Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #16,442 of 22,945
  iphone 7 is not a player.
and do not understand how people can phone to use either as a player.

Because some people add a Chord Mojo / Hugo to their iPhone :p

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #16,444 of 22,945
I've had the "8s" for a few months. My first high-end IEM. Previously was using Vsonic VSD3S and before that Skullcandy 50/50 and a few others I won't even mention. All suffered from bloated, woofy bass, veiled mids, sibilant highs, etc. All disappointing. Prior to in-ears had/have HD580 with Cardas, Grado SR225, HD280, v6/7506 and others (Koss, AKG among others), all through a META42 amp bought from an old-school DIYFSE Head-Fier (JMT :wink:. Source back then was a Rotel CDP (part of my pre-HP system with Rotel IA and KEF floor standing speakers).

Don’t consider myself an audiophile but greatly enjoyed all of this mid-tier equipment for many, many years as I went from post-college apartment/roommate living to marriage/kids/house, etc.

Source eventually became an iPod and later various iPhones/devices. I'm now, just recently, on an iPhone 7+ with Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter and SE846 (stock cable, SpinFits, white filters) and have to say this combo is probably the best audio I've ever heard, bar none (speakers, open/closed back full-sized cans, in-ears, you name it). Revealing, detailed, not harsh (I’m sibilance sensitive), perhaps a little laid-back (Sennheiser-y) but somehow forward at the same time — front row — like Grado. Mids are present, lush (vocals, etc.) And the bass — impact/slam for days but somehow still on the “polite” side. Bass feels like its in a class of its own as far as isolation and extension. I use the Shure volume control inline to max out the phone’s level.

My question is: is this it? Can it really be this simple? Don't I need an amp/DAC, silver cable, dedicated DAP, etc., etc.? What am I missing? There’s more, right? Maybe even a LOT more?

Should I put a Chord Mojo in between the phone and the Shures? Will it _really_ sound significantly better (subjective I know). It’s a bit rich for my blood atm. Is there a "budget Mojo" amp/DAC combo I should try (i.e. Dragonfly Red)? What else (not ready to change IEMs)?

Or, are we at the point where this (relatively) simple combo (though not cheap at all) is solidly, noticeably better than 98% of what's out there for those of middling 1st-world means?

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #16,445 of 22,945
[COLOR=454545]I've had the "8s" for a few months. My first high-end IEM. Previously was using Vsonic VSD3S and before that Skullcandy 50/50 and a few others I won't even mention. All suffered from bloated, woofy bass, veiled mids, sibilant highs, etc. All disappointing. Prior to in-ears had/have HD580 with Cardas, Grado SR225, HD280, v6/7506 and others (Koss, AKG among others), all through a META42 amp bought from an old-school DIYFSE Head-Fier (JMT :wink:. Source back then was a Rotel CDP (part of my pre-HP system with Rotel IA and KEF floor standing speakers).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Don’t consider myself an audiophile but greatly enjoyed all of this mid-tier equipment for many, many years as I went from post-college apartment/roommate living to marriage/kids/house, etc.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Source eventually became an iPod and later various iPhones/devices. I'm now, just recently, on an iPhone 7+ with Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter and SE846 (stock cable, SpinFits, white filters) and have to say this combo is probably the best audio I've ever heard, bar none (speakers, open/closed back full-sized cans, in-ears, you name it). Revealing, detailed, not harsh (I’m sibilance sensitive), perhaps a little laid-back (Sennheiser-y) but somehow forward at the same time — front row — like Grado. Mids are present, lush (vocals, etc.) And the bass — impact/slam for days but somehow still on the “polite” side. Bass feels like its in a class of its own as far as isolation and extension. I use the Shure volume control inline to max out the phone’s level.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]My question is: is this it? Can it really be this simple? Don't I need an amp/DAC, silver cable, dedicated DAP, etc., etc.? What am I missing? There’s more, right? Maybe even a LOT more?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Should I put a Chord Mojo in between the phone and the Shures? Will it _really_ sound significantly better (subjective I know). It’s a bit rich for my blood atm. Is there a "budget Mojo" amp/DAC combo I should try (i.e. Dragonfly Red)? What else (not ready to change IEMs)?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Or, are we at the point where this (relatively) simple combo (though not cheap at all) is solidly, noticeably better than 98% of what's out there for those of middling 1st-world means?[/COLOR]

Well... it's a good combo, but from my perspective it's not at 98%. What percent is it? I don't know, but I can name many many combos that are superior to this combo. How many of them are this portable though? Not many.

For me, the use case for the SE846 is as a very compact travel gear. Rarely do I listen to them at home. As for IEMs in the under $1000 range, they are one of the best, if not the best. You can get incremental improvement in your sound through the Oppo HA-2, if the Mojo is not your thing. As a bonus, it's much better for travel stacks than the Mojo, natively pairs with your iPhone, and it's half the price.

