Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 15, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #4,921 of 6,065
I recently acquired a KSE1500. I can say that I would prefer (and will be trying different combos) to get a little more volume out of them but assume I'll get there. I'm currently running a WM1A into the Shure amp/dac. While it's "loud enough", it is certainly on the edge of maximum volume. I have the WM1A on high output at volume 98 and the Shure between 17 and 24 (the maximum 25 on the Shure adds a large hiss but a notch down at 24 doesn't). I'll be trying out a mojo and hugo in the chain but would have prefered to get a little high volume using just the Sony. Didn't really answer your question, but that's where I am.
I hope I don’t get any hiss. I want a complete quiet background otherwise they’ll be going back.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #4,922 of 6,065
I’ve finally ordered some KSE1200s. I’ve been talking myself out of them since the original release of the 1500s. One of my biggest worries was I’d heard they don’t go very loud and can distort at higher volumes? Was this ever the case/ is it still the case with the 1200s now the dac is removed? I’ll be running a Mojo with them.

I've been pairing the KSE1200 and Mojo for a while now and never had to go higher than half the volume wheel on the KSE1200 with the Mojo's output level set a little under 3V (line level). And that's with tthe -10 dB pad activated. I do have a tendency to listen at lower volumes but I still feel that you should have quite a margin nonetheless with this pairing.
And no audible hiss for me either, very dark background.:)

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #4,924 of 6,065
I’ve finally ordered some KSE1200s. I’ve been talking myself out of them since the original release of the 1500s. One of my biggest worries was I’d heard they don’t go very loud and can distort at higher volumes? Was this ever the case/ is it still the case with the 1200s now the dac is removed? I’ll be running a Mojo with them.

actually you do have to be careful of the volume of the source you feed into the 1200...it shows you if it is clipping with a flickering light and I have found I have to adjust the volume of my hugo 2 along with the volume on the 1200 itself to get optimal results...that said the 1200 is a marvel....simply fantastic

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #4,925 of 6,065
actually you do have to be careful of the volume of the source you feed into the 1200...it shows you if it is clipping with a flickering light and I have found I have to adjust the volume of my hugo 2 along with the volume on the 1200 itself to get optimal results...that said the 1200 is a marvel....simply fantastic

I too have the hugo 2 with KSE and the detail is incredible.

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #4,926 of 6,065
I hope I don’t get any hiss. I want a complete quiet background otherwise they’ll be going back.

Maybe I wasn't clear, at MAX (level 25 at 25) there is a lot of hiss and I/you wouldn't want to listen at that level. At 1 through 24, there is no hiss and it is fantastic with no hiss.

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #4,927 of 6,065
Just tried a very unexpected combo. Decidedly un-portable. Gobs of volume without clipping. 485B5B94-000B-45A4-ADCC-E0514A37D7CC.jpeg

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #4,930 of 6,065
I never get why people don't get enough volume. I use a tiny A105 Walkman on 100 steps and even for very softly recorded DSD files which I made from vinyl using my Sony turntable I still get plenty of volume on the KSE1200.

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #4,932 of 6,065
My kse1200 has arrived and is charging. I am unable to sit down and have a listen because the entire family is on lockdown. My 3 year old couldn’t possibly let me have 5 minutes peace .I’ve got the long wait until everyone is in bed, so I can have the perfect conditions for that exciting first listen.

One last question hopefully, the chord mojo outputs at 3v in line level mode. Will that result in clipping? I thought line level should be 2v?

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #4,933 of 6,065
My kse1200 has arrived and is charging. I am unable to sit down and have a listen because the entire family is on lockdown. My 3 year old couldn’t possibly let me have 5 minutes peace .I’ve got the long wait until everyone is in bed, so I can have the perfect conditions for that exciting first listen.

One last question hopefully, the chord mojo outputs at 3v in line level mode. Will that result in clipping? I thought line level should be 2v?

Mojo can output 3V for line out but you do not have to use it. Standard line level is 2V but this varies from 2 to 4V even depending on the hardware. There is no industry standard that everyone follows.

On mojo turn to volume up like you would use with regular headphones until red light on the KSE start to show and then turn the volume a tad until you see solid green and no red light. The absolute perfect output for KSE is suppose to be when orange pops but it is very small range and it deviates from one album to another. I just leave it on solid green.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #4,934 of 6,065

Yes, it does clip if the Mojo is set to line level mode (3 V). I usually set the Mojo to line level mode and then decrease the volume on the Mojo until the 'input signal LED' is green and occasionnaly amber - which is usally after 6-8 volume clicks down. All this done with the -10 dB pad switched on.

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #4,935 of 6,065
Thanks everyone. I’m good to get straight into enjoying the music later. The last time I was looking forward to listening to some headphones as much as these was back when I first got my HD800s.
current daily’s are IE800/ HD660s. I’m hoping these will replace both for listening at home and on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back