Shure SE310 Appreciation Thread
Aug 17, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Pianist,

I would be very interested for you to compare the SE310 with the CX300 that you own.

I have the SE210, and CX300's. The SE210's have much less bass (so when you first get them they'll seem more clear), but that's not the detrimental quality of the phones. The sound, after you adjust to the Shures, seems veiled and somewhat stuffy, but without as much bass. There are highs... to a point. Then the massive roll off kicks in, and cymbals and higher notes in guitars (especially in jazz) seem drowned out by the ever present mids. Apparently those issues is solved with the 310's.

Definitely better than CX300's, just because it loses that HORRIBLE bass. Isolation and comfort is top notch as well.

Aug 17, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 33
i own the se530 and can honestly say i havnt touched another iem since,apart from the triple fi 10's but i still came back to the sweet mids of these shures,let alone the shures look much better and fit better,anyway to the point i have tried the se310 and they are a great set of iems,one of the best in its class (that class being the ue 5 pro's and shure e4c's and the like) it has great highs and smooth clean lows,mids were tight and clean and more importantly clear over all the musical bass and high background,ofcourse they are not in the same league as the se530 as many would expect but when i tried these i expected these to sound pretty bad coming from my 530's and i was blown away,they really had me bowled over at first,and sounded like they were up for the challenge,on further inspection the bass wasnt nearly as tight and punchy as multi driver set ups and the mids not as smooth as one would like,but in its own league it really is a great iem and probly hasnt got as much credit around head fi as is deserved,as a single driver iem it really shows they still can come out well with good tuning and manufacturing,ive also owned the ue 5 pro which i thought sounded superb at first but when i got the se530 i soon realised they were actually pretty boomy which took a bit of spark out of the mids,so for this reason the shure se310 gets my vote in that price range,even knocking the e4c's clean out with tighter cleaner bass reproduction
basshead.gif
as far as cx300's are concerned they are decent,but they ent in the high end earphone market really if were all bein honest with ourselves,in comparison with the se310 they sound very boomy with inacurate bass and very little crytalline high end,but decent for price,better than sony ex71's

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopemanjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm is there a lot of difference between E4c and SE 310?

erm yeh the se310 do generally have better cleaner tighter bass,not a huge difference in bass but the difference makes a huge difference to overall sound,power,punch and clarity

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #20 of 33
I'd love to get the Shure SE310 but the price of the headphone is ridiculous (US$250 retail, circa US$180 from a top-notch eBay reseller).
eek.gif

I've heard this headphone and do agree its has excellent sound, especially if you use the foam earpads for a tight seal.
etysmile.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Pianist,

I would be very interested for you to compare the SE310 with the CX300 that you own.

There's no contest at all. The Shure SE310s are in a completely different league. They are much more accurate than the CX300s. Compared to the Shures, the Senns are pretty mediocre phones with booming bass, hollow and colored treble, and highs that while being pretty extended are quite confused (lack accuracy), especially in the upper trebles. The Senns do have good detail, but the Shures have a lot more. Also, the CX300s sound much more 'closed in' and you really feel like you're listening to in-ears, while the Shures (like most other true IEMs as well), sound much more open and have a good enough soundstage so that they make you feel almost as though you're listening to a good quality full-sized studio monitor (provided that you fit them correctly in your ears, of course). Actually, I would say I prefer my JVC Marshmallows to the Senn CX300s, and I also liked the Panasonic RPHJE50s more when I had them - the Senns just proved to be too colored for my tastes.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one who finds the E4's bass lacking?, i mean its nice and even, but i could use a more "twang" and impact to the bass

Until I got my RSA Tomahawk amp today I was feeling my E4c were lacking in the bass department - they play very low frequencies, but it just seemed a little lower in amplitude than I wanted. Much improved with the headphone amp.

Prior to today I was using my SE310's more, despite a little less detail, because to me the SE310 have louder bass and still sound very natural. The bass on my E2c is about as loud as my E4c, but clearly not as deep or as defined. I really don't use the E2c much anymore because I have heard better. If I had never heard the SE310 or E4c I would have said the E2c were nice, but my iGrado's are better for half the price.

Needless to say, I will not be parting with my SE310 or E4c, but I might sell off the E2c someday but not right now. If I could ONLY KEEP ONE of my IEM's it would be hard to decide between the SE310 and E4c. OTOH, when I just want to blast music and have fun without trying to hearevery last hidden part of the music, I go for the Denon AH-C700's or iGrado's.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #24 of 33
Can someone tell me how the replaceable cable work? I heard that I can replace the default cable with something shorter? Is it possible to completely customize the length of the cable?

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #25 of 33
doubled, sry

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jffkm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's a little while ago after deciding to upgrade from a trusty pair of e3's that died on me. (they lasted quite a while and went through an uncommon amount of abuse after commuting with me daily for almost 5 years...i loved those things), but I ended up returning the super.fi's for a few reasons. The first was fit and finish. They are very large and uncomfortable to wear, projecting almost an inch out of the ear on either side. Second was the sound isolation. I simply could not fit these things into my ear canal as well as the e3's fit with etymotic triple flange sleeves (the er4 triple sleeves fit the shure e3's perfectly and are a bit nicer (i think the rubber is slightly different in terms of composition and the shaft of the sleeve is shorter allowing for a lower profile after insertion)) The sound was great on the UE's when i was mashing them into my ear canal (i.e. fantastic bass extension, very detailed and neutral mid's and highs) but it was too much of a tradeoff to walk around constantly pushing them back into my ears (and yes, i tried every sleeve in the fit kit). Third, a personal gripe, is the chemical odor on super.fi's that is on the headphones and casing. I don't know what process they use to make the headphones but I suffer from migraines and these things were wreaking havoc on them because of the pungent smell. I have no idea what it is to be honest, but it's quite strong out of the box. So I went in on a pair of se310's and i love 'em. Neutral bass, mid's and highs lack a bit in comparison to the UE's (when shoving them into the ear) but the comfort, and neutrality of the sound are still great. They are a bit less sensitive compared to the UE's but they seem to reveal a lot more flaws in the encoding for some of my tracks. My entire computer library is in FLAC but for the ipod i have everything at 320kbps. I can definitely pick up more flaws in the encoding with the shures. it may be the superior seal of the phones though to be honest. The sound isolation that i can get with these is so good it's almost scary. i.e. i can't hear any traffic at all when walking in nyc (even with no playback) so it's even potentially dangerous. As an example track, I usually play Sufjan Steven's "for the widows..." and listen for his vocal cue and breathing in the opening. the shures dominate in revealing these types of detail. for anyone considering them, go for it. compared to the e3's, i can't say they're a better value because i loved the e3's and they're much cheaper these days, but the sound on the se310's is butter.

Hmmm I'm glad you mentioned the "smell" that the Super.fi's produce, I though maybe my pair was just tainted or something like that. Never really notice it while wearing them, only if I try to smell them. Nice to know that I'm not alone
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #27 of 33
LOL! Don't smell fishy to you? I thought it was funny to, as some people use the word smell, some call it the "flavor", but I refer to it as the character of the headphone so I don't get acused of eating them with a little Chianti and Fava beans...

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 33
Just got my se310 last week, they kill the zune premiums in every way, much better bass, treble, and of course the mids, vocals don't sound hollow any more. I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back