Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #20,956 of 22,943
I have also experienced that issue and it’s not normal. It means the angle is somewhat wrong or the filter isn’t seated correctly (note it can also occur when the filter is seated fine so don’t go ahead and shove it until it breaks). Sometimes it’s a matter of just finding the right angle :)

You're right I've re-screwed it after playing around with it for a bit. To be fair, the sound quality wasn't bad (or no noticeable) before I did the re-screw...

Thanks for the heads up..

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #20,958 of 22,943
Guys,

Have any of you used Shure's true wireless secure fit adapter - https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/earphones/aonic215?

Looking of getting some sort of bluettoth cable for my 846s but secure fit adapter not released in UK and doesnt have amazing reviews.

For those who have, are there any other bluetooth adapaters that you can recommend, and how much does the sound quality take a hit?

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #20,959 of 22,943
Guys,

Have any of you used Shure's true wireless secure fit adapter - https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/earphones/aonic215?

Looking of getting some sort of bluettoth cable for my 846s but secure fit adapter not released in UK and doesnt have amazing reviews.

For those who have, are there any other bluetooth adapaters that you can recommend, and how much does the sound quality take a hit?
I don’t have it personally but maybe a good idea is the Earstudio ES100. Its not true wireless but I personally go for AirPods Pro if I want true wireless :)

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #20,960 of 22,943
I don’t have it personally but maybe a good idea is the Earstudio ES100. Its not true wireless but I personally go for AirPods Pro if I want true wireless :)

I had the Airpod pro and I fund that the sound quality sucks.

Looking at making my 846s more mobile, for when I'm on the move.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #20,961 of 22,943
Guys,

The secure fit adapter was recalled due to charging and end control issues as far as I know, but will be rereleased once thats cleared up. Actually that should be rather soon given the original release date and proposed delay of several weeks...

Currently I use Shures RMCE-BT2, which is quite cheap now and definitely worth its price. Works just fine with the SE846, with very good sound quality for on the go usage.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #20,962 of 22,943
The secure fit adapter was recalled due to charging and end control issues as far as I know, but will be rereleased once thats cleared up. Actually that should be rather soon given the original release date and proposed delay of several weeks...

Currently I use Shures RMCE-BT2, which is quite cheap now and definitely worth its price. Works just fine with the SE846, with very good sound quality for on the go usage.
Thanks!

Just a little concerened about the big clip thing that it has - do you find it gets in the way/moves around a lot?

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #20,963 of 22,943
Thanks!

Just a little concerened about the big clip thing that it has - do you find it gets in the way/moves around a lot?

It does dangle a bit if let free... I either put it into my shirt or actually use the clip if wearing a shirt with a collar.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #20,964 of 22,943
It does dangle a bit if let free... I either put it into my shirt or actually use the clip if wearing a shirt with a collar.
My only gripe with it is the memory wire on shure cables are so insanely strong 😂
It’s seriously cumbersome for comfort I feel like. I’ve switched to linum superbax cable on my shure since getting it. Not because of sound changes in cable (not a believer) but because of comfort.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #20,965 of 22,943
Westone also do one - wonder if that'd be more comfortable to use?

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #20,966 of 22,943
My only gripe with it is the memory wire on shure cables are so insanely strong 😂
It’s seriously cumbersome for comfort I feel like. I’ve switched to linum superbax cable on my shure since getting it. Not because of sound changes in cable (not a believer) but because of comfort.

Yes, thats a point... I don't specifically like memory wire either, but had no major problems with the Shure wireless adapters so far (owned the BT1 before). I happen to use the superbax with my custom N8 btw. since those stay in my ears without any help whatsoever. I do like the memory wire construct helping the SE846 in that regard though. But on the other hand maybe they'd stay put without the hooks even better... hm... yet the BT2 with its shorter cable is still nicer than having to clip the ES100 anywhere (I use that one with the N8, and soundwise I'm very happy with that solution.

And yes, I, too, choose cables around practical considerations as well. There are definitely bad cables, but a good one does not need to cost hundreds and hundreds.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #20,967 of 22,943
Westone also do one - wonder if that'd be more comfortable to use?

I think they use MMCX as well, so you might want to try. Its still Bluetooth 4 though and from looking at it I don't know if it will dangle any less, given its two things hanging down... It also doesn't explicitly state support for AAC, an important feature for me. And yes, the SE846 is very sensitive to output impedance due to its low nominal impedance and large swings over frequency. The Shure adapters are tuned to those requirements I'd say, not sure about the Westone.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #20,968 of 22,943
I think they use MMCX as well, so you might want to try. Its still Bluetooth 4 though and from looking at it I don't know if it will dangle any less, given its two things hanging down... It also doesn't explicitly state support for AAC, an important feature for me. And yes, the SE846 is very sensitive to output impedance due to its low nominal impedance and large swings over frequency. The Shure adapters are tuned to those requirements I'd say, not sure about the Westone.
Good advice - thanks!

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #20,969 of 22,943
In general, I don’t like memory wire ear hooks, especially for casual listening, but for professional/stage use, I find it to be more secure and dependable than shrink wrap guides, especially when cinching up the wire behind one‘s head. I also like the durability of the clear/kevlar stock Shure cable.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #20,970 of 22,943
@Candra thank you for your step by step guide into making my se846 better!! Its like a brand new iem with a whole lot of life. The modifications are NOT permanent. The LCD glue @Candra is referring to in his post doesnt ruin the surface that it is glued on, it can be cleaned out without a trace so no need to worry. To those who feel youre not getting enough low end from your se846, you should give this mod from Candra a try. It transformed mine and it is great! Dont be missin’ out 🤝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back