Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #166 of 4,022
The real problem is that I visit the FS threads every day knowing I just spent enough money and won't be needing another purchase anytime soon. SE535 does sound interesting with the better treble and also retaining their mids. I'm basically just seeing phones I could buy if my remolded customs don't work out. I'm really hoping they do and somehow skip the new toy that comes every week it seems.

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #167 of 4,022

Quote:
ericp10, I don't want to derail this thread any further than you already have by engaging in a protracted argument with you. Suffice to say, you have twisted the meaning of my post to suit your own purposes, which I presume is to try and save face. Why some people are incapable of just conceding a point and moving on remains a mystery to me.

???? lol... I don't need to save face buddy, and you not wanting to derail this thread any further is a falsehood. If you were sincere about that, you wouldn't have posted the statement above. All of us moved on... Now, show you really mean it by not responding to this one. I hope you're enjoying the SE535, or will be soon. Happy listening.
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #169 of 4,022

Quote:

Funny, same with me. I think the problem is we keep coming back to Head-fi.
wink.gif

On the sound, the SE535s are a very balanced IEM; while the Westone 3s are more coloured with boomy (yet deep and controlled bass) and overly sparkly treble. For rock and jazz they are great, but if you like a more neutral presentation, then the SE535s are the ones to get. (Or ideally both!)

Thank you for these impressions; as a SE530 owner who had to send my set back under warranty and that they are for every day use i will definitely considering a set of these! :)

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #170 of 4,022
I'm dubious about the claims of such improved sound.  If that was the case, why wouldn't Shure make a bigger deal of it to justify the price hike? The only thing I've seen officially from them is a statement saying the treble was tweaked a little.

Is there a frequency graph comparison somewhere? Or anyone done double blind A/B tests? Otherwise, its just anecdotal, and even listening to the same song on the same source with same set of earphones can produce different impressions at different times.

If we were robots, life would be so much easier.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #171 of 4,022
i wish i had an opportunity to hear sound of shure earphones.... too bad =) I'm very curious person =) But not curious enough to spend that sort of money(for 2nd pair of earphones) !

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #173 of 4,022

Quote:
???? lol... I don't need to save face buddy, and you not wanting to derail this thread any further is a falsehood. If you were sincere about that, you wouldn't have posted the statement above. All of us moved on... Now, show you really mean it by not responding to this one. I hope you're enjoying the SE535, or will be soon. Happy listening.
beerchug.gif

Please spare me your pretzel logic. The only falsehood here is your bonhomie. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #174 of 4,022

Quote:
That just sounds like bias to me. What's Shure ever done to you?

Was that in response to my post or the one below it?

If mine, then no its not biased -  Shure haven't done anything to me (yet), but I just wonder why, if there's this great sound quality improvement in their new phones, that their marketing team haven't made anything of it?  As far as I can see, all the USPs they claim for the 535 over the 530 are based on build factors.

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #175 of 4,022

Quote:
I'm dubious about the claims of such improved sound.  If that was the case, why wouldn't Shure make a bigger deal of it to justify the price hike? The only thing I've seen officially from them is a statement saying the treble was tweaked a little.

Is there a frequency graph comparison somewhere? Or anyone done double blind A/B tests? Otherwise, its just anecdotal, and even listening to the same song on the same source with same set of earphones can produce different impressions at different times.

If we were robots, life would be so much easier.

That's just bias on your part. $499 is not a price hike, where I live. That was the msrp for the SE530 as well. Why would Shure feel inclined to publish frequency charts comparing the performance of their superseded model with the new one? They leave that for the geeks to obsess over. HeadRoom carry Shure, they will most likely publish a frequency chart for the SE535 in time. Anyway, frequency charts only tell one part of the story. The headphone listening experience is subjective, and people post their anecdotal findings in these forum threads.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #176 of 4,022

Quote:
That's just bias on your part. $499 is not a price hike, where I live. That was the msrp for the SE530 as well. Why would Shure feel inclined to publish frequency charts comparing the performance of their superseded model with the new one? They leave that for the geeks to obsess over. HeadRoom carry Shure, they will most likely publish a frequency chart for the SE535 in time. Anyway, frequency charts only tell one part of the story. The headphone listening experience is subjective, and people post their anecdotal findings in these forum threads.

What a bizarre response.  Fine, if you're happy to rely for your purchasing decisions on such anecdotal comments, but don't tell me I'm biased if I want to point out that 1) The 535s are a lot more expensive than the 530s for what amounts to a design change and 2) The only 'proof' that exists of sound changes between the two models lies in one email from someone at Shure saying they enhanced the treble extension slightly and a bunch of people who haven't made a head-to-head comparison with both units in front of them.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #178 of 4,022

Quote:
I've never tried the SE530, but I'm almost loathe to, given the amount of coverage they get in the mainstream over other, supposedly better iems.  Its similar to the over-hype on the Klipsch Images. I understand why, but reading reviews in mags such as What Hi-Fi, where they claim they're the best available phones (see their crowning of the Image X10s) makes me want to try them even less.

But then I'm weird like that.  Popular things turn me off.

Um, perhaps you've forgotten this post. There seems to be some bias there. Can you please explain to me what is so "bizarre" about my previous response? It looks reasonable enough to me but you're sounding a bit hot under the collar.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #179 of 4,022
Demo1...I think the 535's beat the IE8's by quite a bit.  Much better fit aside, the overall presentation provides much more clarity and eveything sounds more out front.  But then I never cared much for IE8.....

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #180 of 4,022

Quote:
Um, perhaps you've forgotten this post. There seems to be some bias there. Can you please explain to me what is so "bizarre" about my previous response? It looks reasonable enough to me but you're sounding a bit hot under the collar.

My bias isn't against Shure per se, but those large manufacturers who clearly are operating at margin levels way in advance of the smaller operations, while at the same time hardly pushing the envelope of sound, plus the media who reinforce their monopoly by only posting reviews of the big names.  With the massive rise of internet retail (who buys things in shops anymore?), there's no reason for doing this beyond lazy journalism and keeping sweet with the massively powerful advertising dollar and pound.

I just want to know - how does Shure justify this price for the 535s when surely they have been bankrolled for years by profits from sales of the 530 (hardly cheap to start with) and the R&D costs of detachable cable can hardly be extensive? It smacks of greed and opportunism to me. If the only tangible difference is the new detachable lead and smaller shell, well whoopee doo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back