Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,881 of 4,022
  Would these be a great alternate to my current Westone 4R?

I am looking for a fun IEM to compliment the more neutral 4R and have had my eyes on these... especially after just ordering the SRH1540 and Jude mentioning that it's signature is similar to the SE535.

i own both se535 and the w4r and IMO the se535 is the W4r's Day to the W4r's Night. i feel they do compliment eachother 

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,882 of 4,022
Yes, the SE535 Special Edition (make sure you get the extended treble version) is a great compliment to the 4r. I have owned both and the 4r is a neutral more reference sound while the 535 is more musical signature.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,883 of 4,022
Thanks guys!

Right now, my home compliments are the SRH1540 and AKG K712... and the WR matches the K712 quite well. Now, all I need is a portable match for the SRH1540 and it seems I have found it in the SE535.

Can anyone tell me where I might can get these at a great price? $499 is too steep after just buying the 1540...

Also, is the LE that much different from the original version? How much of a treble extension does it have? I don't want anything that's too bright or U-Shaped.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,885 of 4,022
  Wait until cyber monday/black friday and then snag a pair. Probably your best bet for a legit one at a decent price unless you buy used.

Do you know something the rest of us don't know?  I have not heard about a sale or blowout on these.  I roll my eyes every time I see people talk about $100 TF10's on black friday.  I guess we can all hope but I believe that was once in a lifetime thing about 5 years ago.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,886 of 4,022
  Do you know something the rest of us don't know?  I have not heard about a sale or blowout on these.  I roll my eyes every time I see people talk about $100 TF10's on black friday.  I guess we can all hope but I believe that was once in a lifetime thing about 5 years ago.

I don't think I indicated at anything special. EarphoneSolutions, SoundEarphones and other companies will have special codes or discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday I would imagine. Could be anywhere from 15-30%. I'm not suggesting they'll be $200 but he might be able to save $100-200 off the current pricing from legit dealers.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,887 of 4,022

haha i remember that. great deal

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,890 of 4,022
Not sure if true but advancedmp3players have these as discontinued now.  I wonder if Shure will have a replacement for these and I don't mean the 846!  With both these and the westone 4rs being discontinued it feels like an end of an era.  Funny thing is I never ended up buying either despite mulling it over (bored at work :p ) a few times.

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,891 of 4,022
  Not sure if true but advancedmp3players have these as discontinued now.  I wonder if Shure will have a replacement for these and I don't mean the 846!  With both these and the westone 4rs being discontinued it feels like an end of an era.  Funny thing is I never ended up buying either despite mulling it over (bored at work :p ) a few times.

Very true, both of these headphones are phenomenal for their price.

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,892 of 4,022

I'm sure they aren't abandoning their top tier IEM market. I don't see the 1000+ IEMS as top tier, more like ultra top tier or ultra premium products. The W4R isn't really discontinued, just repackaged as the W40. The SE846 is much much better than the SE535 LTD in my opinion though.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,893 of 4,022

I'm sure they aren't abandoning their top tier IEM market. I don't see the 1000+ IEMS as top tier, more like ultra top tier or ultra premium products. The W4R isn't really discontinued, just repackaged as the W40. The SE846 is much much better than the SE535 LTD in my opinion though.

I'm starting to find that some of the 600+ earphones really aren't "better" overall.  Some have more controlled bass or more extended response, but they all seem to have varying frequency responses, which is the most noticeable "difference" between one iem and another.  I would just call them the "really freaking expensive" tier. haha  I'd love to try the newest shure though.   hmmmmm

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,894 of 4,022

I'm starting to find that some of the 600+ earphones really aren't "better" overall.  Some have more controlled bass or more extended response, but they all seem to have varying frequency responses, which is the most noticeable "difference" between one iem and another.  I would just call them the "really freaking expensive" tier. haha  I'd love to try the newest shure though.   hmmmmm

As always it depends on how someone defines better. If you love a perfectly flat response then no, none of them are better I guess. I do feel that the SE846 is really impressive and tackled some of the problems with the SE535 and other BA's in general. The bass on the SE846 is really incredible, especially sub bass. It doesn't sound like a BA to me at all except that the bass is fast when it needs to be. High end would probably disappoint people who love extended treble. I don't know how much the filters help because I like smoother treble in general (so not as extended or prominent)

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,895 of 4,022
when you get to a certain point, certain price point IMO nothing becomes better or worse, but different really they all play on the same field but have ''differences''. so its really hard to say one is better than another they have different aspects they bring to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back