Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,847 of 4,022
Jan 2, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #1,849 of 4,022
I've finally managed to pinpoint the exact reason why the 535s don't fit me very well.  It all comes down to the angle between the cord and the body of the earpiece.  Its just too small.

When I wear the 530s, its larger angle allows me to position the earpiece vertically with the "SHURE" text perpendicular to the ground.  In that orientation I can get a tight seal with small tips and movements of my jaw or face do not cause my outer ear to push on the earpiece causing discomfort or loss of seal.

The small angle of the 535s combined with the length of the plug and the memory wire make it impossible for the earpiece to be worn in a vertical orientation.  This pushes it against the outer ear, and when combined with its sharp corners (compared to the 530s anyway) makes it quite uncomfortable and prone to the loss of its seal.

If I detach the earpieces from the wires they will seal properly with comfortably small tips and are much less prone to losing their seal.  Unfortunately, they produce no sound that way...
frown.gif
  Even then, the comparatively sharp corners make them less comfortable than my 530s.

It is now almost certain that I will sell them, but I'm still going to see if the large Complys produce a miracle.  I am about to disembark at the last stop along the Universal IEM Line and start saving for a ticket on the Custom Molded Express.  Maybe some ES5s...

In conclusion, I think I've discovered that anyone who wears their 530s 'vertically' like I do should probably stay away from the 535s.

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,850 of 4,022

Quote:
I've finally managed to pinpoint the exact reason why the 535s don't fit me very well.  It all comes down to the angle between the cord and the body of the earpiece.  Its just too small.

When I wear the 530s, its larger angle allows me to position the earpiece vertically with the "SHURE" text perpendicular to the ground.  In that orientation I can get a tight seal with small tips and movements of my jaw or face do not cause my outer ear to push on the earpiece causing discomfort or loss of seal.

The small angle of the 535s combined with the length of the plug and the memory wire make it impossible for the earpiece to be worn in a vertical orientation.  This pushes it against the outer ear, and when combined with its sharp corners (compared to the 530s anyway) makes it quite uncomfortable and prone to the loss of its seal.

If I detach the earpieces from the wires they will seal properly with comfortably small tips and are much less prone to losing their seal.  Unfortunately, they produce no sound that way...
frown.gif
  Even then, the comparatively sharp corners make them less comfortable than my 530s.

It is now almost certain that I will sell them, but I'm still going to see if the large Complys produce a miracle.  I am about to disembark at the last stop along the Universal IEM Line and start saving for a ticket on the Custom Molded Express.  Maybe some ES5s...

In conclusion, I think I've discovered that anyone who wears their 530s 'vertically' like I do should probably stay away from the 535s.

I sympathize with you.
You should try custom earmold (fullshell in this case, no canal)
Just to displace, move out a bit the earpiece from  the inside ears.
Is it make sens ?!
let me know if it work!

...visit an audiologist, it can help you, he will adjust it like an hearing aid.

...or if nothing works, then last thing to do is... fill the gap with expanded foam!

wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,851 of 4,022

Quote:

Neither the SE530 or SE535 were designed to be worn vertically...maybe the SE530 worked a bit better in that regard, but both work better behind the ear for me.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,852 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:

Neither the SE530 or SE535 were designed to be worn vertically...maybe the SE530 worked a bit better in that regard, but both work better behind the ear for me.

indeed, for me too! this is the way it supposed to be worn!

biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,853 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:

I think you misunderstood. I think what was meant was the SE530s fit maverickronin more like this:

I could be wrong about that though.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,854 of 4,022
Moseboy's got it right.

I went and checked in the mirror and the 530s were more like 45 degrees rather than the nearly vertical I assumed, but the 535s are horizontal. (Relative to the "shure" text)

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,855 of 4,022

I would be interested to know how you go with the comply (I assume the Tx100). My fit problem with the SE535 sounds similar to yours, where I seem to need a tip size that is just a hair bit larger than the stock medium sized olives. I am about to order the monster supertips (based on recommendation of reseller) to address this issue.

Quote:
I made a set of small spacers from the stem of the triple flanges to put on the nozzle and keep the foam tips from sliding down to the base.  The medium Complys will seal, but only if I sit perfectly still and the medium olives will seal a little better but still not good enough.  Unless the large Complys work miracles or I come up with some brilliant trick I think I'll be selling the 535s

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #1,856 of 4,022
I'll report back when they come in.

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,858 of 4,022
personally,i get much better isolation with the 535 than the 530 because they sit more flush against my ear blocking out more sound...it is the memory cord that causes me the most issue because they tend to pull and create noise and irritation as i move...that said,i much prefer the 535 due to the improved isolation

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,859 of 4,022
I received SE535 clear yesterday and I have some questions:

Is it normal that the earphone unit make static sound when the plug moves (seems like it's random when it's moved quite a bit - maybe 45 degrees angle) - I have Sony X1061 Walkman. I had Triple. Fi and Super Fi 5 PRO before and that never seemed like a problem.

Thank you!

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,860 of 4,022
That kind of thing is pretty random.  Manufacturing tolerances aren't perfect and if you combine the wrong plug with the wrong jack you an get an issue like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back