Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
May 1, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #4,487 of 6,068
hi can i ask how can stop draining my phone battery when I use the shure kse1500 with my iphone via usb cable. using the internal dac of the shure kse1500
Use shure provided cable (the one include in sale package).
Notice that charging light on kse doesnt lit in use

May 2, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #4,489 of 6,068
Hi. Does anybody compared KSE vs Solaris? Just interesting)
I have both. Solaris has quite a lot larger soundstage with more headroom and better imaging/more space between instruments. The bass on the Solaris has more rumble being dynamic driver although the amout of bass isn't really THAT much more than than of the KSE's. The KSE is more neutral sounding of the two with better resolution/detail retrieval/transparency and faster transient response. The Solaris has more sparkle in the treble. Fit-wise the KSE1500 is much more comfortable to me than the large and bulky Solaris but it also way way cheaper looking and probably has much worse durability.

May 2, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #4,490 of 6,068
wow really? I put them in a bag with my keys once, maybe thats how they got scratched? Hmmm I see so they are quite strong then.
Thanks.

Why on earth would you put key in the same bag as any that's worth $2k in the first place?

hi can i ask how can stop draining my phone battery when I use the shure kse1500 with my iphone via usb cable. using the internal dac of the shure kse1500

In the menu of the KSE1500 you can disable charging.

May 2, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #4,492 of 6,068
May 3, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #4,495 of 6,068
Why on earth would you put key in the same bag as any that's worth $2k in the first place?
Was passing through airport security and had to put everything down for security, I put them in my bag where i had keys....

May 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #4,496 of 6,068
I have both. Solaris has quite a lot larger soundstage with more headroom and better imaging/more space between instruments. The bass on the Solaris has more rumble being dynamic driver although the amout of bass isn't really THAT much more than than of the KSE's. The KSE is more neutral sounding of the two with better resolution/detail retrieval/transparency and faster transient response. The Solaris has more sparkle in the treble. Fit-wise the KSE1500 is much more comfortable to me than the large and bulky Solaris but it also way way cheaper looking and probably has much worse durability.
Thanx. Very interesting.

May 6, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #4,497 of 6,068
Spent 40 mins demo-ing the KSE1200 today, through my SP1000 SS, listening to Tidal Masters (24/96) and few Tidal HiFi (16/44) and A/B-ing with my current fave IEM pairing of Cosmic Ears CE6P + balanced 8W copper cable.

Quick impressions:
- The amp was smaller than I was expecting - pleasantly surprised.

- Very comfortable, just like the less expensive Shures (I started my head-fi journey with SE535s and I think to this day they were the most comfortable for prolonged listening and sleeping. Unlike, say, the Solaris and their ilk, which I tend to find very uncomfortable fairly quickly, lacking big lugholes as I do). This also means that I have no issues with build quality. The Shures are probably the least attractive housings I’ve owned, but their small and slippery form factor means they travel well and there’s less to damage. They do look cheap though.

- Good isolation from background noise.

- I needed to crank up the volume on the AK DAP very high, even with the KSE amp well above half way. There’s volume to spare in both devices, but I had to be very careful to dial the volume way back down on the SPK before switching back to my other IEMs, otherwise that would’ve been the end of the demo session (and any music listening for rest of the day while my eardrums recovered).

- Sound quality: STUNNING for CERTAIN music. As others have said, there’s not a massive character to them (I.e. they don’t come strongly EQ’d in any given direction except flat); but this means they spit out what’s put in. I like guitar-based music generally (blues, rock, Americana, country, funk etc), and I found that the modern, well-produced albums, without too much heavy guitar, worked the best. Straight up classic / heavy rock music wasn’t better to my ears than the Cosmic Ears - in fact it was slightly less exciting. But acoustic / lighter, carefully produced (not overly compressed) stuff sounded better than I’ve ever heard.

Two examples that jump out were ‘Slow It Down’ by TFDI (acoustic with harmony vox) and John Mayer’s new single, ‘I Guess I Just Feel Like’. Both already sounded great with the existing IEMs but definitely eased up a gear with the KSEs. And I think we’re both just 16/44 HiFi tracks rather than MQA.

The key ingredient for me, by a country mile, was note separation. A number of tracks that I know well - including the two mentioned above - had a whole new level of clarity and, frankly, emotion in them. It wasn’t quite the eureka moment from when you first heard a song on CD that you’re listened to for years on cassette tape (for those old enough to remember), but things were definitely popping out even compared to my other IEMs.

- Soundstage was better than I had feared. I love a wide stage and always listen to the DAPs balanced where possible, and although the single-ended KSE1200s weren’t as wide as that, the soundstage was still wide enough that it didn’t reduce any enjoyment. Still a lot wider than my FiiO X7II balanced (which I recently upgraded from), for example.

- The downside is obviously going back to a stack, not least because the SP1000 SS could already double as a brick in the event of a riot breaking out. Having said that, I spent many happy months with the Onkyo DP-X1 and then FiiO X7ii strapped to an ALO CDM mini tube amp, and the KSE amp is much smaller than the ALO. If I need to go without, i’ll also be very happy with a good set of universals and a balanced cable coming out of the SPK, as I have now.

Outcome: they don’t look great; they’re only single-ended; they could seem a bit overkill - electrostatic or otherwise - for everyday portability; they aren’t for every listening session, or every style of music. But when the stars are aligned, these things sound bloody great. Ordered them for arrival in a week or so, all being well.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #4,500 of 6,068
Don't cheap out on the DAC, you've bought $2K headphones after all. I tried pairing it with a Fiio M6 because the size fit so well with the KSE1200 amp, and although Fiio usually does a great job with their devices, when I switched to the Mojo or Micro iDSD BL it was another level. Noticeably elevated the experience. I paid so much for these headphones, hell if I'm not gonna get my moneys worth out of them. Otherwise I would've just stuck with my SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back