Shure SE535 vs UE11/18 Pro vs JH13/16
Jan 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jjb3

100+ Head-Fier
Please comment. I own the 535s and want to start to consider my first pair of customs. I am eyeballing the UEs vs JHs. Love the 535 sound, love detailed and present bass. Love detailed highs but not at the expense of lows.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 11
Moved from the Shure SCL4 to Sennheiser IE8, to the EarSonics SM3. JH16 trumps them all easily in my opinion. I would recommend them as an upgrade from the Shure SE535's. However, keep in mind the sound signature of the JH16's is not as mid-centric as Shure's sound signature, so you might need to get used to the a sound signature. The JH16 has plenty of detail and powerful lows for your taste. Highs are razor sharp in my opinion, but many people say the JH16 sounds sibilant or borderline sibilant, so take that into consideration as well. I don't find the JH16 sibilantonly in some songs do I hear sibilance, and this too is rare.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 11
I am at exactly the same as you, having shure se 535. I'm very sensible to sibilance and having read more and more people complaining about jh 16 sibilance, I'm not so sure to give 1k to have sibilance.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Moved from the Shure SCL4 to Sennheiser IE8, to the EarSonics SM3. JH16 trumps them all easily in my opinion. I would recommend them as an upgrade from the Shure SE535's. However, keep in mind the sound signature of the JH16's is not as mid-centric as Shure's sound signature, so you might need to get used to the a sound signature. The JH16 has plenty of detail and powerful lows for your taste. Highs are razor sharp in my opinion, but many people say the JH16 sounds sibilant or borderline sibilant, so take that into consideration as well. I don't find the JH16 sibilantonly in some songs do I hear sibilance, and this too is rare.

I also have the SE535 and JH13pro and I can't second that comment enough.  The Shure has a very forward midrange, though very well done.  It is also brighter tonally than my JH13pro; however, over all my JH13pro is significantly better.  

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 11
have you tried any different cables? there are a few cables out there that improve on the bass signature of the se535. however being balanced armature you arent going to get that dynamic type bass with the se535, they are a more natural bass signature ''meant to be heard'' bass instead of over emphasized synthetic/ saturated bass.

the baldur mk2 gives the se535 a more dynamic sound, the bass does sound somewhat dynamic while still being a armature sounding bass. more of a ''dynamic feel''

just saying maybe trying out a few different cables if you already havent to see if you enjoy the sound differences, becuase for my from my expierence with the se535 just a cable upgrade completely changes the sound signature for the better. stock cable is pretty restricting imo when you compare it to say the baldur mk2

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
have you tried any different cables? there are a few cables out there that improve on the bass signature of the se535. however being balanced armature you arent going to get that dynamic type bass with the se535, they are a more natural bass signature ''meant to be heard'' bass instead of over emphasized synthetic/ saturated bass.

the baldur mk2 gives the se535 a more dynamic sound, the bass does sound somewhat dynamic while still being a armature sounding bass. more of a ''dynamic feel''

just saying maybe trying out a few different cables if you already havent to see if you enjoy the sound differences, becuase for my from my expierence with the se535 just a cable upgrade completely changes the sound signature for the better. stock cable is pretty restricting imo when you compare it to say the baldur mk2

Thanks for the info, but I doubt that I'll spend any more money on them.  I'm a believer in cable especially for headphones cable; however, I think that money is probably better spend on perfecting the JH13pro.  Still we are talking about a portable listening so I try to limit my budget on it.  BTW, is baldur mk2 expensive?  

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 11
the baldur mk2 isnt that bad, its $142.00. its a really good cable for the se535 one of the best.

but like you said, if you have aspirations of going custom theres no stopping lol.

jh13 or 16 would be really nice. i havent tried them personally, so i couldnt say the difference between the 535 and those.

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 11
The customs listed will sound much better than the SE535, provided that you like their sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back