finally, put threaded collar over nozzle and tighten by turning clockwise.
Once done properly, bass response will returned to normal again and the SE846 will sound good as it should be. Hope this helps.

Nice write up. When putting the nozzle and filter back into the socket I lightly press it in and turn it left and right. If it doesn’t move it’s seated properly. If it drops in further similar to a latch does it is now seated properly and I then give it another slight left right turn again just to be sure.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #20,950 of 22,945
Guys,

What tips are you using?

I like the fit and sound isolation of the medium size foam tip, but someone told me that the silicone provide more clarity/detail in sound?
I use the same ones because they’re more comfortable for me. Silicone tips don’t agree with me for anything longer than 30 mins. So regardless of the sound you have to use what’s most comfortable for you.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #20,951 of 22,945
Nice write up. When putting the nozzle and filter back into the socket I lightly press it in and turn it left and right. If it doesn’t move it’s seated properly. If it drops in further similar to a latch does it is now seated properly and I then give it another slight left right turn again just to be sure.

Yep, need to ensure the filter is seated properly and the whole nozzle & filter is secured completely. I had the same issue of degraded low frequency response and overall poor sound quality due to the loose/leaking nozzle&filter issue. Recommend to check them after some time and especially if tips rolling a lot, it makes a big difference in the sound performance. Almost wanted to sell it and glad I didn’t, love the SE846! :)

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #20,952 of 22,945
My SE846 with double-flange tips (best isolation and sound clarity)

C5E356C8-E91A-4925-A5E0-9F4264BF5B7B.jpeg

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #20,953 of 22,945
Just realized that my SE846 had its 5th anniversary yesterday... I'm still very happy with them, and I had many non-custom in-ears in these 5 years. Sold almost all of them, including ProPhile 8 and Campfire Vega. The only other non-custom I kept is the AKG K3003.

What I really like about them is that Shure does not fall into the trap of creating something revolutionary every year... because that simply is not the case, regardless of what marketing texts say. They did develop a really great product and let it live. Hats off to that. Same with SRH1540, which I recently acquired due to exactly this reason... with so many years in this hobby I came to appreciate a more steady approach. I think this leads to a much better customer experience than those many others that feel compelled to redo their products every few months.

I once had the problem mentioned above, i.e. with the nozzles not sitting correctly. Sounds really bad that way, but its not immediately clear that they are not correctly assembled. A minor flaw with a really good product.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #20,954 of 22,945
Yep, need to ensure the filter is seated properly and the whole nozzle & filter is secured completely. I had the same issue of degraded low frequency response and overall poor sound quality due to the loose/leaking nozzle&filter issue. Recommend to check them after some time and especially if tips rolling a lot, it makes a big difference in the sound performance. Almost wanted to sell it and glad I didn’t, love the SE846! :)
I've noticed that when I re-screw the nozzle back on that it doesn't sir completely flush? I.e there is a small gap between the nozzle and the base of the iem unit - is this the same with everyone else?

As far as I can tell, I've screwed it in the best I can.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #20,955 of 22,945
I've noticed that when I re-screw the nozzle back on that it doesn't sir completely flush? I.e there is a small gap between the nozzle and the base of the iem unit - is this the same with everyone else?

As far as I can tell, I've screwed it in the best I can.
I have also experienced that issue and it’s not normal. It means the angle is somewhat wrong or the filter isn’t seated correctly (note it can also occur when the filter is seated fine so don’t go ahead and shove it until it breaks). Sometimes it’s a matter of just finding the right angle :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back