Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #18,286 of 22,945
Seeking opinions for the best DAP+AMP :> I see here mostly everyone been using Fiio products. Anyone tried SE846 with any Sony Walkman NW-ZX300 or 100, or NW-WM1A or NW-A40 or 30 ? Sony products looks way expensive than Fiio. Is it just because of the 'Sony' brand ? Is Fiio making built quality DAC like sony? My ears are really sensitive for detail. I haven't tried Fiio or Sony yet, only been listening through phones and pcs. but now need to make a choice. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #18,287 of 22,945
I'm not a fan of the brand when it comes to pairing with Shure earphones. The few I tried had hiss (other than the E12A) and were either muddy or screechy. I've also noticed over time that review scores of their products are gradually declining.
All of that is in regard to sound. In terms of usability they're known to be crap across the board.

If you can afford to venture into the $700 segment, then the Chord Mojo and Shure SHA900 (which I personally recommend) are an option.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #18,288 of 22,945
I am currently using the ER4-XR I was wondering How much better the SE846 Is compared to them? If someone owns Or have you tried Both Can you let me know please Thinking of picking up the SE846.

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #18,291 of 22,945
Has anyone seen an SE846 with an extra red wire in the earpiece? Look authentic, but seems to have been repaired or modified.

Attachments

• 2004A075-0726-4D12-AF4C-EBF58D0DEEE9.jpeg
    2004A075-0726-4D12-AF4C-EBF58D0DEEE9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • ABC69721-40DA-4AD5-9113-AE3C10FA4DD7.jpeg
    ABC69721-40DA-4AD5-9113-AE3C10FA4DD7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #18,296 of 22,945
Oh I see. That look's interesting. Where did you find it?
In China for sale second hand. Everything about the iem is identical except the extra wire and a tiny bit of extra solder. I am guessing it has been repaired, possibly even by Shure. That fourth wire is making a connection that I believe was originally a flat ribbon connection. Perhaps when repairing they have to use a full wire instead of trying to replace the whole assembly or some unauthorized tech has made the repair.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #18,297 of 22,945

Recommending the spinfit bi-flange CP240-M eartips. I was a fan of the CP-100m for awhile and didn't realize they made this product recently. I get deep insertion with them and no fatigue/soreness in 30 minutes of owning it. I update again if it gets bad or annoying. I was annoyed with nearly all of the differfent stock eartips provided by shure(triple flange was decent but it would shrivel up and it gets annoying trying to flip them outwards every week with another set). Also it comes with 6 rubber sockets for shure or similar nozzle IEMs

https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP240-M-Patented-Replacement-Headphone/dp/B06VVRXHG1/

Many thanks to @Tranman409 for the above link! These tips are quite unique in that they give foam-like isolation, but are also really comfortable and are unlikely to deteriorate and go icky within a few weeks (like many foam tips do). I see one small (possible) downside when used with the SE846, which is that they seem to share another feature of foam tips, which is to somewhat roll-off the higher frequencies:

SpinFits_S_vs_D.png

One other surprise when I opened the box... I'd been used to SpinFits coming three pairs to a packet. These CP240 eartips come with only ONE pair in a box. At $11 a pair, these are more expensive than even Comply foam.

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #18,298 of 22,945
Many thanks to @Tranman409 for the above link! These tips are quite unique in that they give foam-like isolation, but are also really comfortable and are unlikely to deteriorate and go icky within a few weeks (like many foam tips do). I see one small (possible) downside when used with the SE846, which is that they seem to share another feature of foam tips, which is to somewhat roll-off the higher frequencies:

One other surprise when I opened the box... I'd been used to SpinFits coming three pairs to a packet. These CP240 eartips come with only ONE pair in a box. At $11 a pair, these are more expensive than even Comply foam.

Expensive, but I gather these are built to last a while. We'll see!

I did notice the rolloff on the highs - I just previously done the "Blue-Filter Mod" and it is like it ALMOST undid the mod! :wink:

Actually, I expected a different signature with these, and will go messing with my filters all over to see if there is a sweet combo. This one actually might work well with the white filters - I'm definitely going to try that along with the other combinations, and I'll get back. I am MOSTLY liking these! In fact, they seem to better impart a 3-D quality to panning than the one's I've been using lately - an unexpected surprise! (Noticed listening to the final cut, "Bladerunner" on the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack, which has a most amazing panned guitar-ish sound swimming around your brain.)

Terry

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #18,299 of 22,945
Well, I returned my 8's to the normal blue filters again, with the foam material replaced, but this time with the "trishd mod" applied. It sounds very nice with the Spinfit double-flange tips. Good and punchy marvelous bass, as with the blue filter normally, but with a slight lift to the highs that works well for the Spinfits.

Have yet to try the white filters with the Spinfits. Too busy enjoying the current setup! :)

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back