Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #15,301 of 22,945
I must be an outlier because anything other than the black nozzle drives me nuts with high-frequency shrillness.   I've never had to tone high-frequencies down with any other iems or headphones.  I worry that my source has too high an output impedance and the shrillness is not the SE's fault, but distortion or over-emphasis because of near impedance matching at high frequencies.  

For reference, I have a Calyx M (with M-Jack) and an Onkyo DP-X1.  The former is <2 Ohms, the latter is 1 Ohm.  But at 5K, the SEs get down to 4-5 Ohms. 

Anybody have/had similar problems?  Anyone with a solution (other than buy new IEMs--my wife would kill me)?

I have vamp Verza with an impediance miss match of 8 ohms that's a factor of what 32, and have no shrillness. Matter of fact the bass just seems full and the middle upper isn't that thin at all, so can't comment on what you hear.

May 12, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #15,303 of 22,945
I'm pretty sure I've read the white filters don't use any bass either? I thought they just opened up the highs.

Try it out and get back to us on that.

May 12, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #15,304 of 22,945
I found with my limited experience in cables that the copper provides the more masculine and dramatic experience as you said and the silver has tighter,cleaner and somewhat sparkly lows with faster decay which contributes to the perception of lesser.I am using a silver cable with se846 and ZX2 and as i said before it is quality deep  bass but change to stock and the impact is slightly bigger.We are talking about small differences here and the se846 in no way is lacking in the rumble department but in combination with white filter i can see someone wanting more bass after hearing the stock sound.

May 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #15,306 of 22,945
  I'm pretty sure I've read the white filters don't use any bass either? I thought they just opened up the highs.

I can say with some level of certainty that unless you EQ the bass or are using an external amp with a bass boost function, that the bass will be lacking with the White filters. I kidded myself at times that the bass was enough using a silver cable without the bass boost function of the E12A amp. Even with a new DAP, the White filters don't cut it for me in the way of bass delivery. The stock unmodified Blues sound muddy to my ears now, but only after listening to the Blues with all of the foam removed. So that's my personal choice. I've got 2 pair of stock Blues so I think I'm going to experiment with removing just one piece of foam instead of both...and which piece to remove. Either way...I know that it'll sacrifice the  crystalline highs that I'm hearing right now. You can only get so much change by swapping or modding filters.
Try to keep in mind that if you were listening to another IEM, that you wouldn't have such flexibility. Good luck deciding!  
smile.gif

May 13, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #15,307 of 22,945
I'm looking for SE846 filters sound that is between blue and black. Does anyone know where to get those?  Basically not so much base as black, but slightly lighter.

May 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #15,308 of 22,945
I'm looking for SE846 filters sound that is between blue and black. Does anyone know where to get those?  Basically not so much base as black, but slightly lighter.

Technically no such thing, but you could try modding the black filter by removing the foamie. I have not tried that tho.

May 13, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #15,309 of 22,945
Hi
Has anyone tested the 846 with the fiio x7 am2 or the am5. Thanks

I heard the X7 with the am2 amp at the recent SoCal CanJam, but I've not heard it with the am5 or original amps, so I can't make a comparison with those. I can tell you I was impressed with the sound from the X7/am2 with my SE846 (modded blue filters, Spinfit tips and Westone adventure cable). Along with the Chord Dave, it was one of my most positive impressions from that CanJam meeting. I'd love an X7 owner to chime in here, because sometimes background noise at these meetings makes it hard to pick out certain possible issues. One example - I'm hypersensitive to noise floors and am bothered by hiss on devices where others swear they can't even detect any. My X5ii has an extremely low noise floor with the SE846, which is quite impressive, given that almost every other DAP out there hisses noticeably with the 846. I'd expect the X7 to have a similarly low noise floor with the 846, but that might change with more powerful amp modules(?). Any X7 owners out there that have all these amp modules?

