Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #4,591 of 6,059
I guess you get what you pay for. The new cable stutters to the point of being unusable after two decent listening sessions. Back to moon I go

I've purchased 3 of these cables, one died within weeks, one lasted until Apple updated their protocol (about a year of use), then my latest has gone maybe 1.5 years now and probably a couple hundred connects/disconnects, no issues.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4,592 of 6,059
Hot tip: The Musiland MU2s is only $50 on eBay... on AudioScienceReview it measures quite a bit better than the Mojo (and goes toe-to-toe with several multi-kilobuck DACs), is basically not much bigger than a typical dongle.

I've never heard my KSE1200s sound better. Bonus that It fits nicely in the net of the earphone case and is USB powered (for laptop or Android use only though).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #4,593 of 6,059
Hot tip: The Musiland MU2s is only $50 on eBay... on AudioScienceReview it measures quite a bit better than the Mojo (and goes toe-to-toe with several multi-kilobuck DACs), is basically not much bigger than a typical dongle.

I've never heard my KSE1200s sound better. Bonus that It fits nicely in the net of the earphone case and is USB powered.

Have you compared it to the apple usb c or lighting dongle? It to measures well per ASR and others. For $10 is a relative bargain. I use it when on the go and I don’t want to lug around the polymojo.

That being said, it may measure worse, but the mojo is overall more satisfying to me than any DS DAC. YMMV

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #4,594 of 6,059
Measurements don't translate exactly to what you hear. That said, I'm still intrigued to hear it :)

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #4,595 of 6,059
Have you compared it to the apple usb c or lighting dongle? It to measures well per ASR and others. For $10 is a relative bargain. I use it when on the go and I don’t want to lug around the polymojo.

That being said, it may measure worse, but the mojo is overall more satisfying to me than any DS DAC. YMMV

I haven't had an Apple dongle but this measures quite a bit better. I've had a mojo for a few years and have primarily used it to drive the KSEs. It's a tricky thing to say as far as preference as the Mojo has a filter with a warm tilt. If you for instance prefer the mojo to a Hugo you probably won't like it. This to my ears produces tighter bass w/ better detail retrieval.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #4,596 of 6,059
Me personally, I can’t hear the difference between good chinese dacs from audio science review (with sinad > -96, nice jitter, etc. = good implementation). Listened to hugo, qutest, mojo in silent room. I crap you not, I coudn’t here difference with kse between apple lighning to 3.5 dongle and the hugo.

Settled with apple’s dongle on-the-go with 4-5 clicks below max volume in ios and topping d30 at work. Though I turn on the d30 because of pretence (i.e. for the sake of ceremony), not because I here anything different. Maybe it’s that apple’s dongle is that good or with kse we really just need a good dac and nada of amplifier (as it comes with the package of kse).

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #4,597 of 6,059
Me personally, I can’t hear the difference between good chinese dacs from audio science review (with sinad > -96, nice jitter, etc. = good implementation). Listened to hugo, qutest, mojo in silent room. I **** you not, I coudn’t here difference with kse between apple lighning to 3.5 dongle and the hugo.

Settled with apple’s dongle on-the-go with 4-5 clicks below max volume in ios and topping d30 at work. Though I turn on the d30 because of pretence (i.e. for the sake of ceremony), not because I here anything different. Maybe it’s that apple’s dongle is that good or with kse we really just need a good dac and nada of amplifier (as it comes with the package of kse).

I agree with you on this. I'm sure in a blind listening test, I couldn't pick out the dongle vs. anything else. The biggest thing I notice with the Mojo is lack of fatigue when listening to music through the KSE1200 for longer period of times. Maybe this is due the filter on the Mojo. Bottom line, for $10, the dongle is hard to beat.

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #4,598 of 6,059
Are these iems still a good purchase or would I be better off with fearless Rolando?

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #4,599 of 6,059
Are these iems still a good purchase or would I be better off with fearless Rolando?

I’d say yes to the kse1200. It’s still one of the few portable true electrostat systems on the market. I can’t imagine getting the same coherence from a hybrid iem.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #4,601 of 6,059
Goes for 1200.
It is not only better price but also sq to its brother 1500.
I have both so my listening is actualy using, not short listening session to comparing or review.
If 1200 still remain juice to power on, I will pick it up. Then 1500 in case I have to charge 1200.

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #4,602 of 6,059
Double post

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,603 of 6,059
So I haven't been enjoying my KSE1200 as much lately. Sounds great, but have been feeling like something is off. Been using the tips I've always used with my old SE846 (yellow foamies) without giving it a second thought. Well, I should've thought about it. It's a different sound signature. The yellow foamies worked for the SE846 so well because it tamed the bass and evened out the FR. But that hurts the KSE1200, which could benefit from a tad more bass impact. So I pulled the gray silicones out of the box for kicks and omg, what a difference. I love this. The sound is significantly more engaging and crisper to my ears. I also think these tips push the nozzles further out, improving soundstage a tad.

Moral of the story is the stress of importance to trying different tips out before you settle on one. They can make a critical different. I was seriously considering selling these off but not any more! Going back and re-hearing all my music. :dt880smile:

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,604 of 6,059
Can someone explain the technical differences between the KSE1200 and KSE1500 amplifiers beyond the DAC? I am quite sure that I read a post on Head-Fi outlining the technical change(s). I tried searching Head-Fi and the search function is basically useless. I also emailed Shure and they replied with a generic response saying it was only the DAC. Can someone list the changes?

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #4,605 of 6,059
There is speculation that they sound different. The KSE1500 as far as I know has a very similar amp section (not identical as it has a digitally-controlled analog volume control, perhaps among other changes) and also has a DAC/ADC with equalizer. I used to have the KSE1200 and will have the KSE1500 next week and can give my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back