Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,307 of 3,218
You know, after re-reading my post and kerrys30's 
question... I realized I kind of answered kerry30's question in a round-about way and got onto a different topic than the original intent. A part of that is just some thoughts I had circulating in my head, and then I just went off on a slight tangent. I think I did address the second part of the question (getting a custom tip), almost unintentionally.. but for the first part of the question:

It all comes down to the driver size inside the CIEM. When the construction of the CIEM is simple, in most dual or triple driver models, the physical space required for the driver placement can be very consistent across all ears. So you can mold the CIEM around a specific length to the sound tube, and have near-exact placements inside the custom mold.

However, as you move up to the super high end, six-driver, eight-driver models, you might have issues with placements of the driver inside the custom mold as you're running out of room. If you look these high end CIEMs, the placement of the driver gets very creative, and the routing of the sound tube also gets more complex. In fact, if your ears are too small, they will simply tell you it's impossible to make a particular model for you.

So for these complex, high-end CIEMs, the placements of the drivers can be varied due to the shape of your ear. Which also means they have to recalibrate the output of the drivers to compensate for the variance. They measure the output level of each of the driver at the port opening after the CIEM is complete (or half-complete, as in.. shell's not closed yet so they can continue to make adjustments) to make sure everything is still within spec. If it isn't, they will have to tune and adjust each driver until they are.

Does that mean that the SQ and the signature of a 6 driver CIEM will be able to sound the same on a universal shell if they adjust the output and tuning? Because I ordered a universal fit of a 6 driver CIEM and was told by the manufacturer that the only difference will be since the CIEM outputs deep into your canal, the universal version difference will be depending on how deep they fit inside your canals. Hence usually there will be slightly less bass and more treble on the universal compared to the CIEM.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,308 of 3,218
We're now in late June... the original estimated date of arrival. So I guess they moved the date out to August or "late Summer"...  for a reason.

And while we're rambling... since there's no actual product out to talk about yet... I do wish they would've made it in black... so my wife wouldn't be noticing that my IEMs changed color from a black Westone 4 to a clear Shure SE846 overnight.
basshead.gif

Although it does look kinda cool being able to "see the technology" with the clear housing. But ultimately, I don't really care about being able to see it... I just wanna be able to hear it! I do care about the grief I'll get if/when my wife finds out I blew another $1K to stick in my ears for my sound waves to eardrum & brain connection! The look of SE846 reminds me a lot of one of the first 'good' IEMs I had... the Shure E5.

Flavio... if you see this... no new news about a for 'Shure' arrival date?

Can't wait, Shure! Hurry up & get it out here!
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #1,309 of 3,218
Quote:
We're now in late June... the original estimated date of arrival. So I guess they moved the date out to August or "late Summer"...  for a reason.

And while we're rambling... since there's no actual product out to talk about yet... I do wish they would've made it in black... so my wife wouldn't be noticing that my IEMs changed color from a black Westone 4 to a clear Shure SE846 overnight.
basshead.gif

Although it does look kinda cool being able to "see the technology" with the clear housing. But ultimately, I don't really care about being able to see it... I just wanna be able to hear it! I do care about the grief I'll get if/when my wife finds out I blew another $1K to stick in my ears for my sound waves to eardrum & brain connection! The look of SE846 reminds me a lot of one of the first 'good' IEMs I had... the Shure E5.

Flavio... if you see this... no new news about a for 'Shure' arrival date?

Can't wait, Shure! Hurry up & get it out here!
ksc75smile.gif

Ahhhhh, the good ol' wifey issues! I've got 'em too! Ha ha ha ha....

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,310 of 3,218
You guys are doing it wrong! I bought my girl a new laptop and a smartphone this year. She's listened to the Tralucent 1plus2, an SE5 that perfectly fit her ears (silicone is like that) and my mg6pro-maybe I'll type up her brief impressions of that shootout... anyway, I'll buy her a top-tier iem/ciem next year.

So, I think that's how you get someone to be completely fine with your audio purchases... at least two things for her for every one for me.

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,311 of 3,218
Quote:
You guys are doing it wrong! I bought my girl a new laptop and a smartphone this year. She's listened to the Tralucent 1plus2, an SE5 that perfectly fit her ears (silicone is like that) and my mg6pro-maybe I'll type up her brief impressions of that shootout... anyway, I'll buy her a top-tier iem/ciem next year.

