Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 25, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4,471 of 6,059
Man, can't wait to hear some serious impressions/comparisons. What's the source you're going to use? Could you please post a link to your last year comparison? Thanks

Last year I was only auditioning in shop the 64audio altough quite extensively.

Here are my impressions
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-250#post-14301767

LRM_EXPORT_20180613_14103101.jpg

This time I've Mellianus borrowed for 3 weeks, Khan for one week and KSE are my private unit bought a year ago.

I'm still using mostly Sony WM1A. I've tried and reviewed both Chord Mojo and Hugo 2 but overall I still prefer the Sony with KSE. The Mojo is ok but it's not very impressive technically for me, definately below the WM1A and Hugo2 is too clean sounding. The transparency, resolution, soundstage and cripsness when paired with the KSE is mind boggling but it lacks for me the warmth and organic, human touch. Hugo2 is in my opinion perfect for the Sony Z1R's (over ear, not iems) which I also own at the moment but they are way darker and with much more bass which doesn't have perfect control unlike the KSE.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #4,472 of 6,059
I'm still using mostly Sony WM1A. I've tried and reviewed both Chord Mojo and Hugo 2 but overall I still prefer the Sony with KSE. The Mojo is ok but it's not very impressive technically for me, definately below the WM1A and Hugo2 is too clean sounding. The transparency, resolution, soundstage and cripsness when paired with the KSE is mind boggling but it lacks for me the warmth and organic, human touch. Hugo2 is in my opinion perfect for the Sony Z1R's (over ear, not iems) which I also own at the moment but they are way darker and with much more bass which doesn't have perfect control unlike the KSE.

Isn't the non-balanced port of the WM1A inferior to the balanced? This is how its been with the DAPs I've tried.

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #4,473 of 6,059
Isn't the non-balanced port of the WM1A inferior to the balanced? This is how its been with the DAPs I've tried.

That's true. On balanced output there is 4 times the power, slightly better resolution, slightly blacker background, wider soundstage, better dynamics so overall it is more impressive however the tonal balance is basically the same and it's mostly neutral with only small hint of warmth. Unfortunately the KSE1200 have only unbalanced input so there is no way of taking advantage from balanced outputs. Don't get me wrong Hugo2 is in a whole another league than wm1a when it comes to pure sonic performance but for me it's a little to clean for it's own good. It would be perfect with warmer headphones and as a dac connected to warm tube amplifier but with KSE I find it to neutral for my taste. I've not yet tried the wm1z and Cayin N8 which are suppose to be warmer but I suspect I would like them more with the KSE.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #4,474 of 6,059
Guess the bad thing about the KSE is that we're at the mercy of Shure to expand usability (if that's even in the plan for them). They could make separately purchase-able amp modules, such as one that can accept a balanced input so that we can get the most out of our gear. Getting the most out of our audio is of course the whole point behind this IEM :)

A Bluetooth amp module is a no-brainer as well (with aptX HD and LDAC of course).

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,475 of 6,059
Guess the bad thing about the KSE is that we're at the mercy of Shure to expand usability (if that's even in the plan for them). They could make separately purchase-able amp modules, such as one that can accept a balanced input so that we can get the most out of our gear. Getting the most out of our audio is of course the whole point behind this IEM :)

A Bluetooth amp module is a no-brainer as well (with aptX HD and LDAC of course).

If shure give just one of option : bal input or changable the cable, I chose second.
Your idea is mine also : allow user to order separately the amp.
Lost, break,mulfunction of earpiece/amp can happen (I am one of thess cases)

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #4,476 of 6,059
Man, can't wait to hear some serious impressions/comparisons. What's the source you're going to use? Could you please post a link to your last year comparison? Thanks

I just finished demoing a bunch of 64 Audio units. (A6t, N8, a18t, fourte', and trio') Out of all of them I preferred the Trio'. I felt it did everything extremely well. I absolutely loved it's tuning and very wide soundstage. The fourte's' were amazing don't get me wrong, I just didn't think they were that much better, also the highs were a bit more exaggerated or forward on them, the trio's' were a bit smoother. The Trio's' will be my next set of IEMS.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #4,477 of 6,059
Hello guys,

happy owner here. (KSE1200). Probably the best i ve heard for in ear. Just a question though, my pair of shure has some scratches on the casing, though i know they are new since I opened them in store and everything was fine.

For long term owners, are they easily scratchable? I don't remember doing anything extrem to them lol.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #4,478 of 6,059
Hello guys,

happy owner here. (KSE1200). Probably the best i ve heard for in ear. Just a question though, my pair of shure has some scratches on the casing, though i know they are new since I opened them in store and everything was fine.

For long term owners, are they easily scratchable? I don't remember doing anything extrem to them lol.

I have had mine for 6 months and no scratches. I am not the most careful owner but I am not quite sure how they would get scratched. Maybe glasses, long fingernails?

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #4,479 of 6,059
I have had mine for 6 months and no scratches. I am not the most careful owner but I am not quite sure how they would get scratched. Maybe glasses, long fingernails?

wow really? I put them in a bag with my keys once, maybe thats how they got scratched? Hmmm I see so they are quite strong then.

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #4,480 of 6,059
Hello guys,

1. Can u upload a pic here?
2. I have used 3 years w/o scratch until I lost it (1500). Now using new unit (1200)

From my orbservation 2 units, there's a thing you can see it as "scratch".
Upload your unit at macro shot on "scratch" then I can remark if it is the same.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #4,481 of 6,059
1. Can u upload a pic here?
2. I have used 3 years w/o scratch until I lost it (1500). Now using new unit (1200)

From my orbservation 2 units, there's a thing you can see it as "scratch".
Upload your unit at macro shot on "scratch" then I can remark if it is the same.
Hi,

Thanks for your help, this one is the most apparent scracth and it is annoying me lolz. when i opened the earphones in store i didnt check the casings properly, just made sure they were brand new and working.
h7pH1Kx

https://imgur.com/a/h7pH1Kx image link. Not sure why headfi wouldnt allow me to upload my images
IMG_2837.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #4,482 of 6,059
Hi,

Thanks for your help, this one is the most apparent scracth and it is annoying me lolz. when i opened the earphones in store i didnt check the casings properly, just made sure they were brand new and working.
h7pH1Kx

https://imgur.com/a/h7pH1Kx image link. Not sure why headfi wouldnt allow me to upload my images
IMG_2837.jpg
Do you know to upload img diectly by "upload a file" button? Your link has a matter
Screenshot_20190428-212330_Samsung Internet.jpg

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #4,483 of 6,059
Do you know to upload img diectly by "upload a file" button? Your link has a matter
Send you a PM. It seems that I don’t have upload a file functions in general. Might be a bug. U should have the image in your inbox! Thanks a lot for the help!

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #4,484 of 6,059
Send you a PM. It seems that I don’t have upload a file functions in general. Might be a bug. U should have the image in your inbox! Thanks a lot for the help!

You can see #2480 I have asked Shure, they reply in email that it seems their original product

May 1, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #4,485 of 6,059
hi can i ask how can stop draining my phone battery when I use the shure kse1500 with my iphone via usb cable. using the internal dac of the shure kse1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back