Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,416 of 4,022
the construction on these is quite mind boggling! .. Bullet-like is the word. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,417 of 4,022
Quote:
  When pulled apart it seems like there is a lot of dark oil in there - I'm wondering if it's a loose connection that is corroding?

Be careful... I saw the X-Files and Prometheus - nothing good can come of dark oil. How's your abdomen? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,418 of 4,022
Quote:

Be careful... I saw the X-Files and Prometheus - nothing good can come of dark oil. How's your abdomen? 
biggrin.gif

hahahahaha!!!!

noice!

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,419 of 4,022
I was wondering if someone could answer something for me.  I just got the 535 clear and they sound COMPLETELY different on my ipod touch vs my apogee duet.  It isn't a quality difference though, it is simply a frequency curve difference.  I don't use any eq or processing and both systems have been tested with the same lossless files.  This has happened with about 50% of the earphones I've tried.

The difference is that the duet and the 535 create a strong mid boost.  The ipod has less mid and in turn at least sounds like it has better treble and bass.  The difference is very noticeable.  I'd say many decibels difference.  Some headphones seem to have less difference or none at all.  Every time I hear this I check the impedance graph over at en.goldenears.net and the difference I hear exactly correlates to the frequency boost or cut in the impedance graph they have.  Exactly.  I assumed that meant that the 32ohm impedance of my duet output vs. the 5 or so ohms output of the ipod was causing the difference.  I was told that I didn't understand how the impedance was working...

Can someone tell me what could be causing this difference?  Is it in fact the impedance?  I've been looking for a way to add resistors to an adapter or cable to change the impedance of one of the devices to test, but haven't found anything specifically showing how.  I really can't keep a headphone that isn't good on both devices.  I mix music on the duet, so that is critical, and when listening on the ipod I am at my most discerning examining state so that is also critical.  "Most" changes in the headphone seem to be worse on the higher impedance output, which seems to go with what most articles say on striving for the lowest output impedance in general.  But there have been a case or two where it was the other way around.  Anyhow, I'm curious if these would sound better on the duet with some mod or adapter...?

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2,420 of 4,022
I think I found my answer:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2011/11/14/output-impedance-show-and-tell

And from the graph at goldenears I think I'm hearing what the graph shows where the mids are boosted a lot and there is a lack of treble in the main treble area.  But I'm not sure if the graph is saying that it changes based on impedance or not.  I can see why so many people have differing opinions of these.  If that is the case, even a 5ohm change would probably be slightly noticeable and a lot of headphone amps are 1 or less, ipod 5-10 depending on model, computers and sound interfaces could be anything such as my 32ohm.  :-/

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,421 of 4,022
Hey guys i recently got a pair of SE535. I was wondering if all of the other SE535 owners can help me out.

When im listening to music with these and not moving my head, everything sounds fine. But when i start to move my head around. (like in a fast, headbanging motion, up and down or left and right)  the sound level goes down a quite alot. once i stop moving my head, the sound goes back to its original sound level after a few seconds. My old SE530's do not have this problem.This means i can only enjoy music while keeping head still, but i like to headbang abit, as i listen to metal. 

So could the SE535 owners test this out with a song with lots going on like a metal song, so u can notice it better if it does happen. Im trying to find out if my pair of faulty or is this is apparent on all SE535. 

Thank you very much

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,422 of 4,022
Are you sure it's not the fit dislodging?  Static or sound cutting out altogether sounds possible but a lessening of volume sounds like something else going on like the fit loosening up.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #2,423 of 4,022
Hey spyro, no its not the fit. When I move my head the earphones stay very secure and sealed tightly. And also like I mentioned when I stop moving the sound goes back up! Have u been able to try it?

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #2,425 of 4,022
Quote:
Hey guys i recently got a pair of SE535. I was wondering if all of the other SE535 owners can help me out.

When im listening to music with these and not moving my head, everything sounds fine. But when i start to move my head around. (like in a fast, headbanging motion, up and down or left and right)  the sound level goes down a quite alot. once i stop moving my head, the sound goes back to its original sound level after a few seconds. My old SE530's do not have this problem.This means i can only enjoy music while keeping head still, but i like to headbang abit, as i listen to metal. 

So could the SE535 owners test this out with a song with lots going on like a metal song, so u can notice it better if it does happen. Im trying to find out if my pair of faulty or is this is apparent on all SE535. 

