Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #1,696 of 4,022
I wish I could get that deal (trading my 530's plus $50 for a pair of 535's).  I would go for that in an instant.  From what I've read the sound is slightly improved overall and the new replaceable cables mean the 535's will essentially last almost indefinitely.  I've had to replace my 530's (under warranty so far) approximately every year due to cable problems that simply will not occur with the 535's and if by some chance they ever did occur, it would be a simple and inexpensive matter to replace the cable, which can't be done with the 530's.  So please, if possible, tell me how I could get that trade in deal?

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #1,697 of 4,022
About the SE535 (or any other earphone) being "accurate" and thinking then you can ear the music the way the producer wanted... i think its a bit of a dream... :) 

First lacking bass dont mean the sound is accurate.
Also even In recording studio sound is not always really flat, for exemple even Yamaha NS10 that were used a lot are not flat... 

Also many many recordings that you listen and are less that 10 years old might have been mixed on Mackie 824 for exemple as they became very popular at some point, and They are very much not flat in the Low End (at least for me), or on monitoring system that use a Subwoofer like Blue Sky monitors, Thats just an example... 

Also after mixing, when the tracks are send for mastering, the mastering is made also with other type of monitors... and all those peoples who mix and master those tracks have different ears compared to yours, so even if you were in the same room with them you will hear those tracks differently... so even if you have flat earphone you will not ear like in the studio. 

Also those "graph" about earphone mean not much, they can change widely with different tips, how deep the earphone are pushed in, seal etc etc... there is no way that you will ear exactly like in the studio and i think now especially if you think having flat bass under 100hz is like in a studio its in fact not the case most of the time anymore.... 

IN FACT when mixing, its important that the mix will translate well on most speakers, earphone etc etc... and then at that point its possible to downplay the "BASS" because we know peoples most often have the bass pushed to +10 on their reciever, on there mp3 player etc etc... so in fact if you use earphone who are flat under 120hz its possible that you dont hear the music as the producer wanted.... 

So saying "ah well if you want more bass it mean you like to listen altered version of the song, me i want to hear it like the producer wanted" is non sense..

Also in studio we dont use only ONE PAIR of monitors to mix so its a balance of some different "way of hearing the track" that you get at the end... 

so all in all there is no rule really, just use what give you pleasure but dont imagine there is a way to ear like in the studio where it was mixed it seem impossible to me... 
Even if your beloved earphone are "flat from 20 to 20000hz"

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #1,698 of 4,022
Hello!

I do not think my 530 has a natural sound. Maybe if you do not mess with the equalizator and even then, depending on the player used. For a natural sound, where my choice will fall on my ER4P with P to S adapter. The Shure, in my opinion, has a fun and energetic sound, leaning towards the dark side of the force...
normal_smile%20.gif

This is one of the few phones that, unlike benefit from a headphone amplifier, is actually harmed by them. The 530 is too sensitive and has low resistance and, when amplified, is too excited, losing the sweetness of his sound. My old SE420, by contrast, was very much benefited by an amplifier. Go figure...

This Shure works at its best when connected directly to my Cowon J3. And to overcome the deficiencies of the headphone (condensate sound with little ambience), we'll mess with the options of equalization in the J3, then yes, things become very interesting.

For those with an SE530 (or 535) and a Cowon J3, here are the settings, noting that I only use FLAC files and Comply Foam tips:

Equalization
135 Hz: 3 - Wide;
385 Hz: 1 - Wide;
1.1 Hz: 0 - Wide;
3.0 Hz: 1 - Wide;
11.7 Hz: 2 - Wide.

BBE:
BBE: 8;
Mach3Bass: 0;
3D Surround: 2;
MP Enhance: 0.

SE:
Stereo Enhance: 2;
Reverb: 1.

Feel free to comment on the settings used.

Cheers,

Peter

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #1,699 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In my experience with virtually every IEM I have ever owned or heard, siloce tri-flanged tips seem to create a bit more congested, in the head sense of feeling and a smaller soundstage.  I find complys/olives to show a more open and natural sound with a slightly larger soundstage.  Just my opinion.

