Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #18,256 of 22,942
My recommendation would be not to buy a phone without a headphone jack. I recently picked up an LG V30. It's awesome! It's sound output is so good, most people wouldn't need to carry a separate DAP :)

That is exactly why I recently purchased an HTC-10 - a flagship item from 2016 - rather than anything more recent. It has not only a headphone jack, but a GREAT headphone jack and DAC/Amp combo.

We definitely have to fight back against this trend of removing headphone jacks from phones.

Terry

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #18,257 of 22,942
You got me wrong, I'm not a proponent of headphone jack removal and I don't intend to buy a new phone soon. I'm just trying to understand my emergency options in case my current phone breaks and I can't find a replacement that has a headphone jack and stock Android.

I consider both USB-to-9mm dongles and OEM crapware cancerous.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #18,258 of 22,942
We definitely have to fight back against this trend of removing headphone jacks from phones.

Terry

You and me, bro! We are now an army of two! :)

You got me wrong, I'm not a proponent of headphone jack removal and I don't intend to buy a new phone soon. I'm just trying to understand my emergency options in case my current phone breaks and I can't find a replacement that has a headphone jack and stock Android.

But you easily can! @tbritton and I have just given you two examples.

P.S. Sorry, I understand what you mean. You want stock Android. Hmmmm... Not sure, but I think I'd take a tiny skin and (mostly removable/hideable) bloatware over no headphone jack.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #18,259 of 22,942
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #18,261 of 22,942
Hello group: 2 questions, please -- tyia:

1.) FIIO X1 2ND GEN': SHOULD I BUY a FIIO PORTABLE AMP'?

This group steered me to buy a Fiio x1 2nd gen to use (which will replace my Sandisk sport players): The Fiio has arrived with advertising for two different portable amps of theirs that I could buy--I didn't know there were small, not-bulky amps' I could buy so I'm interested (because I 'run around' indoors and outdoors wearing the Fiio player+se846. . What does the amp' do (to the sound that I'll hear)? If I buy one, which of the 2 should I buy, or, should I buy some other brand?

2.) MICRO SD CARD PURCHASE: SHOULD I BUY the SANDISK ULTRA PLUS ....or.... SANDISK ULTRA??

SEE BELOW: is this the correct micro sd card I ought to buy for my new Fiio x1 2nd gen? The pictures have it seem the 1st two (in the row of pics' below) are 'Ultra PLUS' and the bottom pic' is of a 'PLUS' - is this an important difference?? I'm confused because on amazon, it says that the 'Ultra', model
SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-128G-GN6MA,
is the new, improved product, but that doesn't make sense (one would think the 'Ultra PLUS' would be the newer, 'better' product...).

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #18,262 of 22,942
All you SE846 lovers... if you ever have the chance to listen to the InEar Prophile-8, do so. Don't kill me afterwards cause you just spent a lot of money though... :D

Take everything you love about the SE846 and make everything better. That's the PP8.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #18,264 of 22,942
Sounds intriguing! Do you have any measurements to share with us?

Next week. :wink:

For now, here's some I found online. The guy has a calibrated DIY coupler setup that seems quite accurate from what I can see. will see how it matches up with my own measurements.

The bass is unreal. Not as in "super heavy" but tight and really well defined. 4 BA's for bass has to come in handy :)

DEFAULT SETTING = green, BASS SWITCH ON = yellow
InEar-ProPhile-8-bassdefault-web.jpg

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #18,265 of 22,942
Next week. :wink:

For now, here's some I found online. The guy has a calibrated DIY coupler setup that seems quite accurate from what I can see. will see how it matches up with my own measurements.

The bass is unreal. Not as in "super heavy" but tight and really well defined. 4 BA's for bass has to come in handy :)

DEFAULT SETTING = green, BASS SWITCH ON = yellow
InEar-ProPhile-8-bassdefault-web.jpg

That actually looks pretty good - assuming it's uncompensated (which I'm sure it was!). Thanks for sharing :)

P.S. Oh dang. I just googled this IEM and saw its short, stubby nozzles. I already know I'm going to have fit issues with this thing :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #18,267 of 22,942
Group, TY so much for helping me with my purchases of accessory items for se846. Updates:

1. I ordered a 10 pack of the Shure yellow foam sleeves and got those for only $1.05/pair (net cost) which seems like a bargain.