If all out sound quality is what you're after, then you should look into full sized open-back headphones again. As I'm sure you're well aware, sound quality and diminishing returns fully apply.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #16,446 of 22,945
[COLOR=454545]I've had the "8s" for a few months. My first high-end IEM. Previously was using Vsonic VSD3S and before that Skullcandy 50/50 and a few others I won't even mention. All suffered from bloated, woofy bass, veiled mids, sibilant highs, etc. All disappointing. Prior to in-ears had/have HD580 with Cardas, Grado SR225, HD280, v6/7506 and others (Koss, AKG among others), all through a META42 amp bought from an old-school DIYFSE Head-Fier (JMT :wink:. Source back then was a Rotel CDP (part of my pre-HP system with Rotel IA and KEF floor standing speakers).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Don’t consider myself an audiophile but greatly enjoyed all of this mid-tier equipment for many, many years as I went from post-college apartment/roommate living to marriage/kids/house, etc.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Source eventually became an iPod and later various iPhones/devices. I'm now, just recently, on an iPhone 7+ with Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter and SE846 (stock cable, SpinFits, white filters) and have to say this combo is probably the best audio I've ever heard, bar none (speakers, open/closed back full-sized cans, in-ears, you name it). Revealing, detailed, not harsh (I’m sibilance sensitive), perhaps a little laid-back (Sennheiser-y) but somehow forward at the same time — front row — like Grado. Mids are present, lush (vocals, etc.) And the bass — impact/slam for days but somehow still on the “polite” side. Bass feels like its in a class of its own as far as isolation and extension. I use the Shure volume control inline to max out the phone’s level.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]My question is: is this it? Can it really be this simple? Don't I need an amp/DAC, silver cable, dedicated DAP, etc., etc.? What am I missing? There’s more, right? Maybe even a LOT more?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Should I put a Chord Mojo in between the phone and the Shures? Will it _really_ sound significantly better (subjective I know). It’s a bit rich for my blood atm. Is there a "budget Mojo" amp/DAC combo I should try (i.e. Dragonfly Red)? What else (not ready to change IEMs)?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454545]Or, are we at the point where this (relatively) simple combo (though not cheap at all) is solidly, noticeably better than 98% of what's out there for those of middling 1st-world means?[/COLOR]

Over the last three years I've heard an awful lot of gear through the 846s. iPhone reproduction was enjoyable until I heard my first DAP! Even cheap Fiios and iBasso made a significant difference, opening up the sound. Adding a Mojo takes it a step higher giving music back its organic sound. But then some iPhone users will say they hear no difference so only advice is to try yourself. Same in days of hifi, some hear no difference between a £300 All in one and £2000 separates. Guess they save money!

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #16,447 of 22,945
Over the last three years I've heard an awful lot of gear through the 846s. iPhone reproduction was enjoyable until I heard my first DAP! Even cheap Fiios and iBasso made a significant difference, opening up the sound. Adding a Mojo takes it a step higher giving music back its organic sound. But then some iPhone users will say they hear no difference so only advice is to try yourself. Same in days of hifi, some hear no difference between a £300 All in one and £2000 separates. Guess they save money!

In a year long span i found the opposite to be truth. Where many so-called audiophile sources hissed with the SE846 the iPhone 6 was always pitch black and never could hear anything on these bricks that i could not hear as clearly on the iPhone. And in any case, any 5% difference could never offset the convenience and the simplicity of just plugging the SE846s into the iPhone 6.

So i think this is a to each his own scenario where personal assessment can not be overiden.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #16,448 of 22,945
"My question is: is this it? Can it really be this simple? Don't I need an amp/DAC, silver cable, dedicated DAP, etc., etc.? What am I missing? There’s more, right? Maybe even a LOT more?"

One can ask this about just about everything and yes there are better speakers, cars, homes, wine, hp, dacs, cables .....is it worth it, does it matter, sure it does but take a step back and baby steps.
The 846 was a step, it was a choice, it made a difference didn't it? Was it worth it? Now relax and enjoy the iem. This hobby is individual dependant on one of your senses, like wine, there is the good stuff but not everything is equally better to you. Once you become familiar with what is good, you can't go back. Become familiar with what is good to you.
The one concern I have, I understand target pricing and elasticity of demand, is that folks take a cheapest route to piecemeal upgrades which I get, but is it necessary to get 235,435,535,then 846? Take the time, save your money, when you make an upgrade, don't cheap out and hopefully try it out. Did that tighter bass mean much, did you notice the 3D mid note bubble feel, did you saviour the sound stage expansion, did the vocal make the hairs on your arm stand up. Good, try the next component upgrade. Pause, saviour, repeat.
Diminishing returns, wallet size, personal perceptions make this a no cookie cutter approach. But the cans or iem are the most important part of the chain and low impediance or easy to power cans and iem are a blessing and don't need as much consideration but consider dac amps then cables ( don't cheap out ) or be happy with the phone and your new purchase.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #16,449 of 22,945
Well my own experience is that I can hear a difference between my samsung S7 alone and my dedicated desktop balanced DAC/amp the Geek Pulse X-fi. However the difference is not night and day. Sure the dedicated combo  is slightly clearer, smoother, punchier, more extended and with better imaging. BUT you get a very very big chunk of what musically matters just through the samsung, you don't feel it is handicapped in any way and there is nothing really missing. OK the Geek is more involving at the end of the day but still I was impressed by how well the 846 sound through a basic user set-up. 
Regarding experience with over ear I have the senn HD600 and I MUCH prefer the IEM's. I even prefer the Shure 315's to the HD600 overall. Maybe it is just me but the over ear imaging of headphones does not gel with me. It seems more artificial than the inner ear one. Good IEM's seem to me more coherent musically even though the imaging is inside my head but somehow sounds more natural than over ear. Yesterday at an audio show I had the chance to audition the HD 800 and various other over ear headphones like audio technica range on good head amps and still I preferred the sound of the SE846. It is just more involving for me and the perception of bass only matches some very good closed over ear HP's. 
I feel that everybody has a different approach/sensitivity to headphone listening.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #16,450 of 22,945