While I think SE535 is a fine IEM I find the midrange a bit too forward for my tastes.

I don't think the mids are that forward, just not as recessed as other IEMs can be. The FR charts show a very flat response. YMMV.

Hi, what is your personal opinion about upgrading my 530 to 535 ?  have to send back to Shure my 530 + 50. $...to get it.
...regardless all the new fla-fla  (cosmetic) that  less important to me than the sound atmosphere i get with my 530 
I know that 530 are balanced and flat iem, but is 535 are more , less or same flatness? balanced,? FR ?
Am happy with the bass i get from the 530. but, if the 535 give me less... i'l keep my 530 !

voila !

d(-_-)b

Pierre

Bonjour Pierre:

For  me the improvements were worth it as I found the smaller sound stage and rolled off treble a bit too much for me. Thankfully both have been fixed on the SE535s. But they are not totally different sounding IEMs. The SE535s are still Shures with amazing mids and deep well defined bass and now with treble that is no longer rolled off and better sound staging. You will have to decide if that's worth it to you.

BTW, here's an awesome deal on the SE535s from a Canadian retailer here in the GTA (greater Toronto area) and I can definitely vouche for them too.

http://www.electronicsforless.ca/audio-3/earphones-headphones-38/shure-se535-cl-sound-isolating-in-ear-earphones-1835.html

thank you !

BTW, i have deal with Shure Canada already, (upgrade deal)

thx

wink_face.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #1,700 of 4,022

Quote:
I wish I could get that deal (trading my 530's plus $50 for a pair of 535's).  I would go for that in an instant.  From what I've read the sound is slightly improved overall and the new replaceable cables mean the 535's will essentially last almost indefinitely.  I've had to replace my 530's (under warranty so far) approximately every year due to cable problems that simply will not occur with the 535's and if by some chance they ever did occur, it would be a simple and inexpensive matter to replace the cable, which can't be done with the 530's.  So please, if possible, tell me how I could get that trade in deal?

thx for ur comments.

Oh!... How to get that deal ? Umm... let see!

Here the routine!

Around 50.$ is the diff btw the price i pay for (my less than a year) 530pth, and the diff$ of the new 535.(549. $ cand)

Have to send back my 530,  of corse ! ...and it come with a fresh new 2 y guaranty.
I've done that about... many times. beginning with my E4c- send it back,(cable issues) pay extra$ to jump to SE420, less than a month, i'l send it back the get better.
Send it back 420 (always less than 30 days) pay diff.for getting the SE530pth.
But now, i ask them (again) to replace my 530 ... they refuse !
They said my guaranty  (of my original ) is exp.
So... they offer me that "Upgrade Deal"  

hopping  that this was clear to you
lol... 

more infos let me no (know) ?!

wink_face.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #1,701 of 4,022
3 things:

First, this is not meant to offend anyone, but the grammar in this thread is steadily going downhill. It's becoming quite difficult to read some posts. I know some can't help it, but please try.

Second, (and I feel I'm allowed to say this because I have both,) let's not automatically apply comments to both the SE530 and the SE535, specifically about the way they sound. After extended listening with the two of them, while not a drastic departure from its predecessor, the SE535 does indeed sound different (and in my opinion, better) than the SE530. Knowing this, I would prefer not to see comments that hint at the assumption of the two sounding the same (unless you have actually heard both and are making such a comment based on experience which we can discuss).

Last, as far as the upgrade "deal" from the SE530 to the SE535, call me mean, but I sincerely hope that it doesn't work for you guys. I was in the same position as you: The rubber cable strain relief on my SE530s have come unglued from each earpiece over the years (they still work just fine). But according to Shure they are technically out of warranty. I emailed Shure asking about paying extra for the SE535, and here is the exact response I got back:

Response (Judy Whitney) 09/02/2010 07:41 AM
Sorry.

Unfortunately, the Shure Service Department does not do upgrades on earphones.

