Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2,671 of 4,022
Was anyone else disappointed with the C5 and the SE535? The C5 didn't really seem to do much for the sound, maybe because it's already got a warm opamp? But the biggest problem was the digital volume. I had a hard time getting the sound I wanted. I wish it had the same volume knob as the C421. 

Is there any portable amp you all just love with the SE535, anything you notice a definite improvement with?

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,672 of 4,022
Quote:
Was anyone else disappointed with the C5 and the SE535? The C5 didn't really seem to do much for the sound, maybe because it's already got a warm opamp? But the biggest problem was the digital volume. I had a hard time getting the sound I wanted. I wish it had the same volume knob as the C421. 

Is there any portable amp you all just love with the SE535, anything you notice a definite improvement with?

well the c5 does have a slight bump in the mids, and as the se535 being a mid forward iem, i assumed just this, that you really wont hear the benifits of the mids on a mid centric iem.

however with my w4r the slight bump in mids was a nice touch.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #2,673 of 4,022
Quote:
well the c5 does have a slight bump in the mids, and as the se535 being a mid forward iem, i assumed just this, that you really wont hear the benifits of the mids on a mid centric iem.

Did you have any problem getting the volume just right? I kept feeling like there wasn't enough distance between steps to get just what I wanted...

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,674 of 4,022
Quote:

Not it doesn't...

http://blog.jdslabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Frequency-Response.png

No bumps at all.  It's one of the flattest, most reference portable amps I've ever heard.

The 535 on the other hand has a lot of mid presence and not a lot of high treble.  Most of the benefit you will get from amping an earphone that is already good quality comes from removing any problems with your source.  If you have something like an iPod you won't hear a large difference unless the earphones are already hard to drive and require power.  The 535 isn't hard to drive.  That is also why you might notice the steps aren't small enough for your liking.  Try to gently and quickly press the button and the steps should be the smallest.  Also, press the volume button in (at a low volume) and make sure the gain mode is in LOW.  That might give you a bit more precision?

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,675 of 4,022
Quote:

Nothing against the se535, but with a flat reference grade amp like the C5 you'll hear a bigger difference changing IEMs.  Are you looking for more clarity?  You might like the w4r, more bass try the xba3, etc....  Just a thought.  If you really like the 535 in general but want a little more clarity you could try another amp or use eq...

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,676 of 4,022
Quote:

Not it doesn't...

http://blog.jdslabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Frequency-Response.png

No bumps at all.  It's one of the flattest, most reference portable amps I've ever heard.

The 535 on the other hand has a lot of mid presence and not a lot of high treble.  Most of the benefit you will get from amping an earphone that is already good quality comes from removing any problems with your source.  If you have something like an iPod you won't hear a large difference unless the earphones are already hard to drive and require power.  The 535 isn't hard to drive.  That is also why you might notice the steps aren't small enough for your liking.  Try to gently and quickly press the button and the steps should be the smallest.  Also, press the volume button in (at a low volume) and make sure the gain mode is in LOW.  That might give you a bit more precision?

ok well with my expierence with the westone w4r and the c5 and c421, i could definitly tell a difference between the 2 that the mid presentation was slighlty more pronounced with the w4r and the c5 rather than with the c421

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2,677 of 4,022
Quote:
ok well with my expierence with the westone w4r and the c5 and c421, i could definitly tell a difference between the 2 that the mid presentation was slighlty more pronounced with the w4r and the c5 rather than with the c421

I'm not saying you don't hear a difference.  That's not it at all.  I'm just saying it isn't because the c5 has a bump in the mids. :p

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #2,678 of 4,022
Quote:

I'm not saying you don't hear a difference.  That's not it at all.  I'm just saying it isn't because the c5 has a bump in the mids. :p

well either way c5 is a really excellent amp for the price.

i figured that the c5 would seem like it didnt have much to offer based on the sound signature of the se535.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,679 of 4,022
Out of the ones I tried, I found the iQube (V1 or V2) to be best with the SE535.  Improved treble and clarity quite a lot.  The good mids were still there so this made it pretty addictive.

However an iQube costs quite a lot.  Like I posted here before, in the end I felt it's not worth keeping the SE535 and went to JH13.

If you're not satisfied with a certain portable setup, you're better off spending more on other IEMs than investing too much in amps.

Quote:

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #2,680 of 4,022
Quote:
Out of the ones I tried, I found the iQube (V1 or V2) to be best with the SE535.  Improved treble and clarity quite a lot.  The good mids were still there so this made it pretty addictive.

However an iQube costs quite a lot.  Like I posted here before, in the end I felt it's not worth keeping the SE535 and went to JH13.

If you're not satisfied with a certain portable setup, you're better off spending more on other IEMs than investing too much in amps.

I felt the same. I sold my SE535 almost immediately after I heard the UERM.

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,685 of 4,022
Hi all,

New to Headfi posting. Recently acquired 535s & using with custom built Cmoy which makes s*d all difference with the rest of my iem collection but is great with the 535s. Any suggestions for modestly priced (£100 GBP) cable upgrades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back