Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #541 of 3,218
Quote:
That just gotta be the most clearheaded and intelligent post in this thread so far! I'll try to get you nominated for the Nobel prize in economics!

Or he could be a literary genius, and incredibly adept at condensing the general sentiment of those who are opposed to Shure's decisions. Consider it a "Eureka!" Mark II

tongue.gif

May 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #543 of 3,218
Quote:
Why would anyone buy these when actual custom Iems from JHAudio have twice the amount of drivers per monitor for only $150.00 more? $1000.00 for universals? And Shure isn't even that good.

Gosh, I always thought the number of drivers had little to do with the final performance of an IEM. I also thought Shure was rather highly regarded among audiophiles. Well, thanks to you I now know better! Thanks for putting all of this straight!

May 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #544 of 3,218

Actually, mark2410 raises a good point. What IS with that name?

I could understand it if they named it the Shure SE888, just because the Asian market has become so important for them. (I mean, it was launched in Japan!) But 846? It's not a 'technical' sounding odd number like 535, or a cool power of two like SM64, or even a particularly lucky combination of Chinese lucky numbers with the 4 in it.

Maybe 846 was the initial targeted MSRP? Hehe.

At least the middle number is known to be the number of the drivers on each earpiece.

May 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #545 of 3,218
It's all a conspiracy!  Don't buy Shures!  I've always suspected this, but now I am sure about it:  They are Illuminati!  They worship the devil too!

Take 2 away from the 8, and add it to the next digit, 4.  What do you get?  666!  Oh my god run!!!!

May 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #546 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:
Okay then so what's so great about this IEM that it costs $500.00 more than their former flagship model? They added one driver per ear and what else? The ability to customize your sound? Can't you do that with an amplifier for less money? I'm just saying 4 drivers for $1000.00 with Shure or 8 Drivers for $1149.00 from JH audio with "Double Dual Lows, Single Dual Mid, Single Dual High"? That's 4 drivers dedicated to bass reproduction per ear, 2 drivers for mids per ear and 2 drivers for highs per ear. No matter what you think this definitely has an effect on sound reproduction and it should therefore have an effect on price as well. If Shure made a similar product I suppose their price would be much higher than the $1000.00 that they're asking customers to pay for this 4 driver model. It's your money though, spend it how you like.

The Sleek Audio CT20 remains my all-time favourite IEM — it's got 20 ultra-wide band balanced armature drivers in each ear.

Yes, next to the "Sleek" the JH16 is really nothing, in any respect...

May 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #547 of 3,218
You know, the only thing that makes me think about getting these is how little I've listened to my HD600 or HD650 this week and that if I sold my SE535, HD600 and HD650...I'd get really close to a SE846! 

May 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #548 of 3,218
In the UK the HD600/650 retail pricing have appreciated so it makes no sense to sell them - aside from being top headphones too. Am chuffed got them for £200 (before applying £100 Amazon voucher prize). We live in different times now so not at all sure the SE846 would see much discounting this time next year.

May 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #549 of 3,218
Why would anyone buy these when actual custom Iems from JHAudio have twice the amount of drivers per monitor for only $150.00 more? $1000.00 for universals? And Shure isn't even that good.

Because more drivers automatically means it's better; just like how a larger diaphragm headphone is always better.

May 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #550 of 3,218
Listened to these this past week for about 25min. These are mind blowing! Better sound than the K3003 unamped. My only gripe is the size of them. They have a lot of girth and to protrude from the ear. They do not lay down flat and flush as the se535. They aren't uncomfortable but you are aware of their size. I listened to the Bright filter and was amazed at how deep and accurate the bass was. Being a Shure headphone the were far from the brightest headphone I have ever heard but boy was that mid-range lush. There was no need for amplification which is always a plus. I listened to my own music playing FLAC files and using Winamp Pro. I did get to speak with one of the engineers on how the headphone came about and he said it's been in development for about a year. Before that there were plans but nothing really came together the way they wanted. Shure did not just want to add another driver to the se535 and call it a day. They really wanted a game changer and I feel the se846 more than lives up to that. All these posts about price need to get over it. Shure is the latest and surly not the last to enter the $1k IEM segment. There is already the K3003i which retail for about $300 more than the Shure. There is also the IE800 which is the same price, plus others I can't remember at the moment. This segment is here to stay and I would much rather spend $1k on IEMs which I can resell later vs. a Custom which has to be fitted and you might not be able to sell it later. In the end... Bravo Shure this IEM was well worth the wait.

May 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #551 of 3,218
People are entitled to express sticker shock, dismay, and disapproval over the price-doubling of a flagship IEM. It's only been a couple of days since this info broke and some are already saying “get over it”. It's too soon.

