Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 10, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #4,622 of 6,068
Out of curiosity, who uses their KSE1500 or KSE1200 daily and has logged a lot of hours of use? I would be interested to get some perspective on reliability and wear and tear issues.

I'm 14 months with KSE1200. I use them daily for about 3-4 hours a day. Other than some very minor wear on the plastic bits on amp unit no issues so far. The issue is that there is no real alternative. Other TOTL iems are either something completetely different or can came close to KSE but only in one area. Only KSE offer such a complete sonic package in every aspect.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #4,623 of 6,068
Out of curiosity, who uses their KSE1500 or KSE1200 daily and has logged a lot of hours of use? I would be interested to get some perspective on reliability and wear and tear issues.

1880 hours of use.
All are fine.

Wear off is the leather case. It last less than 2 years if daily hold it on your hand (sweat will kills leather material)

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #4,624 of 6,068
How do you check hours??? :)

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #4,626 of 6,068
Only KSE offer such a complete sonic package in every aspect.

I wouldn't quite say complete but close. Soundstage is where it leaves to be desired. Recently tried an lcd-i4 and remembered how much soundstage means to the experience. Granted, the i4 is an open-back, but I've tried closed-backs with better soundstage and imaging than the KSE.

Sep 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #4,627 of 6,068
hi guys. I just got kse1200 with intention of trying it but end up loving it. Sadly, i dont think i can keep this due to the amp. This is the sound that im finding for an iem these farrrr. A well controlled bass, mids is the center of the game. Actually, this reminds me of er2se that i owned before. Should i buy etys again and return this? im finding a set that has this signature but without the bulky amp. Please, i do really advice now. Do er4se has almost the same technicalities as this? Sure, this iem is basically not for a typical listener but im a hd800 user. This is the iem for hd800 user i guess... So the question is can er4sr has almost what kse has? And the reason i return my er2se is not because of the sound but the fit. That deep insertion bothers me. Is there any tips to get the seal without that three flange?

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #4,628 of 6,068
hi guys. I just got kse1200 with intention of trying it but end up loving it. Sadly, i dont think i can keep this due to the amp. This is the sound that im finding for an iem these farrrr. A well controlled bass, mids is the center of the game. Actually, this reminds me of er2se that i owned before. Should i buy etys again and return this? im finding a set that has this signature but without the bulky amp. Please, i do really advice now. Do er4se has almost the same technicalities as this? Sure, this iem is basically not for a typical listener but im a hd800 user. This is the iem for hd800 user i guess... So the question is can er4sr has almost what kse has? And the reason i return my er2se is not because of the sound but the fit. That deep insertion bothers me. Is there any tips to get the seal without that three flange?

Well, the etys and KSE1200 are completely different beasts. I have the er4xr and the kse1200 clearly is better in every way. Bass impact, soundstage, treble, mids, clarity, coherence. Not even close to me. I can listen to the KSE1200 for much longer periods of time than the etys. No fatigue. I'm more easily immersed in the music. The comfort of the kse1200 is vastly better than the deep insertion etys. The KSE1200 is not as portable as it is transportable. That's my opinion.

However, if you are equally happy with the er2se or er4sr, save yourself a ton of money and return the kse1200. I use the comply tips on both the etys and shures.

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #4,629 of 6,068
I own both the Shure KSE1200 and Etymōtic ER4SR. I believe the ER4SR has more low level detail retrieval, better imaging, and a wider soundstage. However, I find the KSE1200 to be more tonally correct. With regards to ergonomics both have their faults. Although the ER4 has an antiquated design that dates back to the 1990s, it is easy to achieve a good seal/fit. But that advantage is negated by the fact the ER4 cable generates an unacceptable amount of mechanical noise. The KSA1200 amplifier is small but carrying it and maintaining the battery charge across two or three devices isn’t ideal. In the end, I prefer the ER4SR and it is a proven formula that has been loved by many and perfected over 30 years.

While I appreciate the KSE1500/1200’s technology, I feel it has been overhyped and doesn’t reach its summit-fi goal.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #4,630 of 6,068
Well, the etys and KSE1200 are completely different beasts. I have the er4xr and the kse1200 clearly is better in every way. Bass impact, soundstage, treble, mids, clarity, coherence. Not even close to me. I can listen to the KSE1200 for much longer periods of time than the etys. No fatigue. I'm more easily immersed in the music. The comfort of the kse1200 is vastly better than the deep insertion etys. The KSE1200 is not as portable as it is transportable. That's my opinion.

However, if you are equally happy with the er2se or er4sr, save yourself a ton of money and return the kse1200. I use the comply tips on both the etys and shures.
thanks a lot for your reply. This is still my short impression with KSE. I will do more listening by this weekend. Currently im trying to EQ my CL2 to be that signature. I think I almost got it since the planar in CL2 is quite fast tbh. The amp of KSE is really stopping me from owning it :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #4,631 of 6,068
I own both the Shure KSE1200 and Etymōtic ER4SR. I believe the ER4SR has more low level detail retrieval, better imaging, and a wider soundstage. However, I find the KSE1200 to be more tonally correct. With regards to ergonomics both have their faults. Although the ER4 has an antiquated design that dates back to the 1990s, it is easy to achieve a good seal/fit. But that advantage is negated by the fact the ER4 cable generates an unacceptable amount of mechanical noise. The KSA1200 amplifier is small but maintaining the battery charge across twos three devices isn’t ideal. In the end, I prefer the ER4SR and it is a proven formula that has been loved by many and perfected over 20 years.
this sounds promising! Since ieve heard er2se, i can assure that it has the same style of playing the music to you. But im not sure with the timbre/tonality as i had er2se before which is DD. Everyone who is having both saying that er2 has a better timbre but a tad bit less details than er4. So yeah.. will do more some arts with eq now!

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #4,632 of 6,068
this sounds promising! Since ieve heard er2se, i can assure that it has the same style of playing the music to you. But im not sure with the timbre/tonality as i had er2se before which is DD. Everyone who is having both saying that er2 has a better timbre but a tad bit less details than er4. So yeah.. will do more some arts with eq now!
The genre(s) of music you listen to is also important to consider. There are some genres where the KSE1200 and ER4SR may be better suited. Remember, no one can predict how you perceive sound or fully understand your preferences so it’s important to listen to any equipment you are considering before purchasing it.

Sep 11, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #4,633 of 6,068
The genre(s) of music you listen to is also important to consider. There are some genres where the KSE1200 and ER4SR may be better suited. Remember, no one can predict how you perceive sound or fully understand your preferences so it’s important to listen to any equipment you are considering before purchasing it.
Very true but unfortunately i cant demo easily except buying and return if i didnt like it. So far i can replicate the sound of KSE to my CL2. But there is no way for me increase the soundstage of my cl2. CL2 stock sound is so shouty but the driver is capable of doing something with detail retrieval. I mostly listen to female vocal, IU, Taeyeon, etc. Korean vocals basically. Sometimes edm. Sometimes top 40 hits.

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #4,634 of 6,068
I believe the ER4SR has more low level detail retrieval...
What is "low level" detail? I like the Etys too, but I think you need to try some more tip rolling with the KSE.

I think I almost got it since the planar in CL2 is quite fast tbh.

impulse.png

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #4,635 of 6,068
What is "low level" detail? I like the Etys too, but I think you need to try some more tip rolling with the KSE.

Where'd u got the impulse data? I might be looking for more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back