Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 7, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #4,742 of 6,065
Though SP1k x KSE1500 combo is my favorite SQ wise, this is quite a nice stack.
20191105_194748.jpg

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #4,743 of 6,065
I'm using ak sp1000m + kse 1200 with custom tips and it's amazing for IEM.
Desktop ifi idsd pro +Pathos Aurium + Sony Z1R, ether 1.1 and focal Clear but really often prefer kse above these.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #4,745 of 6,065
I recently had an opportunity to have almost entire range of Empire Ears to compare with my KSE1200.

Legend X
Nemesis
Vantage
Valkyrie
Phantom
EVR
Bravado

I can say that if you're a fan od KSE you can safely skip all of them unless you want something completely opposite.

Thats an interesting and punchy short summary! I was thinking about trying a couple of the new EE ones. I have the KSE1200, which I’m enjoying very much.
When you say “completely opposite”, any extra colour to add?

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #4,746 of 6,065
Thats an interesting and punchy short summary! I was thinking about trying a couple of the new EE ones. I have the KSE1200, which I’m enjoying very much.

Well, to start, five of the seven are V-shaped DD hybrids. Another is the very dark Phantom.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #4,747 of 6,065

Legend X, Vantage and Nemesis are bassy, and I mean really extreme amounts of bass which is not very well controlled. They are full bodied in the midrange with ok quality of highs. Compared to KSE they are veiled and possess almost no air. Where it comes to technicalities like tightness, speed, resolution and how holographic they can be, there is no comparison. KSE are on top.

Phantom are not as bassy but still have quite a punch and are great from bass to lower midrange. Great texture and resolution for male vocals and electric guitars. Higher midrange is subdued and they feel veiled and blunt. Not only compared to KSE but in general. They feel veiled even when compared to Legend X.

Valkyrie still quite bassy but not as much a legend X. Much brighter with more air then all of the above. Bass have soft impact and great mass. Higher midrange and highs feel thinner. Female vocals are good with good chestiness and air but treble can get unpleasent especially with lower quality recordings. These are fun but not all that organic or natural. Funny thing is that their soundstage sometimes feels higher than wider. Never heard that before.

I've heard quite a few TOTL iems already and every time when I compare them to KSE they feel like something is off. KSE are not the most flashy iems but they always feel to me most natural and realistic. In other iems even if something is on par or even marginally better something else is way worse. KSE offer the most complete and coherent package.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #4,749 of 6,065
I was using a Fiio X5iii when I first got my 1200s. Then I switched to a Pioneer XDP-300r. Hmmmm. A month ago I bought a brand new LG V30 for a measly $175 and using UAPP I am quite happy with the sound. Also, the V30 battery life is extraordinary compared to the other devices. I think I may be able to avoid the A&K products. I was always seeing V30 owners crowing about how good it sounds, but at $899 I wasn't interested in finding out. At $175 I couldn't resist. The phone starts fast, works reliably and sounds better than the other two devices to me. Quite happy.

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #4,750 of 6,065
After living with the KSE1200 for about a month, I’m definitely going to keep them and they’ve become my go-to ‘phones. The KSE1200 achieves a transparent, “you are there” kind of sound yet (amazingly) without any harshness or fatigue. I used to consider the Ety ER4S as the ultimate in IEM transparency but it was rather thin sounding and sibilant on close mic’d or poor recordings.

As I’m an unapologetic bass-head, my biggest fear was the stereotypical “well defined but lacking impact” estat low end, but these have the same muscular bass performance as my Shure 846!

I’m using the biflange tips that sit relatively deep in the ear. I tried the Spinfits but they sit a bit shallower and thus causes some sibilance (supposedly due to the additional reflective surface area). The tips and how they sit in your ear really do make a big difference.

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,751 of 6,065
I’m using the biflange tips that sit relatively deep in the ear. I tried the Spinfits but they sit a bit shallower and thus causes some sibilance (supposedly due to the additional reflective surface area). The tips and how they sit in your ear really do make a big difference.

What bi-flange tips? Don't the KSE come with only triple or single flange?

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #4,753 of 6,065
This morning 1200 amp suddenly can not turn on, can not charging.
It's a heart takening moment. I thought I must send it for repair.
Tonight I check a gain. Lucky, there's a tiny hole at the bottom. No text nearby but I know it is reset button.
Press it 3s and try again.
Yeah! Turned on. OK

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,754 of 6,065
This morning 1200 amp suddenly can not turn on, can not charging.
It's a heart takening moment. I thought I must send it for repair.
Tonight I check a gain. Lucky, there's a tiny hole at the bottom. No text nearby but I know it is reset button.
Press it 3s and try again.
Yeah! Turned on. OK

That's good to know. Glad you were able to "fix" it yourself.

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #4,755 of 6,065
It is more frequent than I originally thought. First red it on another forum that the KSA died on him. My KSA1200 amplifier start to behave similarly. Did the reset trick a few times but ultimately died too. I settled for a Kingsound M03 and was quite happy overall. A bit larger than the original Shure amp but found it better sounding on all aspects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back