Thank you very much

Hey, I've got my SE535s on right now, with the black foam tips (olives) which provide the best seal for me, and moving my head quite fast, way more than a little headbanging. Except from getting a bit dizzy from moving my head so fast
biggrin.gif
I can hear no volume change whatsoever.
I have no idea what could be causing that volume drop with your iems, other than seal problems, which you excluded.
What kind of tips do you usually use? Maybe you could try with different tips and see if it happens with all of them, in that case it's most definitely not the tips but something wrong with either the cables or the 'phones themselves. I'm probably the least expert of all people in here, but it sounds weird that both left and right monitors are faulty, so maybe it has something to do with the cable.
Anyway, what I'd do is write to Shure's customer service and get their opinion on this.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,426 of 4,022
Would you happen to be doing anything with your mouth while headbanging, for instance opening it like this:

Opening and closing your jaw can have a large effect on the seal of the tip and/or the shape of your ear canal.  You might be obstructing your ear canal which is reducing the sound passing into your eardrum.  Or you might be slightly breaking the seal allowing some ambient noise to interfere with your music resulting in a lower apparent volume.

Just a theory...  Maybe not everyone here is rocking out with their mouth open or moving...

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,427 of 4,022

Thank you very much

Honestly breezy_amar,
I doubt you're experiencing something with the headphones, and more something going on with your inner ears. I'm not an audiologist, that would be who you should ask, but there is so much going on with our ears like equalizing air pressure (ears "popping" at altitudes), our sense of balance, and fluids in our cochlea that all may be effected by your physical motion. Our ears are such complicated and somewhat delicate systems that I would suspect headbanging would affect those before the relatively stable mechanics of some IEMs.

Have you ever experienced a similar effect while headbanging with any other IEMs?

How did headbanging specifically get associated with heavy metal anyway, instead of just generally thrashing to the emotion? I just wonder things :D I personally am rarely in the mood for Metal (though it does happen), but I am often in the mood for listening to Radiohead, and look how Thom York orbits around his mic?

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #2,428 of 4,022
Hey guys thank you so much for the advise. i found out it was actually the tips! (cheers riccardo!). You see i had my SE535's imported from Hong Kong, and the SE535 from there (at least the ones from 2012 onwards) come with slightly different black foam sleeves to the normal ones. they have an added white filter inside, instead of being completly hollow like the original ones. probably to stop earwax and dirt getting into the nozzle. Well evidently this does more harm than good as it must be this thats causing the lowered noise level when moving, cos i swapped them with my old black foams (without the new white filter inside) and the problem is gone! 

This is what the new problem sleeves look like. 

To Evshrug. i head bang side to side when the double bass kicks in. its just wat feels good lol.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,430 of 4,022
I want to begin by thanking all of the posts on the site as they were very helpful to a neophyte to audio. 

I began my odyssey by purchasing the new Logitech 9000 Bluetooth headphones. While I enjoyed the sound of the 9000's, I read great reviews of the Parrot Zik's so I returned the 9000's and purchased the Zik's for the same price.  The Zik's were and are very technologically advanced but they like the 9000's suffered from the flaw inherent in any Bluetooth headphones, namely, Bluetooth itself compresses the music so the sound suffers.  

It was after returning the Parrot Ziks that it struck me that if I was willing to spend $400 for a headset I should remember why I am buying headphones. THE SOUND.  I wanted something portable that I could use with my iPhone 5 but I was completely unwilling to compromise on the sound.  This lead me to IEMs.   The first pair i tried were the Shure SE 535's bronzes. While the sound was truly amazing i felt they lack a little at the high end.  I wanted to compare them to their only rival at that price range, the Westone 4r.  Like many reviews I have read here, I have to agree with the conclusion, the Westone's have amazing balance and staging but are cold and veiled.  The difference between them in my opinion is the Westone sought to achieve balance and purity but lost sight of the sound while the Shures understand it is the beauty in the sound that matters.  Perfection is not beautiful it is cold.  To cure the one fault i felt in the Shure's (the slight roll off of the highs) I purchased the Shure SE535 Special Edition from a seller on EBay in Hong Kong.  Paired with a Fiio E11 amplifier the Shure SE535 Special Edition's produce pure sonic gold.   Listening to Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Jethro Tull, early Genesis and Rush is almost an epiphany of rediscovery. It took me 5 months of trial and error but I could not be happier.   

I hope my reflection on my musical journey will help another in their search as this site has helped me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back