Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #15,287 of 22,945

This came off the Supplied cable while I was trying to change to a shorter cable. My 846 is barely 10 days old. Has it happens to anyone else before. I have previously owned and used mmcx connector before so I'm fairly confident about my technique.

May 11, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #15,289 of 22,945
It was 
  I find the best sound quality in the yellow foams but they start hurting after 1 hour or so, so i switched to the silicone ones which are much more comfortable for long sessions. Supplied triple flangs are way too uncomfortable for me. There is a lot of talk about the westone star tips being more comfortable and of good sound quality, so i have ordered these.

It was hurting me also, but now they've lost that ability to spread, so its almost like having customs, they have shape of my ear canal. 
A bit harder to get proper seal now, but still works very nice once seal is achieved ...

I'm just worried for hygienic reasons ...

May 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #15,291 of 22,945
  Oh man just did an impulse buy because I couldn't refuse at this price. I had no issues with my original SE846 after owning it for 6 months except my cables are green from oxidation. Am I just crazy for owning 2 pairs of an IEM or headphone...

Personally, when I find something I really like no matter what hobby it is with, I think really hard about whether or not I should own two... I mean what if the first one breaks, it'd be nice to have a backup right? It's an internal struggle. :p

May 12, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #15,292 of 22,945
  It was 

It was hurting me also, but now they've lost that ability to spread, so its almost like having customs, they have shape of my ear canal. 
A bit harder to get proper seal now, but still works very nice once seal is achieved ...

I'm just worried for hygienic reasons ...

You will need to order a pack of yellow foams to last a year or so.They get dirty after a couple of months so it's not ideal for long term solution.

I heard somewhere in the thread that you can wash the foam in soap water and let it dry under sun and they will be as good as new, may be you could try that and if that too fails then you need new ones. But i feel personally feel that the silicone ones give the best sound quality.I am still to receive the star tips.

May 12, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #15,293 of 22,945

medical grade rubber all the way

May 12, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #15,295 of 22,945
Hi all,

I've had my 846's for a few months now.
Upgraded to a silver Litz cable which I loved, opened up the soundstage and clarity went up.
I however don't really get this subbass aspect. I've tried many tips, get a good seal, etc. Just not what I was expecting.
I'm using the white filters as I like that cleaner treble.

Also.
I keep hearing about the Chord Mojo. Thinking of picking one up. Will that improve the sound a lot? As much as the cable change did?

Regards,
Simon

May 12, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #15,296 of 22,945
May 12, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #15,297 of 22,945
Hi all,

Upgraded to a silver Litz cable which I loved, opened up the soundstage and clarity went up.
I however don't really get this subbass aspect. I've tried many tips, get a good seal, etc. Just not what I was expecting.

Also.
I keep hearing about the Chord Mojo. Thinking of picking one up. Will that improve the sound a lot? As much as the cable change did?

Regards,
Simon

Mojo sure, Hugo even better.

May 12, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #15,298 of 22,945
  Hi all,

Also.

Regards,
Simon

The whites lose quite a bit of bass and in addition to silver cable the lows won't be as prominent as with copper cable.Change to blue filters,remove the foam preferably,put the stock olives and play The Night Of Rain by Tim Marley.If that doesn't do it time to join the basshead thread for advice.

May 12, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #15,299 of 22,945
I must be an outlier because anything other than the black nozzle drives me nuts with high-frequency shrillness.   I've never had to tone high-frequencies down with any other iems or headphones.  I worry that my source has too high an output impedance and the shrillness is not the SE's fault, but distortion or over-emphasis because of near impedance matching at high frequencies.  

For reference, I have a Calyx M (with M-Jack) and an Onkyo DP-X1.  The former is <2 Ohms, the latter is 1 Ohm.  But at 5K, the SEs get down to 4-5 Ohms. 

Anybody have/had similar problems?  Anyone with a solution (other than buy new IEMs--my wife would kill me)?

May 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #15,300 of 22,945

Hi all,

Also.

Regards,
Simon

The whites lose quite a bit of bass and in addition to silver cable the lows won't be as prominent as with copper cable.Change to blue filters,remove the foam preferably,put the stock olives and play The Night Of Rain by Tim Marley.If that doesn't do it time to join the basshead thread for advice.

I have to put a stop to this silver cables don't produce ample bass versus copper cable. Now let's first control for cable quality in itself. I'll use dhc as one pinnacle source for quality cables. Second there may in fact be different tonal differences between the fusion copper silver 8 braid I own and the compliment four pure silver for my hd800S but there is no lack of bass in them. Matter of fact tonality speaking I may prefer the c4. Now lessor cables will do what they do and in fact one can have the observation that silver has less bass. But frankly quality cables with silver provide as much bass and provide the expansion and closeness to boot.
Sorry there just seems to be this prevalent thought on the 846 threads, it's untrue and misleading at least concerning dhc. There may be tonal differences and more masculine sound with copper but test it yourself if you can. Quality silver will not give less bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back