I don't think people should just look back in the thread to see if someone has already said the same thing they are saying either. That's not how early consensus works. The point of a forum is for many people to express their opinion as they hear about the news.

“Shure”, some people get out way ahead of the facts about the worthiness of this IEM soundwise, but that's another issue. And there are just plain haters who (for some odd reason) root for other IEMs on a thread about a Shure IEM. Perhaps those people own stock in a rival company.

May 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #552 of 3,218
Quote:
I think there's a bone in the inner ear that transmits sub bass, to other bones and brain goes a bit weird.

Was that an attempt to answer my question to shigzeo?

It would be very interesting to hear shigzeo elaborate (if at all possible) on what he means by "gets you in your guts". Can IEMs create the feeling of visceral impact at all? Maybe the Shure SE846 is the first IEM with that particular ability? Personally I don't think I've ever been close to that. I've somehow felt my eyes vibrate from IEMs (SM3), but in the guts...?

I always recommend IEM beginners to be very careful with too loud volume in an attempt to compensate for the visceral feeling which is completely missing with IEMs (or isn't it?) I also think that's the reason why headphone ads usually always consist of the single USP "having deep great bass", because average joe is used to the visceral impact from speakers and average joe wants his visceral impact.

Or, is it just one of those audiophile terms being tossed around? I'd be very careful using the term "visceral" unless I was positively sure the person I'm talking to have quite a bit of IEM experience. As a matter of fact, I've never used the term in the context of IEMs. So, is something wrong with my perception of sound, is the Shure SE846 a revolution in this field, or what's going on?

May 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #553 of 3,218
Quote:
Listened to these this past week for about 25min. These are mind blowing! Better sound than the K3003 unamped. My only gripe is the size of them. They have a lot of girth and to protrude from the ear. They do not lay down flat and flush as the se535. They aren't uncomfortable but you are aware of their size. I listened to the Bright filter and was amazed at how deep and accurate the bass was. Being a Shure headphone the were far from the brightest headphone I have ever heard but boy was that mid-range lush. There was no need for amplification which is always a plus. I listened to my own music playing FLAC files and using Winamp Pro. I did get to speak with one of the engineers on how the headphone came about and he said it's been in development for about a year. Before that there were plans but nothing really came together the way they wanted. Shure did not just want to add another driver to the se535 and call it a day. They really wanted a game changer and I feel the se846 more than lives up to that. All these posts about price need to get over it. Shure is the latest and surly not the last to enter the $1k IEM segment. There is already the K3003i which retail for about $300 more than the Shure. There is also the IE800 which is the same price, plus others I can't remember at the moment. This segment is here to stay and I would much rather spend $1k on IEMs which I can resell later vs. a Custom which has to be fitted and you might not be able to sell it later. In the end... Bravo Shure this IEM was well worth the wait.

Thank you!  Finally a post from someone who has heard them.  All this discussion of price is superfluous as supply and demand will take care of that.  Oh, I have NOT heard them, so please disregard this post!

May 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #554 of 3,218
Quote:

Shure's are great and fantastic to some people. If you don't think they are good then that IS YOUR OWN OPINON.

Enough about the price. As Mim has said the high price has been talked about till we are ready to puke. WE all get it. Some think, shoot let's even say the majority at this point say it's too expensive.

I think the impressions from here on should be by folks who have actually have something new to contribute, have seen them, or listened to them. So if you want to gripe or just like to see your thoughts in print about these, why not write Shure directly. Hey there's an idea it might even lead to a meaningful change.

To clearly state the negatives:

"These are too expensive"     SOME SAY TRIPLE WHAT THEY SHOULD BE
"For 1k I can get customs"     OR  A LOT LESS
"I do not like Shure"            NATURALLY, SUCESSFUL COMPANIES GOTTA SUCK, 
                                                 JUST LIKE APPLE

"The 535 were already overpriced"    LOL
"The 535 killed Kennedy"                 I KNEW IT WAS PLANNED
"Iem manufacturers are mean, they gorge on the blood of audiophiles"  OH YES WE ARE SUCH A BIG MARKET!
"Do these things go in my ears or elsewhere?"  
bigsmile_face.gif

May 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #555 of 3,218
These do look cool - but at that price I'm certainly not going to be running out to get these, especially having just had my Asian Red Ltd Edition 535's for two months. Along with the JDS C5 portable Amplifier and ALO Cryo SXC 18 line out dock I bought at the same time. Perhaps these could be on the horizon in a year or two depending on the reviews and how much the price comes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back