Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,226 of 4,022
all, atleast up from se215 are kevlar reinforced, silver plating is propably only on the se846.

The silver plated copper cables come with the Shure SE846, but you can purchase the cable separately from Amazon or fleabay and use them with any of the MMCX connector Shure IEMs, except for the entry model SE112.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #3,227 of 4,022
Quick question,

I picked up a set of the 535 clear over the weekend and love the sound already and they probably aren't close to being broken in yet.  My only gripe at this point is that the cable is extremely stiff.   My question is, is it just the silver cable that is so stiff or is the black cable just as stiff.   If the black replacement shure cable is less stiff I may pick that up.

Thanks for any opinions

Mike 

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,228 of 4,022
  Quick question,

I picked up a set of the 535 clear over the weekend and love the sound already and they probably aren't close to being broken in yet.  My only gripe at this point is that the cable is extremely stiff.   My question is, is it just the silver cable that is so stiff or is the black cable just as stiff.   If the black replacement shure cable is less stiff I may pick that up.

Thanks for any opinions

Mike 

IMO, the black cable is less stiff. I personally prefer the clear color but have switched to the bronze because of the texture of the black cable. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #3,229 of 4,022

IMO, the black cable is less stiff. I personally prefer the clear color but have switched to the bronze because of the texture of the black cable. 

The bronze?  As in bronze cable?  I'm assuming bronze cable because you said you prefer the clear color (of the cable I assume) so I presume you mean bronze cable as well.  I'm sorry for my misunderstanding of what you meant in advance.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #3,230 of 4,022

The bronze?  As in bronze cable?  I'm assuming bronze cable because you said you prefer the clear color (of the cable I assume) so I presume you mean bronze cable as well.  I'm sorry for my misunderstanding of what you meant in advance.

The clear shell comes with the white calbe, the bronze shell with the black. Sorry for the confusion. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #3,231 of 4,022
  The clear shell comes with the white calbe, the bronze shell with the black. Sorry for the confusion. 

No worries.  To clarify then...you currently use the black cable then, correct?

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #3,233 of 4,022
Yep. Only the black cable for me when it comes to shure. I think the whole is more flexible, but especially the memory wire portion. 

Ah okay. Yeah, I wound up taking out the memory wire and the cable feels so much better with it removed. I explain how to take it out in my review (below).

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #3,234 of 4,022
I contacted Shure and their product manager told me: "All of our earphone cables are reinforced internally with Kevlar strands to give them strength. As far as the silver colored connectors (Nickel Plated) – they are only included with the SE846, but they are available separately online as an accessory. They are compatible with all of our detachable earphone products. SE215, 315, 425, 535, 846."  Glad to get clarification straight from the source. 
ksc75smile.gif

My 'older' SE530 cables weren't reinforced with Kevlar or had silver plating, which meant the cable (sheath) was not strong at all and came apart at the earphone base, necessitating earphone replacement.  Glad the newer cables (MMCX) are Kevlar reinforced and are detachable, so if anything happens to the cable, you can just replace it, or replace the stock cable with any snazzy aftermarket cable you'd like.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #3,235 of 4,022
Most of the aftermarket cables I've seen are worse quality or total con jobs next to the stock cables. I like the stock cables except the metal bendable over-ears part. I think that is unnessesary. That part is also prone to cracking. I've had to replace my cable because of that (and had a small foray into aftermarket cables... disappointment) and finally settled back to the stock cable.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,236 of 4,022
  Most of the aftermarket cables I've seen are worse quality or total con jobs next to the stock cables. I like the stock cables except the metal bendable over-ears part. I think that is unnessesary. That part is also prone to cracking. I've had to replace my cable because of that (and had a small foray into aftermarket cables... disappointment) and finally settled back to the stock cable.

One of the earlier posts indicated that the Fiio replacement cable for the Shure IEM was not of very good quality.  I have had one for about 10 months, and use it daily with my SE535's, and have not had any problems.  I find the SQ to be unchanged compared tot he stock Shure cable. The Fiio cable is more flexible than the stock Shure cable.  I use it while walking, and do not experience any microphonics issues.  I am not sure of the current price, but if I recall correctly, I paid about $30.  This is a bit less than a replacement Shure cable.  The Fiio cable does not have the same design in the area where it goes over your ears, but I have found them to stay in place in spite of the fact that they do not have the stiff outer material in that area of the cable.  Overall, I found the quality and comfort to be acceptable. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #3,237 of 4,022
I owned a Fiio cable. The plug doesn't work well on things like DACs. The way it's shaped makes it so it cuts out because the jack doesn't fit in all the way. I'd been using a Fiio cable for a bit and bought a new dac. The dac started cutting out when listening so I naturally blamed the DAC. Turns out it was an issue with the Fiio cable. I don't have the same problem with the Shure cable. The Fiio also cuts out on the connections to the buds quite badly also but I didn't experience that as badly as some reviewers have. I prefer how there isn't the flexable metal overear part on the Fiio cable but otherwise I think the Shure cable is much better quality than the Fiio. I do think the Fiio cable sounds brighter than the Shure cable but that could just be placebo.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #3,238 of 4,022
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I pulled out my SE535s today for the first time in several months since I got my SE846s, and re-discovered a (mostly minor) issue with the cable. The plug for the SE846s has this small extender so it fits into a lot of cases that the SE535 (and below) cables don't fit into, like the iPad smart case for example. I meant to take them with me on an upcoming trip, but it's rather annoying that I have to take my iPad out of its case to use the SE535s. Why does Shure use a different plug design for the SE846s than for the rest of its earphone models..? Seems like a simple improvement to make.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,240 of 4,022
  Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I pulled out my SE535s today for the first time in several months since I got my SE846s, and re-discovered a (mostly minor) issue with the cable. The plug for the SE846s has this small extender so it fits into a lot of cases that the SE535 (and below) cables don't fit into, like the iPad smart case for example. I meant to take them with me on an upcoming trip, but it's rather annoying that I have to take my iPad out of its case to use the SE535s. Why does Shure use a different plug design for the SE846s than for the rest of its earphone models..? Seems like a simple improvement to make.

Shure made the SE846 plug smartphone / tablet case friendly and the SE846 is the latest Shure iem.

I assume what you actually mean to say is whether there are any prospects of Shure rolling out the SE846 plug design to the rest of the line.

A cheap aftermarket cable is an idea. Also sans memory wire (not that it has ever bothered me) iem are closer / flatter fitting. ymmv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back