Shure SE 535 or Sennheiser IE 80?
Jun 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:
From your list, each one has it's strengths and weaknesses, but I guess you could make a case that the 4R might be best for all around sound taking everything into account?
Ken

The 4R is the jack-of-all-trades, master of none, it can also handle the most amount of genres , but not in the best way. So I would say it's the most neutral out of the 3, however, it may sound boring.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:
The 4R is the jack-of-all-trades, master of none, it can also handle the most amount of genres , but not in the best way. So I would say it's the most neutral out of the 3, however, it may sound boring.

I wouldn't call the 4R boring :p

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't call the 4R boring :p

The W4's are pretty neutral and inoffensive... I can sort see that being synonymous with boring to someone who is a basshead. :D

If you want more bass, I'd lean more towards the W3 than the W4. I'd even suggest the TF10's for bass over the W4, although IMO, they're a bit lacking in the mids.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

The W4's are pretty neutral and inoffensive... I can sort see that being synonymous with boring to someone who is a basshead. :D

If you want more bass, I'd lean more towards the W3 than the W4. I'd even suggest the TF10's for bass over the W4, although IMO, they're a bit lacking in the mids.

Not only bassheads, but trebleheads too xD

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #22 of 51
Gee, so much for going by the "rating chart". :)

I'm not sure which to try next? Was goIng to try the Westone. Now im not sure if i should.

It seems you have then Senn ranked low except for bass. I think Sony was supposed to be grainy (harsh)?

I had been listening to the 535's quite a bit over the weekend and when not listening, I had them playing to get broken in. The detail and soundstage compared to the crap I am used to is amazing. I just wish it had some more bass so it doesn't sound so thin.

So what gets the vote to try next?

Thanks,
Ken

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:
Gee, so much for going by the "rating chart".
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure which to try next? Was goIng to try the Westone. Now im not sure if i should.
It seems you have then Senn ranked low except for bass. I think Sony was supposed to be grainy (harsh)?
I had been listening to the 535's quite a bit over the weekend and when not listening, I had them playing to get broken in. The detail and soundstage compared to the crap I am used to is amazing. I just wish it had some more bass so it doesn't sound so thin.
So what gets the vote to try next?
Thanks,
Ken

I only found out it sounded different from the demo set I tested out today :xf_mad:, I had thought it sounded muffled but tried to delude myself it isn't, well going to try to get these replaced first.

It's because the sennheisers do sound very mainstream tuned, therefore would sound better on mainstream and electronic, which I do not listen. And yes, the EX-1000's highs could be both grainy AND harsh.

I'm thinking the FX700(lack isolation, however), TF10 or W3 may do you good.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #24 of 51
If this helps,  the music I listen to predominantly is Rock. I don't listen to jazz or classical. With that said, I would like it all in term of bass, highs, soundstage, detail. Maybe there isn't an all in one IEM?

Since you mention the W3, what am I giving up over the W4?

Are there stores in NYC that you can audition IEM's?

Also note that all of my listening is with an Ipod.

Thanks,
Ken

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Thanks,
Ken

I think J&R's return policy excludes iems but when I went in and talked to a sales guy he said I could buy a few and return the ones I didn't want. Might be worth asking them what the deal really is. I ended up only buying one and didn't try to return it.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:
If this helps,  the music I listen to predominantly is Rock. I don't listen to jazz or classical. With that said, I would like it all in term of bass, highs, soundstage, detail. Maybe there isn't an all in one IEM?

Since you mention the W3, what am I giving up over the W4?

Also note that all of my listening is with an Ipod.

Thanks,
Ken

With the W3, you're not exactly giving anything up from the W4, it's a totally different beast. W3 has more highs and lows, and is a V-shaped response, compared to the balanced response of the W4. 

I don't like in the US, so I don't know.

All these IEMs can be powered with just an iPod. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #27 of 51
W4 has a very good balance and soundstaging for me compared to the iems you mentioned.. it has more clarity and transparency too.. when it comes to bass.. it is tamed and polite.. i thought it had more resolution compared to the ex1000.. but at the same time people complain in its lack of bass impact.. but take away bass quantity.. for me the details from lows to highs are there and i would place the w4 on top of them.. it also has more and sweet highs..

but if you really want bass and non-fatiguing sound then ie80.. if you like the intimacy of the 535, then u might as well consider the w4.. it never sounds boring to me but very detailed especially on the mid bass..
u might also want to check the SM3 which had more bass quantity than the w4

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #29 of 51
I think the W3 may be the way to go based on this thread and others I have seen on this forum.
I did see some comments with regards to sibilance with these. Is this really an issue?

Thanks,
Ken

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #30 of 51
check the w3 thread.. to some it maybe an issue.. this is something you also have to pay attention because once u find the sibilance painful on an iem.. you're doomed haha it'll make you skip tracks..
if you happen to do some research, sm3 is a combination of 535 and ie80
no it's not bright like the 535 but has an intimate and liquid detailed mids.. it's not as bassy as the ie80 but has a lot of bass quantity which is also deep and has a huge soundstage and very good isolation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back