Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #2,296 of 4,022

Quote:
No theres a boost, Tylls graphs are just stretched out so it's hard to notice. See headrooms. Still, the mids are forward because neither the bass or treble are a step above the mids. Very natural sounding IEM, that's for sure.

There is no boost. Not in Tyll's graphs, not on the Headroom's graphs and no to my ears. I'd suggest trying other eartips? Could be an HRTF issue?

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2731

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,298 of 4,022

Quote:
There is, the median is 1k at 0db, 3-4db bass boost from there. 

I think you need to discern bass from mids. The boost you're mentioning is in the bass  (not the mids) and about 2-3dB from what I can see.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2,299 of 4,022
When i said boost, it's clearly the bass boost. Re-read my post on the previous page to make the whole thing clear again, sorry for the misunderstanding. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2,300 of 4,022

Quote:
When i said boost, it's clearly the bass boost. Re-read my post on the previous page to make it clear again, sorry for the misunderstanding. 

No worries. What ear tips are you using? I find that they can be quite helpful in personally tuning the sound and fit.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #2,301 of 4,022
Don't have them anymore, but i used Olives. Using monster adapters to place in monster supertips also balanced out the treble nicely. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2,302 of 4,022

Quote:
Don't have them anymore, but i used Olives. Using monster adapters to place in monster supertips also balanced out the treble nicely. 

Funny, the olives and SE535s worked really well with me, but everyone's ears are different. I recently picked up the TF10s (again after 2 years) and this time I tried the Complies...and wow, what a difference in sound and comfort.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #2,303 of 4,022
This might not be the right forum, but I have to say that I was disappointed with the SE535s.  They didn't give me the comfort I was expecting, the body of the IEM seemed a bit to large, there was pain in my ears from the fit, the cables were too thick, there were microphonics that were worse than any other Shure IEMs I have, and the mids were a bit more pronounced than some of my other Shures.  These have been returned.

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,304 of 4,022

Quote:
This might not be the right forum, but I have to say that I was disappointed with the SE535s.  They didn't give me the comfort I was expecting, the body of the IEM seemed a bit to large, there was pain in my ears from the fit, the cables were too thick, there were microphonics that were worse than any other Shure IEMs I have, and the mids were a bit more pronounced than some of my other Shures.  These have been returned.

This is the right forum, don't worry!
wink.gif

I mentioned that in my mini-review of the SE535SE. Although most people seems satisfied with the shape of Shure/Westone IEMs, I also find them a bit too big for my ears and the nozzles do not point exactly in the right directions for my right ear especially. It can be worked around by finding the right tips, but this was a surprise to me.
Having owned SE420 and tried SE530 (previous generation), their smoother shapes were more "universal".
SE420 have provided me with the deepest fit I've ever experienced with IEMs, while UM3X and SE535SE (which have a similar shape) are just average in this regard.

Regarding the cable, I have to agree as well. Although it is tangle-free, it is a bit too thick and the earguides are just awful, mine don't keep the bending I want because the metal wire is too weak to hold the shape. If you combine this with the free-rotating connections, the cables can easily slide outwards from the top of my ears. And to top it off, the SE535 clear version cable has a cloth-like texture producing copious amounts of microphonics.
The cable is so bugging that I ordered custom-made replacement cables.

But not all is bad, the SE535 casings have a high quality finish and stunning design (especially in red or bronze).
Shure casings with Westone cables would be the perfect blend, material quality-wise.
L3000.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #2,306 of 4,022

Quote:
There is no boost. Not in Tyll's graphs, not on the Headroom's graphs and no to my ears. I'd suggest trying other eartips? Could be an HRTF issue?

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2731

If you pair this graphic with the impedance of 8 Ohms that this iem has on the 5k region you'll find out that unless you amp these earphones you will have a big hole at the upper mid and low treble area (That's the reason for the treble complaints that usually plague Shure top tier).

You need an amp with close to zero output impedance which usually means that you need a portable headphone amp.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2,307 of 4,022

Quote:
If you pair this graphic with the impedance of 8 Ohms that this iem has on the 5k region you'll find out that unless you amp these earphones you will have a big hole at the upper mid and low treble area (That's the reason for the treble complaints that usually plague Shure top tier).

You need an amp with close to zero output impedance which usually means that you need a portable headphone amp.

My comments were with regards from 1kHz down to 20Hz. Nothing about the treble. Personally I liked the SE535's treble (amp'd or right out of my iPhone).

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2,308 of 4,022
has anyone tried these with the shure CBL-k-M cable with controls and mic? im considering getting it so that i can use it with my phone but apparently the connector is different and the cable is flimsy. has anyone tried them? hoping they don change SQ :/

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #2,309 of 4,022
hey ... im plannin to get the bravo audio v2 for my shure se 535 cl ....
i ll be runnin it out of an ipod shuffle/laptop ... how much of an improvement can i expect ??? 

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #2,310 of 4,022
Quote:
hey ... im plannin to get the bravo audio v2 for my shure se 535 cl ....
i ll be runnin it out of an ipod shuffle/laptop ... how much of an improvement can i expect ??? 

Probably around -100%

They are way too sensitive for that amp and will probably hiss like an angry cat.  You probably don't want to make the 535s any more lush either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back