Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #19,637 of 22,945
Silly question, but why do you want/need Bluetooth cables?
For me, it's simple. I want the sound signature/quality of my SE846 but the convenience of wireless sometimes.
Need? Heck no. Nobody needs a pair of SE846 either. :deadhorse:

Btw, the amp is a tad of the warm side but not overwhelming.

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #19,638 of 22,945
For me, it's simple. I want the sound signature/quality of my SE846 but the convenience of wireless sometimes.
Need? Heck no. Nobody needs a pair of SE846 either. :deadhorse:

Btw, the amp is a tad of the warm side but not overwhelming.
Cool, so what convenience do they bring? What are you actually doing/planning to do :)?
Just - keep your source in your man bag, your phone (remote for poly) in your pocket, and headphones round your neck?

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #19,639 of 22,945
Cool, so what convenience do they bring? What are you actually doing/planning to do :)?
Just - keep your source in your man bag, your phone (remote for poly) in your pocket, and headphones round your neck?
I personally don't like wire when I run and row. That's the main reason I bought my Jabra 65t and like it so much.
Often I walk around the house and don't want to lug around my source, on top of my phone. When I am at my computer desk, it's either the big cans off the WA22 or 846 from Fiio X7, running balanced.
I've waited till BT 5.0 to try out the Shure adapter. Honestly, it's just another toy to mess around with.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #19,640 of 22,945
Silly question, but why do you want/need Bluetooth cables?

For normal listening I’m wired all the way to my DX200Ti, QP1R or Hugo’s.

But I’ve started jogging and brisk walks, due to Doctors advice, and could do with losing weight. Was considering Bose, Sennheiser, Jabra’s etc about the £150-£180 mark to pair to phone, or better still newly acquired Apple Watch which only had Bluetooth connection. Only have shorter 846 cable working, and it’s not long enough under jacket and outside of jacket it’s flapping around.

Just as about to order a dedicated running earphone, saw this cable and ordered. And I felt it better to have a connected cable rather than true cableless with separate earpieces. Bluetooth is no problem, because out of an iPhone I don’t consider sound anywhere close to dedicated DAPs anyway.

Works very well, and I would guess better sound than the Jabra’s? Certainly good enough while jogging. Like the convenience of volume change while phone in pocket, and even better, volume control using crown on Apple Watch.

Only had a brief test round block at 11pm last night! But lovely feeling jogging hands free and flapless!

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #19,641 of 22,945
My BT2 arrived this morning. Long story short, I now have a kick ass pair of Bluetooth IEMs. :L3000:
After quite a few albums, I am pretty impressed with what I am hearing. The combo surely beats the crap out of my favorite Jabra Active 65t.

Was actually thinking of ordering Jabra 65 or Jabra Sport and seeing what solution was best before the prompt arrival of BT2 yesterday. Be interested in your comparisons of 65t and 846 / BT2. I’m not interested in heart rate or other included health Apps (enough on watch!) so how do they compare in use and sound?

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #19,642 of 22,945
Sounds interesting, thnx for sharing.
Looking forward to more feedbacks..

But.. “..rechargeable via USB MicroB cable.” ..we’re almost in 2019, why not USB C?

I have both Micro B and C cables coming out of an Anker 6 way unit. BT2 has 10 hours life apparently which is way more than most Bluetooth jogging earphones. What advantage would USB C have had?

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #19,643 of 22,945
I have both Micro B and C cables coming out of an Anker 6 way unit. BT2 has 10 hours life apparently which is way more than most Bluetooth jogging earphones. What advantage would USB C have had?

Technically it would have no advantage seeing as there's no data transfer going to happen over the port. Some people just prefer USB C because it's more robust. The wireless unit is a pretty small device so the use of micro over C could be an internal space saving measure by Shure.

I use my 846 in the gym so might look into the BT2 for use in there. The thick 8 core **** cable looks a little out of place
xd.gif

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #19,644 of 22,945
I personally don't like wire when I run and row. That's the main reason I bought my Jabra 65t and like it so much.
Often I walk around the house and don't want to lug around my source, on top of my phone. When I am at my computer desk, it's either the big cans off the WA22 or 846 from Fiio X7, running balanced.
I've waited till BT 5.0 to try out the Shure adapter. Honestly, it's just another toy to mess around with.

Same for me, which is why I think Shure got it a bit wrong with the RMCE-BT2 the large dongle, amp battery lump looks a bit inconvenient to me, which is why "I'm out" and won't be investing. :)

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #19,645 of 22,945
For people who travel every week like me, IMHO a big advantage, one cable less (that I can loose.. :)) in the bag.

I use the SE846 mostly in planes/gyms so I'm looking forward to replace the A&K XB10 with something with longer battery life (BT2, check) and USB C (one cable for SP1000Cu and this..).
But anyway the BT2 seems much more convenient than a cable + XB10.. so I'm quite interested, thnx for the feedback so far.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #19,646 of 22,945
Same for me, which is why I think Shure got it a bit wrong with the RMCE-BT2 the large dongle, amp battery lump looks a bit inconvenient to me, which is why "I'm out" and won't be investing. :)

But anyway the BT2 seems much more convenient than a cable + XB10.. so I'm quite interested, thnx for the feedback so far.

The dongle seems surprisingly light, just tucked under t-shirt, and couldn't feel it.

But I did have about 6 brief cut-outs during 30 minute mix of jogging/brisk walking (Couch 2 5K App) this morning. Wonder if it's phone, cable or iems, have never cleaned contacts, mind you they never been out of house until last few weeks.
It seemed more while walking rather than jogging. Will test around house this afternoon for half an hour, also try direct from watch, see if its consistent.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #19,647 of 22,945
While moving about, I don't find the 846 Bluetooth sound inferior to straight from a phone.
A good DAP/DAC adds spaciousness, timbre and naturalness compared to an iPhone but moving around, most of this would be lost anyway.

Actually surprised how good 846s can sound via BT, the low bass of Cameo's 'Word Up' caught me by surprise while walking just with my Apple watch, it still brings out the 846 qualities that even now stand up against many higher priced iems.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #19,648 of 22,945
Has anyone tried the white filter with removing the foam? I'm tired of the rolled off treble and have tried just about everything else. Tips, etc.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #19,649 of 22,945
Has anyone tried the white filter with removing the foam? I'm tired of the rolled off treble and have tried just about everything else. Tips, etc.

The white filter doesn't have foam in it. That's as trebly as you're gonna get.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #19,650 of 22,945
I did. But too much treble and not enough bass. I've been using the blues with the foam removed for years. You get the treble but still have the low bass. Best option for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back