And so I ended up paying retail for my SE535s. Needless to say, I will not be at all happy to find out I could have saved hundreds of dollars by "upgrading" when I was told I couldn't.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #1,702 of 4,022

Quote:
3 things:

First, this is not meant to offend anyone, but the grammar in this thread is steadily going downhill. It's becoming quite difficult to read some posts. I know some can't help it, but please try.

Second, (and I feel I'm allowed to say this because I have both,) let's not automatically apply comments to both the SE530 and the SE535, specifically about the way they sound. After extended listening with the two of them, while not a drastic departure from its predecessor, the SE535 does indeed sound different (and in my opinion, better) than the SE530. Knowing this, I would prefer not to see comments that hint at the assumption of the two sounding the same (unless you have actually heard both and are making such a comment based on experience which we can discuss).

Last, as far as the upgrade "deal" from the SE530 to the SE535, call me mean, but I sincerely hope that it doesn't work for you guys. I was in the same position as you: The rubber cable strain relief on my SE530s have come unglued from each earpiece over the years (they still work just fine). But according to Shure they are technically out of warranty. I emailed Shure asking about paying extra for the SE535, and here is the exact response I got back:

Response (Judy Whitney) 09/02/2010 07:41 AM
Sorry.

Unfortunately, the Shure Service Department does not do upgrades on earphones.

And so I ended up paying retail for my SE535s. Needless to say, I will not be at all happy to find out I could have saved hundreds of dollars by "upgrading" when I was told I couldn't.

HEY! 

Am french, and i do my all my best here to communicate my opinions, so if someone dont understand my grammar,
I apologize. Only don't read my post ! I have post in french recently, and only 1 member come to me with answer,
and no to argue  about my poor grammar.  

Sorry, to bad for you.  Here in my country (Quebec)
Shure Canada is willing to do it.
I have simply call  Shure Canada Office (Customer service / guarantee dept) and they do it for me about 4 times.
If they don't work for you, or others, maybe there politics is different from different country! Or maybe your story is different to mine!
Và savoir!

salut !

biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #1,703 of 4,022
Not only you, I know you're trying

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #1,705 of 4,022
What the hell, how did you get them to do that?

EDIT:

Because if I can get them to do it for me, I'll just get a second SE535 and sell it.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,706 of 4,022
Hello moseboy!

I have to agree with you, but also disagreeing...
wink.gif

I agree in the sense that it takes a little more care with the English language, which is the official language of this forum. And I go beyond: writing anything other than English will limit the reading to a small group of people, where I do not guess right. To write here, you need a little knowledge of the language of Shakespeare and use an online translation tool (if needed), such as that offered by Google (http://translate.google.com/ #) and rather try to revise the text before you make it available . That's what I do and I am sorry if there is still some error. Again, it is a price to pay for the forum's global reach.

Secondly, does the difference between the SE530 and SE535 is so big? We constantly compare very different headphones here, so, what is the problem in comparing nearly equal headphones? If it is clear on which model we are talking, I cant see any problem. Also, because this way we will definitely stop talking about the SE530, which is still a high quality product and totally valid. Anyway, if this is the understanding of all, I remove my signature of this topic.

I'll finish by giving you an example: My SE530 was standing there too long because my choice always falls on other headphones in my collection, and because of this topic, it is one of the headphones that I most use, rescuing the pleasure I had forgotten. You are responsible for this, and for everyone, thank you very much.

Cheers,

Peter

Sorry about my poor english. My portuguese is much, much better...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Second, (and I feel I'm allowed to say this because I have both,) let's not automatically apply comments to both the SE530 and the SE535, specifically about the way they sound.

...I would prefer not to see comments that hint at the assumption of the two sounding the same (unless you have actually heard both and are making such a comment based on experience which we can discuss).

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #1,707 of 4,022
Dec 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #1,708 of 4,022

Quote:
Sorry moseboy Shure cut a deal with me for my broken SE530's. They accepted a replacement. I will have my brand new SE535's soon!

Lucky guy!

Enjoy your new SE535

biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #1,709 of 4,022

Quote:
What the hell, how did you get them to do that?

EDIT:

Because if I can get them to do it for me, I'll just get a second SE535 and sell it.

Normally, you have to send back the other pair !?
I think !?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back