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on an X7 for a while now, but I still need to justify it (or hide it?!) from the wife :wink: Actually, I guess I'm still trying to justify it to myself. I like FiiO's products, but... The 846 doesn't need a powerful amp. They're sensitive enough that almost any amp can drive them to ear-splitting levels without risk of clipping. I'm not sure the 846 would justify the am2 or am5 modules. (N.B. Even though the S/N ratio is higher with am2 and am5, their THD+N measures higher than that of the original amp, and they'll also drain the battery faster.) Even my Galaxy S7 Edge goes plenty loud enough with the 846. BTW, the Galaxy S7s also play lossless FLAC natively, accept a 200 Gb microSD card and stream music from whatever services you want, so they basically do everything the X7 does. Sure,there are sound quality differences between really good DAPs and really good smartphones, but those differences are getting awfully small these days. It won't be long before smartphone audio catches up and/or FiiO add a cellular radio to the X9. I'm still not sure the price difference (and hauling an extra device) is really worth it, at least for portable, on-the-go use where background noise may obscure those subtle improvements. To my ears, eartips and even cables make a bigger impact on SQ than the choice of DAP for the 846. But heck, I'm probably still going to buy an X7 :)

May 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #15,310 of 22,945
Are you coming to this on Sunday @csglinux (or anyone else)?

I would attend the event if you can.  I'd like for you (and anyone who attends) to hear a few new products I'll be bringing in tow. 
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #15,311 of 22,945

Hi
Has anyone tested the 846 with the fiio x7 am2 or the am5. Thanks

I heard the X7 with the am2 amp at the recent SoCal CanJam, but I've not heard it with the am5 or original amps, so I can't make a comparison with those. I can tell you I was impressed with the sound from the X7/am2 with my SE846 (modded blue filters, Spinfit tips and Westone adventure cable). Along with the Chord Dave, it was one of my most positive impressions from that CanJam meeting. I'd love an X7 owner to chime in here, because sometimes background noise at these meetings makes it hard to pick out certain possible issues. One example - I'm hypersensitive to noise floors and am bothered by hiss on devices where others swear they can't even detect any. My X5ii has an extremely low noise floor with the SE846, which is quite impressive, given that almost every other DAP out there hisses noticeably with the 846. I'd expect the X7 to have a similarly low noise floor with the 846, but that might change with more powerful amp modules(?). Any X7 owners out there that have all these amp modules?

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on an X7 for a while now, but I still need to justify it (or hide it?!) from the wife :wink: Actually, I guess I'm still trying to justify it to myself. I like FiiO's products, but... The 846 doesn't need a powerful amp. They're sensitive enough that almost any amp can drive them to ear-splitting levels without risk of clipping. I'm not sure the 846 would justify the am2 or am5 modules. (N.B. Even though the S/N ratio is higher with am2 and am5, their THD+N measures higher than that of the original amp, and they'll also drain the battery faster.) Even my Galaxy S7 Edge goes plenty loud enough with the 846. BTW, the Galaxy S7s also play lossless FLAC natively, accept a 200 Gb microSD card and stream music from whatever services you want, so they basically do everything the X7 does. Sure,there are sound quality differences between really good DAPs and really good smartphones, but those differences are getting awfully small these days. It won't be long before smartphone audio catches up and/or FiiO add a cellular radio to the X9. I'm still not sure the price difference (and hauling an extra device) is really worth it, at least for portable, on-the-go use where background noise may obscure those subtle improvements. To my ears, eartips and even cables make a bigger impact on SQ than the choice of DAP for the 846. But heck, I'm probably still going to buy an X7 :)

dap or dac amps make a difference, but not all are created equal. Its not just about getting loud. Its about note representation, tonality, and fulness. The soundscape as it were. This is personal decisions based on your preferences, and 846 responds accordingly. My phone, my vamp verza and hugo all have different signatures and I like them all. However the phone direct is a last resort and for the leanness of portability but works fine. 

May 13, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #15,313 of 22,945
  Many thanks for the heads-up on this Moedawg!  I'm going to check with the boss... :wink:

Yes, the boss rules all...hope she will approve! 
redface.gif

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

May 13, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #15,315 of 22,945
  Sadly, no, this is my actual boss  
eek.gif
We have deadlines and he wants me to work Saturday. Oh yes, and also Sunday.

Ah, okay...then that means there may be a better chance of me seeing you then!  Hope your boss gives you the time off - I've got a couple IEMs I'd like you to hear, and @Netforce is bringing his Shozy Zero.  Good times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back