Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,351 of 3,218
I don't know what just happened but I lol'd in my head

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,352 of 3,218
Quote:
I just love the stock stereo in my car. It is a pioneer. Lacking clarity when the windows are down. THAT is the only downfall. Cost me more than USD 1000 just to get to hear than stereo. What do you guys think? Should I rob a bank while listening to rock or jazz? Is this real life? Maybe because the world's supply of oil is diminishing? I woke up this morning to feed my pet cat and then I realized i didn't have any pets. I just walk out and start looking for something which I barely remember what I was looking at. I thought to myself maybe I should listen to it. All hope is lost when I open up my eyes and the alarm clock that I bought yesterday froze. The battery which was Duracell's was the battery that would keep going and going. Arriving at McDonald, I ordered a Chicken McDuluxe. It was delicious and the crunch I heard made me felt sleepy. I went straight to the toilet. I am using SE535 to isolated the nasty bladder noise coming from below. Isolation is great. Better than any CIEM. I really hope that I wasted your time reading this. Can't wait to use SE846 so that I can listen to the car stereo mentioned earlier no more. 

Yo dude, what you smoking?  Sounds like some good schitt.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,353 of 3,218
Quote:
I divorced my two wives because they were geeks — fully into gadgets and pretty nerdy stuff. I've always been more into fashion, good taste and all things Hello-magazine (yes, rather classy, if I may add), and that's why I adore my K3003s. I still am a pretty good-looking, though admittedly rather shallow, dude.

That is why my wife and I are a perfect couple...at the same time nerdy, enjoying tech and old school Kungfu movies, incredibly good looking and appreciating Martin Margiella and Comme des Garçons clothing, all this complemented by brilliant minds.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,354 of 3,218
That is why my wife and I are a perfect couple...at the same time nerdy, enjoying tech and old school Kungfu movies, incredibly good looking and appreciating Martin Margiella and Comme des Garçons clothing, all this complemented by brilliant minds.

Appreciating or wearing CdG?

Juuuuust wondering if I would be able to spot you at a distance.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,356 of 3,218
Read something interesting on Rin Choi's first review of a CIEM.

"Unless a CIEM manufacturer correctly address the issue, such as by measuring every user's ear canal resonance or via CT scanning, given their internal designs are equal, a CIEM can't possibly compete against an universal in terms of tonal linearity & high frequency extension.

Then what about all the reviews blatantly glorifying the custom in-ear technology? I'd say they are all good SF-horror reads, but I'd rather recommend "at the mountain of madness" by H. P. Lovecraft. You can't go wrong with Cthulhu Mythos!"

Another reason to believe the SE846 could definitely be special.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,357 of 3,218
It easier to spot the shiny faceplates of my Miracles :wink:

Haha. I'm a fan of some of the fragrances and my gf loooooves the wallet I got her for Christmas.

Read something interesting on Rin Choi's first review of a CIEM.

[COLOR=FF0000]"Unless a CIEM manufacturer correctly address the issue, such as by measuring every user's ear canal resonance or via CT scanning, given their internal designs are equal, a CIEM can't possibly compete against an universal in terms of tonal linearity & high frequency extension.

Then what about all the reviews blatantly glorifying the custom in-ear technology? I'd say they are all good SF-horror reads, but I'd rather recommend "at the mountain of madness" by H. P. Lovecraft. You can't go wrong with Cthulhu Mythos!"[/COLOR]

Another reason to believe the SE846 could definitely be special.

I thought that was an interesting comment too. You should post the question he was responding to for full context even though it isn't really needed.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #1,358 of 3,218
It's from this review: http://rinchoi.blogspot.ca/2013/06/hidition-new-tears-6-new-vs-old.html

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,359 of 3,218
I just meant edit it into your post above lol. Same result. Thanks.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #1,361 of 3,218
This thread is messing with peoples minds....it's oozing madness.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,362 of 3,218
It's apt to include the paragraph right before as well:

My argument still stands, as it is virtually impossible for a CEIM company to accurately calculate the optimum depth at which the user's reference plane is located- Damper location adjustment only complicates the matter by shifting the bore resonance, not to mention the second bend analogy is only an extremely vague approximation.

So his argument is that an universal IEM has a better reference plane... and assuming that universal has a better reference frame, they would be better tuned. I actually think this argument is completely wrong, because it's the opposite that's also true.

While it's true there's no way for us to know the exact ear canal resonance of every user, a CIEM reduces the variance of that "reference plane" far better than universal IEM. An universal IEM, by the virtue of sitting farther outside of your ear canal than a custom IEM, exacerbates the problem of not having the same acoustic resonance in each individual ear even more so. Then you have even more problem with the sound changing depending on the sleeve and fits of universal.

Again, there's no absolute rule that a CIEM is automatically better than universal by the virtue of it being custom. There are cheap and crappy CIEM as well as there are crappy universal IEM. However, if your value is consistency of performance, then a CIEM is always more consistent than universal, as it will eliminate factors that introduces variance into the process.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,363 of 3,218
Quote:
It's apt to include the paragraph right before as well:

My argument still stands, as it is virtually impossible for a CEIM company to accurately calculate the optimum depth at which the user's reference plane is located- Damper location adjustment only complicates the matter by shifting the bore resonance, not to mention the second bend analogy is only an extremely vague approximation.

So his argument is that an universal IEM has a better reference plane... and assuming that universal has a better reference frame, they would be better tuned. I actually think this argument is completely wrong, because it's the opposite that's also true.

While it's true there's no way for us to know the exact ear canal resonance of every user, a CIEM reduces the variance of that "reference plane" far better than universal IEM. An universal IEM, by the virtue of sitting farther outside of your ear canal than a custom IEM, exacerbates the problem of not having the same acoustic resonance in each individual ear even more so. Then you have even more problem with the sound changing depending on the sleeve and fits of universal.

Again, there's no absolute rule that a CIEM is automatically better than universal by the virtue of it being custom. There are cheap and crappy CIEM as well as there are crappy universal IEM. However, if your value is consistency of performance, then a CIEM is always more consistent than universal, as it will eliminate factors that introduces variance into the process.

Ah okay, thanks for the information.

Reference plane? What is this? Theory of relativity?
blink.gif

Hahaha.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,364 of 3,218
FWIW, of the four sets of my $850 (custom) Westone ES3X sets I had, three of them sounded different: one worse than my $375 (universal) UM3X, one pretty much the same, and the other two better, though not by much (the often ignored / overlooked law of diminishing returns).

There is still a lot of hype AND plenty of misinformation regarding the subject of custom IEMs. Customs are the best / ideal option for some, but certainly not for many. This hobby, like so many things in life, is still filled with so many wrong assumptions and misconceptions…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back