My question is: is this it? Can it really be this simple? Don't I need an amp/DAC, silver cable, dedicated DAP, etc., etc.? What am I missing? There’s more, right? Maybe even a LOT more?

Should I put a Chord Mojo in between the phone and the Shures? Will it _really_ sound significantly better (subjective I know). It’s a bit rich for my blood atm. Is there a "budget Mojo" amp/DAC combo I should try (i.e. Dragonfly Red)? What else (not ready to change IEMs)?

I'd suggest that if you feel the need to spend $600 for another "component"...to try and somehow find another $300 and go into a standalone QP1R. If you're already OK with carrying 2 pcs of equipment (phone and DAC/Amp), then get a standalone that will provide everything you're looking for with the power to drive future headphone/IEM choices. Unless of course you are tied to streaming...in which case the Questyle wouldn't do it for you. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #16,451 of 22,945
Thanks very much for everyone's perspectives, very helpful. I will likely take Whazzup's advice and just sit tight and maybe other than some tip-rolling, and upgrading more of my library to FLAC, learn to appreciate this level of sound from a simple source --> cans setup for awhile. Only thing that still tugs at me when I'm listening is that I feel the soundstage could be a great deal wider. What eventual component/upgrade (other than the IEMs themselves) would folks suggest to get more width? Depth and positioning are good, amazing even, just feels a little boxed in sometimes. Would a cable likely contribute much to soundstage?

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #16,452 of 22,945
Edited due to personal redundancy... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #16,453 of 22,945
  Thanks very much for everyone's perspectives, very helpful. I will likely take Whazzup's advice and just sit tight and maybe other than some tip-rolling, and upgrading more of my library to FLAC, learn to appreciate this level of sound from a simple source --> cans setup for awhile. Only thing that still tugs at me when I'm listening is that I feel the soundstage could be a great deal wider. What eventual component/upgrade (other than the IEMs themselves) would folks suggest to get more width? Depth and positioning are good, amazing even, just feels a little boxed in sometimes. Would a cable likely contribute much to soundstage?

I felt this too with my lower range SE425's and my iPhone 6S+ in that it sounds great, it really does to me..................
However, I spend most of my time listening at home, for this I plug in my Mojo and enjoy the sounds even more. It most definitely improves the soundstage and this to me is an important thing when I listen to music. I prefer the sound through the Mojo as well. I am not saying that the Mojo is, of course, the only thing that will do this.
On another note you ask about cables. This one really is hard. I have a Toxic Cables SW24 cable and converter so I can use it with the iPhone alone or with the Mojo or TRRS with my Sony NW-ZX2. I prefer the sound via this cable and I spent a long time thinking before I bought it. Even when I go 'portable' this cable goes with me.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #16,455 of 22,945
I found the knowles green filter to have a better soundstage and it is close to the white shure filter. However the green is a little bit less heavier on the bass. For me the bass is at a premium in HP's and IEM since that is where I feel there is a big difference with respect to speakers. The 846 were a revelation in this respect where you don't feel anything missing in that department.

Now with the knowles filters I beg to differ with others. I tried the brown which is popular but felt it too bright and weak in the famous 846 bass. The green for me is better but still there is a small sacrifice in the bass compared eg to the shure white filter. I unfortunately did not foresee that I would need the red so I didn't get it just the white, brown and green. But to be honest what I see many people here touting as huge improvements in SQ is just increases in mid to high freq response which is exactly what the measurements show.
First of all the buds are more efficient with the knowles brown vs the blue shure and it might seem to some that there is a substantial quality improvement initially because the sound in the mid-range is a few db louder and the louder high freq give the impression of detail. I am surprised nobody felt a reduction in bass comparatively. So when changing filters you should tweak your output by 1 or 2 db to take account of the increase in efficiency in order to evaluate if the FR is to your taste.
I feel the shure white filter is for now a good compromise for my ears at least but I know everybody's tastes are very different. However I thought the soundstaging with the green was a bit more "spacious".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back