Shure SE530/SE535 Owners: A few tidbits/hacks that are worth knowing ...
Nov 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 35
"I have a single ten pack of yellow foamies and a three pack of Westone Complys that I have been using for over a year now and they are as good today as they were when purchased. I've dirtied them and washed them at least six or seven times. And, I don't foresee having to spend money on tips again for at least another year or more."

Hi dudes, does your yellow foamies and complys soften after wash?? Mine soften alot after 1st wash ....
Thanks

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
"I have a single ten pack of yellow foamies and a three pack of Westone Complys that I have been using for over a year now and they are as good today as they were when purchased. I've dirtied them and washed them at least six or seven times. And, I don't foresee having to spend money on tips again for at least another year or more."

Hi dudes, does your yellow foamies and complys soften after wash?? Mine soften alot after 1st wash ....
Thanks

A small bit, yes. But not a lot. Nothing to prevent me from using them daily. 

That said ... the Comply's soften more than the others ... and they really don't expand that well until they are warmed (IE > stuck in your ear) ... for the Comply's? I will many times hold them in my fist for a minute or so to warm them before squishing and inserting. Works pretty good, though they are still rather soft compared to the yellow foamies and the default Shure Olives.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 35
Found your post just in time. I know you wrote this a while back, but it is still timely! Thanks!

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #23 of 35
Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but when you guys say putting the IEM into the freezer, do you guys seal it inside a plastic bag or something before putting it in?

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #24 of 35
Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but when you guys say putting the IEM into the freezer, do you guys seal it inside a plastic bag or something before putting it in?

I did not put it in a bag but in retrospect I probably should have. It should not take long maybe 15 minutes tops.

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 35
I did not put it in a bag but in retrospect I probably should have. It should not take long maybe 15 minutes tops.

Thanks. And just making sure its the 'freezer' where you freeze your foods and not the icebox/cooler. Sorry English is my second language. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #26 of 35
Thanks. And just making sure its the 'freezer' where you freeze your foods and not the icebox/cooler. Sorry English is my second language. 

Yes the freezer where you put your food. Again, you want to put it in the minimum amount of time. When the form tip is hard just twist and it should come off. After that you should never have that problem again.

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #27 of 35
Im surprised that this thread doesnt mention the knowles dampers for a mod.. done a bit of reading on it and they definitely seem like a mod or hack to look into.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #28 of 35
Yes the freezer where you put your food. Again, you want to put it in the minimum amount of time. When the form tip is hard just twist and it should come off. After that you should never have that problem again.

I have come to report that I tried the freezer trick and it worked. Basically I took the Shure case (that comes with the 535LTD), unzip it 3/4 way and left it (with the earphones and cables in it ofcourse) in the freezer for fifteen minutes. True enough, I was able to twist, turn and pull the first earphone off the nozzle pretty easily; the second one was abit tighter so I had to pry a little underneath the inner sheath and off it came. This freezer thing will be my go to method whenever I want to swap earbuds in the future, thanks!

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #29 of 35
I have come to report that I tried the freezer trick and it worked. Basically I took the Shure case (that comes with the 535LTD), unzip it 3/4 way and left it (with the earphones and cables in it ofcourse) in the freezer for fifteen minutes. True enough, I was able to twist, turn and pull the first earphone off the nozzle pretty easily; the second one was abit tighter so I had to pry a little underneath the inner sheath and off it came. This freezer thing will be my go to method whenever I want to swap earbuds in the future, thanks!

I am glad it worked. The good news is after doing once I never needed to freeze an ear tip to get it off again.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #30 of 35
I am glad it worked. The good news is after doing once I never needed to freeze an ear tip to get it off again.

I had the same experience with my 535's.  Got them just this past week.  I put them in a ziplock sandwich bag, and into the deep freeze next to the Breyer's...I couldn't bring myself to omit the bag.  I took them out after 5 minutes but it wasn't enough.  Put them back for 10 minutes, and presto, the tips slide off like greased pigs.  I have changed tips a half dozen times in the past week after trying each type that came with the 535's + Comply's + Westone star.  Haven't had any difficulty removing any tips since the OTB tips were to be removed.  Gotta be magic, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back