So, I think that's how you get someone to be completely fine with your audio purchases... at least two things for her for every one for me.

I like Rudi's way better. 1 pair of shoes for her and 10 audio gears for him 
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,312 of 3,218
Quote:

2 for her 1 for you? That's not fair but I think that's how relationship works.. *Sigh* 
frown.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,313 of 3,218
It all balances out with all the hundred things she does for me.

Actually, I think I come out ahead and with all the little things and big things I do for her, she thinks she comes out ahead...and we both try to do more for the other person to make up for it!

That's how it works, at least for me.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,314 of 3,218
Quote:
It all balances out with all the hundred things she does for me.

Actually, I think I come out ahead and with all the little things and big things I do for her, she thinks she comes out ahead...and we both try to do more for the other person to make up for it!

That's how it works, at least for me.

Sounds expensive...

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,316 of 3,218
Quote:
Does that mean that the SQ and the signature of a 6 driver CIEM will be able to sound the same on a universal shell if they adjust the output and tuning? Because I ordered a universal fit of a 6 driver CIEM and was told by the manufacturer that the only difference will be since the CIEM outputs deep into your canal, the universal version difference will be depending on how deep they fit inside your canals. Hence usually there will be slightly less bass and more treble on the universal compared to the CIEM.

It's quite possible to get an universal version of a CIEM to sound pretty close, but they won't sound exactly the same. They can tune the driver to sound as close as possible to spec at the port, but there are a few basic problems.

First is the design of most CIEMs are also calibrated around having multiple sound tube for the different drivers, and most of them have at least two to three tubes that opens straight into your ear. These type of design ensures separation of the bass/mid/treble drivers as much as possible until the sound reaches your ear. When you design a universal IEM, there is usually one sound tube, or you have to do some very clever design to create multiple and discreet sound tubes inside a very small circumference (for a good example, look at the design of the UE 900). It doesn't make it impossible to make an universal version of the CIEM, but it's just more complicated than most people would give the credit for. 

Second, even if they were able to redesign the sound port/tube routing, and also tune the drivers accordingly, you still only have control over 90% of the sound delivery. If you use a comply tip, silicone tip, or one of the new Westone's star or tru-fit tip, they will all sound slightly different. So you can get pretty close, but it's never 100%. In a way, it's really a matter of psychology. Some people are completely okay with tweaking their sound, try a different tip, get a different sound, switch different tips when they listen to different genre, etc. Other people (like me) just wants one sound signature that will always perform and behave consistently.

In my personal experience, I had the chance to listen to the demo versions of the UE product line. My UE-18 Pro certainly doesn't sound 100% the same as the demo unit. I tried the demo unit with a comply tip, and the sound was a little warmer, a little more bassy, also a little less detail and clarity, a little less sparkle in the trebles. Given that, the custom version is 99% of what I expected after hearing the demo unit.

So even though they were different, they were not night and day differences, and certainly not different enough for me to have changed my purchase decision either way. Furthermore, if they actually did sell an universal version of the UE-18 Pro just like the demo unit, it would still easily be one of the best IEM on the market.

My personal opinion is that the need for CIEM now is really centered around performance consistency and comfort. My custom IEMs are the most comfortable headphone I have, in-ear, full-size, and otherwise. There are no other headphone I can wear for as long as my CIEMs. Fussing around with universal IEM's tips, fit, and sound signature was also something that's always driven me nuts. So for those of us who are truly OCD with our headphones, CIEM is probably still going to be the "best IEM" for reasons beyond just the sound.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,317 of 3,218
Quote:
Ha ha, yes, well it's a lifetime mutual investment and if you pick the right person, then things only get better over time.

Do not try to explain marriage to teenagers who switch girlfriends as often as they do IEM's (I call it girlfriend rolling) 
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,318 of 3,218
Quote:
Do not try to explain marriage to teenagers who switch girlfriends as often as they do IEM's (I call it girlfriend rolling) 
biggrin.gif

As a young adult I have a question. If your wives constantly complain regarding your purchases of audio products, how do your wives justify their spending on bags and shoes that seem to have exorbitant price tags that only seem to rise up and up exponentially depending on the brand logo?

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,319 of 3,218
Quote:
As a young adult I have a question. If your wives constantly complain regarding your purchases of audio products, how do your wives justify their spending on bags and shoes that seem to have exorbitant price tags that only seem to rise up and up exponentially depending on the brand logo?

They give us whoopee  
L3000.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back