Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #15,271 of 22,945
Thanks for clearing that up.I mentioned the LCD X because a couple of owners said it reminded them the se846 in signature.Of course number of auditioned headfones plays a major role and your input is certailly valuable in determining which headfone the se846 signature comes close to.

No worries, my friend. I can certainly see (or hear) why owners may believe the SE846 sounds close to the LCD-X. I was one that said the LCD-X wasn't too far off from the SE846 with regards to sound signature. Since then, I've been able to listen to the entire Audeze lineup (sans Sine, yet) at the same time for extended periods of time (mainly to write impressions/mini reviews for my main QP1R review), and my impressions have currently morphed into believing the SE846 sounds tonally closest to the LCD-2 and LCD-3. The LCD-X would be the most liveliest of the three headphones to my ears, the LCD-2 sounds resolute and spacious, with the warmth and liquid nature of the LCD-3 would best make up the signature of the SE846, especially when adding on the Silver Litz cable. Using the stock cable I can see comparisons made with the LCD-X and the LCD-3.

May 9, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #15,272 of 22,945
Yeah, OK this is fun.  In my defense regarding the SE846 sounding like the LCD-X, I meant they sound more like the LCD-X than the HD800.  I don't own the LCD-2 or LCD-3 but respect the sound of the LCD-3 having heard them at a HP meet.  I also heard the LCD-2 there, and didn't care for the SQ at all.  Please remember that the SE846 can easily be modded with the included tips, and those changes can make a big difference in the sound.  With a little work, you can probably make the SE846 sound like the LCD-2, 3, or X.  The one constant is the SE846 bass that is superb.

May 9, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #15,273 of 22,945
I just sat down and read this thread and found the "Blue filter mod" - it made a big difference! Wonder why Shure don´t ship them with the blue filters but with no foam. Still kept the bass and the highs "opened" up and became clear but not harsh.

Using iPhone 5s with Centrance HiFi-M8.

THANKS all of you for your tips!

May 10, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #15,274 of 22,945

There is alot more other aspect than just the frequency response which can be changed with an EQ. The Shure SE846 has got great speed and clarity that you don't find on many full sized headphones. On those aspect, the Shure SE846 is closer to the HD 800 than most full sized headphones. 

I stand by my comparison that the LCD-X is much more similar to the SE846 than the HD800. Sure, you can pick a couple of traits, like speed, and say that the SE846 shares characteristics with the HD800, but that statement needs to be qualified. For someone that has never heard the SE846 and reads that they are like the HD800, without qualifying statements, would have read a misleading description.

May 10, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #15,275 of 22,945
I am very impressed by the SE846 after I demoed it from the shop. Very good clarity and separation of vocal and instrument. The entire SE215 535 846 lineup have a very tamed treble that is very easy to listen with no ever emphasis. The bass on the 846 is very tight and with lots of presence, there is no signs of bass covering up the mids. I am seriously considering in getting rid of my SE215 and upgrade. Any reason to stopping me from upgrading lol?

May 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #15,278 of 22,945
Oh man just did an impulse buy because I couldn't refuse at this price. I had no issues with my original SE846 after owning it for 6 months except my cables are green from oxidation. Am I just crazy for owning 2 pairs of an IEM or headphone...

May 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #15,281 of 22,945
I started listening tonight with my SE846 and the DragonFly Red v1.0 from the MacPro.  That rig didn't satisfy, so switched to the mobile rig:  AK120ii - Oppo HA-2.  Much better SQ.  Fuller sound - made the SE846 come alive - very happy with it.

BTW, all the discussion about the SE846 sounding like headphones, well IMO the SE846 can sound similar in frequency response to the LCD-X, but they will never really sound the same as a headphone. They after all are an IEM and do not realize the width/depth of soundstage that a good HP can deliver.  I've listened in the last days to both my LCD-X and SE846, and I'm convinced of this point.  The SE846 will always be my mobile IEM, best I've heard, but for my critical listening it's the LCD-X or HD800.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

May 10, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #15,282 of 22,945
  I started listening tonight with my SE846 and the DragonFly Red v1.0 from the MacPro.  That rig didn't satisfy, so switched to the mobile rig:  AK120ii - Oppo HA-2.  Much better SQ.  Fuller sound - made the SE846 come alive - very happy with it.

BTW, all the discussion about the SE846 sounding like headphones, well IMO the SE846 can sound similar in frequency response to the LCD-X, but they will never really sound the same as a headphone. They after all are an IEM and do not realize the width/depth of soundstage that a good HP can deliver.  I've listened in the last days to both my LCD-X and SE846, and I'm convinced of this point.  The SE846 will always be my mobile IEM, best I've heard, but for my critical listening it's the LCD-X or HD800.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

ditto hd800S and th900 tho, 846 is out and about through hugo or vamp verza or the iPhone 6 plus direct.

May 10, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #15,285 of 22,945
Hi , anyone did comparision between se846 vs senhizer HD800s? Can you pls let me know soundquality difference between these two?

Thx so much.

Re read the last few pages, we have been drilling down that it's tone may be like hd800S among others. But it's an iem and does not have the dynamic that these open back headphones provide. It's similar but not interchangeable in sound scape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back