Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2,806 of 4,022
The SE846 is definitely bigger, heavier, and somehow feels more substantial that the SE535. The earpiece body feels a little smoother to the touch as well. The earpieces of the SE846 are a little clearer too (like the glass on the headlamps of a newer model car).

Despite the size, the 846 fits in my ears a little better than the 535. I think that is because the memory part of the cable near the connector(on the 846)  tends to stay in place just slightly better (yielding less sideways pressure to either pop the earpiece out or rub against the ear).

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,808 of 4,022
How does the Shure SE535 sound in comparison to their flagship headphone, the Shure SRH1840. These Shure SE535 are putting my current headphones to shame ( i intended to use these IEM for mobile use, but now I use it at home also, so i need to upgrade my headphones :D )

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,809 of 4,022
How does the Shure SE535 sound in comparison to their flagship headphone, the Shure SRH1840. These Shure SE535 are putting my current headphones to shame ( i intended to use these IEM for mobile use, but now I use it at home also, so i need to upgrade my headphones :D )
1840 is more flatter. It has better clarity, detail, and soundstage than se535.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,810 of 4,022
1840 is more flatter. It has better clarity, detail, and soundstage than se535.

Thanks for the response. Is the bass much weaker than the Shure SE535? I noticed on some frequency response that the bass is recessed of the Shure SRH1840. 

I like the bass of the Shure SE535, so I'ld like to have similar bass in a headphone. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2,811 of 4,022
To my ears the bass on the SRH1840 is better.  Extends well - very linear - and once you get used to it, there is more than enough.

kimvictor is right in his comments too - the strengths of the 1840 are clarity,detail, and soundstage - but rather than size of soundstage (it's not huge), it the exceptional imaging.  I love it.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #2,812 of 4,022
I know this is completely different for everyone (due to ear size being different), but what tips did you guys have the most success with? The stock tips (that were on it out of the box), made them sound shrill and anemic. I THINK it sounds much better now that I'm using the olive shaped ones (the ones that are silicone and not foam). However, the largest sized ones didn't fit right in my ears. It was strange. I ended up going to middle ones, and it tamed out the issues I was having.

Going to keep messing around though. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,813 of 4,022
I feel that silicon tips make the sound a bit fatiguing, for sound quality I prefered the black foams, speaking about the default tip combo that come with the shures...

With that said, I settled with the westone silicon startips, I guess due to the large hole outside the tip, the sound comes more like the large shure foams. The medium westone tips are a little less big than the medium from shure though, im using the larger one that came on the westone package(orange tip).

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2,814 of 4,022
If you guys like messing around with SE535's sound, why not change your dampers? It makes more sound difference than any cables or eartips can make. Few modders can back this claim too. Search SE535 mod. I have a thread dedicated for SE535 dampers.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2,815 of 4,022
If you guys like messing around with SE535's sound, why not change your dampers? It makes more sound difference than any cables or eartips can make. Few modders can back this claim too. Search SE535 mod. I have a thread dedicated for SE535 dampers.

I guess that is better to get confortable with the default state of the phone before make more changes. First you find the best tip of your liking, then if you still want more increments you can go on... 

I think that I will try dampers in the future, but there is always the problem that there is no going back to the original damper that will probably break if I try to get it out.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #2,817 of 4,022
Interesting. Thanks for the reply guys. For some reason I prefer the yellow foam tips the most (for comfort) - but not sure I like the sound. I actually own the Westone 4R's and tried the star tips on there too. Guess I'll just keep messing around with them. For some reason the black foam tips get really itchy in my ears once they expand, and start to push out. One thing I dislike about the SE-535 is the cord. It doesn't really hold its shape around the ears (its really loose for some reason), and this pushes the IEMs out of my ears. 

That is probably the most obnoxious thing about the 535, and it makes me wonder what they were thinking with this design. I'm still having a hard time deciding what sound I prefer more (the SE535 or the 4R). It's hard for me to go back and forth, because the sound signatures are so drastically different IMO, my ears are having a hard time adjusting.

Going from the 4R to the SE535, I thought the SE535 felt very thin and crass. However after listening for a day, I went back to the 4R, and they sounded really bloated and thick. When I went back to the 535, it sounded like a veil was lifted. When listening to metal tracks, the guitar had more bite and chug - and just overall, there was more energy (which is weird, because I generally like dark sound signatures over more accurate/speed signatures). 

But I know that I love the 4R's sound. And it's not really thick or muffled. My ears just can't adjust back and forth so quickly. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm really coming around the 535's sound. If only the cord was a little better in design. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,818 of 4,022
  nope, i got se215, and se535, the body of 215 is 10mm high and 535 11mm behind the nozzle. And the nozzle angle is different after switching from se215 to se535, se535 didn't feel that good in the ear the nizzle goes little more up. but i ques if the tip is molded for 535 it will fit se215 in it since the body is smaller. And the new se846 has a bigger body than 535, based on comparison pics, it also has that little bulge in the the start of the nozzle, the screw for changing dampers.

But all of these do share the same nozzle diameter. :)

Shure has confirmed to us that the SE846 is significantly different in size, so custom sleeves made for other current SE models will not fit it.
Sensaphonics sleeves are interchangeable among the rest of the current SE line.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,819 of 4,022
I got the Fiio cable for the SE-535. I plan on getting a better cable next pay check, but it was only $29. I can't speak for the sound, it sounds exactly the same as the stock cable (in my mind, it sounds a little tighter). But that could be the placebo effect. Anyways, the big difference is that they are light. They perfectly go around my ears, and there is no tug on the IEM like the stock cables would do. As cliche as it is to say this, I now forget I'm even wearing them. BIG improvement for me, just for the fact that the IEM's now sit flush.

The only gripe I have with the cables is that I kind of feel they are TOO flimsy. But I guess that's why they are so light, and I much prefer them to the heavier thick cables like the stock SE-535 (which adds too much weight). I read a bunch of reviews that said when the cable is scraped against things, you can hear it. But I 100% can't hear anything, so I'm good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back