Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #20,926 of 22,945
Thanks @IEMusic!

Do the iFi IEMatch need to be plugged into my SR25, or another source (like my phone) - can you recommend any other portable daps that I can look into?

I do really like bass, that's the thing but like I said in my previous comment, the BLON bass sounds more textured (and to me a tiny bit deeper) - if that makes sense?
The iFi IEMatch goes between the source that has too high an OI, and the IEM itself. Recently, another member purchased one to use a sensitive all-BA IEM with his high-end headphone tube amp, that had a very high OI. It worked well, though not perfectly. The easiest test to see if you like the sound of the se846 would be to simply listen to it from your phone, or use a cheap dongle (Apple dongle works well). My source of choice for me se846 is the Dragonfly Cobalt.

That makes sense. The se846 has some of the most DD-like bass, with really good sub bass response and decay, but it still won‘t rattle your head the way some DDs can. The BL03 is at a borderline bass head level, so if that’s the kind of bass you’re looking for, I’m afraid you won’t get it out of the se846. Regarding texture, se846 bass typically has a lot of it. It is articulate and detailed bass.

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #20,927 of 22,945
The iFi IEMatch goes between the source that has too high an OI, and the IEM itself.

Yup, if put in-between a headphone out and IEMs/cans, iEMatch will expand usable volume range and reduce hiss of sensitive loads.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #20,928 of 22,945
The iFi IEMatch goes between the source that has too high an OI, and the IEM itself. Recently, another member purchased one to use a sensitive all-BA IEM with his high-end headphone tube amp, that had a very high OI. It worked well, though not perfectly. The easiest test to see if you like the sound of the se846 would be to simply listen to it from your phone, or use a cheap dongle (Apple dongle works well). My source of choice for me se846 is the Dragonfly Cobalt.

That makes sense. The se846 has some of the most DD-like bass, with really good sub bass response and decay, but it still won‘t rattle your head the way some DDs can. The BL03 is at a borderline bass head level, so if that’s the kind of bass you’re looking for, I’m afraid you won’t get it out of the se846. Regarding texture, se846 bass typically has a lot of it. It is articulate and detailed bass.
Ah great thanks!

Do you know if it will cause the AK SR25s sound signature to change?

Can a dragonfly cobalt also be used to do the same thing?

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #20,929 of 22,945
Ah great thanks!

Do you know if it will cause the AK SR25s sound signature to change?

Can a dragonfly cobalt also be used to do the same thing?
I’m not sure exactly how it will effect the innate sound signature of the DAP, but I’m pretty certain that has a whole, the sound will improve quite a bit.

I do encourage you to listen to the se846 straight out of your phone just to get a better idea of how it sounds, for now.

The DF Cobalt is a lot more expensive, and is it’s own DAC amp, so you would typically use it directly out of your phone or computer.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #20,931 of 22,945
I’m not sure exactly how it will effect the innate sound signature of the DAP, but I’m pretty certain that has a whole, the sound will improve quite a bit.

I do encourage you to listen to the se846 straight out of your phone just to get a better idea of how it sounds, for now.

The DF Cobalt is a lot more expensive, and is it’s own DAC amp, so you would typically use it directly out of your phone or computer.
Hey,

I've been listening to my 846s and sr25 this morning, and I'm starting to warm to the sound the more I listen to it.

I'm not hearing any hissing - do you think that I'll still benefit from the ifi's??

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #20,932 of 22,945
I'm not hearing any hissing - do you think that I'll still benefit from the ifi's??

If there's no hissing and you have enough volume range on your DAP to comfortably use your setup, then no.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 16, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #20,933 of 22,945
Guys,

What tips are you using?

I like the fit and sound isolation of the medium size foam tip, but someone told me that the silicone provide more clarity/detail in sound?

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #20,934 of 22,945
You can play around with the filters as well (just be sure to correctly close the nozzle holder again) to get slightly different sound signatures as well if you prefer the foam tips. I only use the standard M foam tips on my SE846, to me they are The most comfortable option and best suited to the character of the SE846.