2. The Fiio X1ii arrived and I've spent hours listening. I trusted and took 'your' advice on that $90 purchase: I was absolutely shocked at how much more incredible and finely detailed it made - ecstasy !! The Sandisk sport I had been using now feels like crud and quite instantly I knew I'd be giving that away once I buy a 2nd Fiio (which will be an upgrade from this one !!). A few comments:

a. I like this Jeremy Camp ('The Way' is my fav' of all): That dear Jeremy must NOT use the finest in audio equipment, because, sadly, the quality of all of his recordings - even his 2009 "Live" cd - is clearly inferior to the 3 other fav' artists I'm favoring right now (Keane, Above/Beyond's Alex Vargas & Richard Bedford), & M.J.) - what a shame !!
b. A few songs 'leaped' at me out of the Fiio with the pure beauty newly exposed to me by using the Fiio ! One song, to which I've listened prob' 100Xs, doesn't even sound like the same song! Nicole/Enrique duet of Heartbeat -- go to the end of it - pretty much 'blew my mind' with what I now heard -- at the end of that song, they 'hit' you in the left ear and the right ear with all sorts of 'back and forth' vocals and instruments entering my left ear or right, and they even do 'vice versa' tricks with the sounds. So I wiki'ed that song and clicked around and read it's 2 producers who are wizards at 'special effects' and they were pulling some of the newer tricks with that duet.
3. I don't many things online, but maybe this will be a tip for a few of you: I had 'saved' some items in my amazon, and this time when I clicked in there were 15% off 'coupons' on many of the items (not all items-- EG, discount on the gourmet gummy worms, but not on the laptop...l).

4. The Fiio X1ii definitely has one software 'bug' to it, maybe 2 (the latter could be a setting issue - there's a whole lot of fine detail on the settings...), and what's frustrating is Fiio has 'the fix' but NO WAY can I understand their directions of how I'm to get the software updated with it - I have the software uploaded/downloaded into the device itself, but there's SUPPOSED to be some sort of special 'file' where it has to be placed in order to do the update. ONE TIME I booted up and it 'opened' with the screen showing the 2 basic files, but that was only because I randomly stumbled on it and didn't know until later that that HAD TO BE 'the right place' where I was to paste the 'fix' into one of those file folders....... dang it.... Also, IMO, Fiio's user instructions/guide is written HORRIBLE !! Whoever they let write the user guide was ESL ('ESL'=speaks English as a Second Langg')., at minimum, but prob' EThirdL or EFourthL !!

DEFINITELY right away I'll be buying the nicer Fiio this group suggested to me (which, if I recall correctly, you said costs $400). I am HOPING the user guide will have been written by ANYBODY other than the present doofus.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #18,268 of 22,942
Here's my $0.02's worth on FiiO DAPs.

As much as I love FiiO, I think there are only really two (maybe three?) of their products that are good choices for the SE846.

X1ii is the best value for money - great sound quality in a tiny package and it doesn't cost that much.

X7ii is one of the best-sounding DAPs I've heard (at any price) and it has tons of features (touchscreen, full Android system with the Google Play Store, WiFi streaming, etc.). But it's way more expensive ($650).

The X5ii is a bit of a brick, but it has an incredibly low (basically silent) noise floor with the SE846. (You're going to notice a bit of hiss with most of their other DAPs, including the X1ii and X7ii.)

IMHO, most other FiiO products, like X3 (all generations) and X5iii involve compromises which aren't worth the price difference. The amp on the X5iii isn't that clean - I guarantee you'll hear this problem with the SE846. X3 doesn't offer a significant bump in SQ from X1ii and its extra features (USB DAC mode and balanced output in the latest model) won't be that relevant to most people.

The problem for FiiO is that their X1ii and X7ii are both so good, I can't really see much of a need for their intermediate products.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #18,270 of 22,942
TY for link about moedawg - he's a really kind guy !

I see I can buy that Westone sleeve mixed kit (the 2 types you named) for $20 net price --- is that a good price?

I'm next buying the Fiio X7. To be clear, I buy the X7i NOT the X7ii CORRECT???
And, I find it new for $413 net price on ebay -ok to go ahead and buy this one??---
Sell now
FiiO X7 32GB Hi-Res Lossless WAV FLAC AAC MP3 Audio Music Player Titanium
Price:
US $400.00
Delivery in 4 days
New condition

do you think I should be worried about buying it discounted on ebay? (I've bought several new portable audio electronics off ebay and never once had a problem...).

tyia for reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back