Tip rolling does allow for fine tuning the sound signature of IEMs, so it might be worth trying of course.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #20,935 of 22,945
Shure SE846 is really a nice IEM with great sound even though it has been around for a while. For anyone who are not happy or are having some sound issues with the SE846, I suggest to check and ensure the nozzles and filters are installed correctly. Similarly to ear tips, they need to be installed correctly and with proper seals. If not done right, it will give rise to sound issues like lackluster bass response, channel imbalance, lean sounds and the earphones will not sound good overall. Sometimes we may also not realized that the nozzles and filters are seated properly or they may have became loose over time.

To install the nozzles and filters properly, you need to follow the steps exactly as described in the user guide provided by Shure. Below are some pointers and suggestions :
  • Use the nozzle key to remove and install the SE846 nozzles by turning counter-clockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten the threaded collar respectively.
  • With the nozzles removed, you may as well clean the nozzles and filters of ears wax or any other dirt. I also suggest swapping the filters for the left with the right side and vise versa (it helps to troubleshoot any issue with filter itself if any).
  • When installing, put the filter into the nozzle and ensure the filter is seated completely in the nozzle. Put nozzle and filter into the socket on the earphone. Ensure 1) the marking (red dot) on nozzle is aligned to the marking on socket, and 2) the top of the filter is seated into the small hole inside the socket - important to ensure proper seal.
  • Finally, put threaded collar over nozzle and tighten by turning clockwise.
Once done properly, bass response will returned to normal again and the SE846 will sound good as it should be. Hope this helps.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #20,936 of 22,945
Ok, I have to confess: I have had a pair of Shure se846 since 2015 and I just have never truly enjoyed them, and now I want to dig down into what is going on here, given how popular they are. I got them through what was then called Massdrop, so I assume(d) that they were not fake. However, even with the black (warm) filters I just have never been impressed by the bass at all. Compared to the Sennheiser IE800's the bass is unimpressive, kind of muted. It seems to me to exhibit bass at about on the same level as my ER-4XR's, which have bass that is kind of "eh." Overall, the sound signature seems a bit bright, like something is missing. I have used them via my iPhone with a Dragonfly Red DAC; also with a TEAC portable amp, with a Cayin portable amp, with a small Fiio portable amp, and most recently with my newish Astell & Kern SR15 DAP. I have tried different ear tips.

I wonder if my expectations were/are off, and I also (still) wonder whether maybe my Shures might be defective or might be fakes after all. I plan to send them to Shure for their inspection, but if they are fake, they are darned good fakes and everyone who was part of that Mass drop back in 2015 must have gotten fakes, as well.

Is there anything else that might be going on here that I haven't thought of? Has anyone else been disappointed by the bass, which is supposed to be one of the selling points of this model?

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, CA
Had the same problem for two years, no bass, treble peaky, sibilance ....than I glued the nozzle ( with LCD glue) ....bam..bass come out...and I gave my 3 iems ( rha t20, t800, shoer tape) to my friends...because bass from 846 cannot compared to my 3 iems, mod black filter, use sedna ligth eartips for better sound stage, mono crystal cooper cable for better imaging......sorry for my bad english Screenshot_20200725-222733_Gallery.jpg

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #20,938 of 22,945
Had the same problem for two years, no bass, treble peaky, sibilance ....than I glued the nozzle ( with LCD glue) ....bam..bass come out...and I gave my 3 iems ( rha t20, t800, shoer tape) to my friends...because bass from 846 cannot compared to my 3 iems, mod black filter, use sedna ligth eartips for better sound stage, mono crystal cooper cable for better imaging......sorry for my bad englishScreenshot_20200725-222733_Gallery.jpg
I should double check the seal on mine. Isn’t there a rubber o-ring there?

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #20,940 of 22,945
Had the same problem for two years, no bass, treble peaky, sibilance ....than I glued the nozzle ( with LCD glue) ....bam..bass come out...and I gave my 3 iems ( rha t20, t800, shoer tape) to my friends...because bass

If you glue the nozzles, are the filters fixed in place permanently? What is LCD glue?
I confess that I have realized that in part, my expectations for the bass in the 846s has been unrealistic, i.e., I was comparing them to really, really bass-heavy headphones and IEMs, and I apparently have a strong preference for gobs of bass. For a lot of musical genres, e.g., classical, acoustic, most vocals, the 846s are fine.

Doug Greenberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back