Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
May 8, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #4,501 of 6,059
Don't cheap out on the DAC, you've bought $2K headphones after all. I tried pairing it with a Fiio M6 because the size fit so well with the KSE1200 amp, and although Fiio usually does a great job with their devices, when I switched to the Mojo or Micro iDSD BL it was another level. Noticeably elevated the experience. I paid so much for these headphones, hell if I'm not gonna get my moneys worth out of them. Otherwise I would've just stuck with my SE846.
Wondering if an xDSD would do it justice. Size-wise, they're very similar. I have the Micro BL, and I love it if I carry it around the house, one armchair to the next, but to take it out on a walk, not really comfortable. Alternatively, the DAC of my V30 is pretty good, and may just work. I'll have to find a KSE1200 to audition, not easy here in Switzerland...

May 8, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #4,502 of 6,059
Wondering if an xDSD would do it justice. Size-wise, they're very similar. I have the Micro BL, and I love it if I carry it around the house, one armchair to the next, but to take it out on a walk, not really comfortable. Alternatively, the DAC of my V30 is pretty good, and may just work. I'll have to find a KSE1200 to audition, not easy here in Switzerland...

In terms of SINAD (signal over total noise and distortion), your V30 already beats devices such as the DFR, Mojo and iDSD BL. Look for the G7 quad DAC in the following link (G7 shares the exact same ES9218p DAC/amp as the V30 and V40):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814

You won't need a ton of power as a line-in to the KSE unit. Your V30 would be an excellent source. Good choice of phone :)

May 8, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #4,503 of 6,059
In terms of SINAD (signal over total noise and distortion), your V30 already beats devices such as the DFR, Mojo and iDSD BL. Look for the G7 quad DAC in the following link (G7 shares the exact same ES9218p DAC/amp as the V30 and V40):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814

You won't need a ton of power as a line-in to the KSE unit. Your V30 would be an excellent source. Good choice of phone :)

I agree on the DFR but strongly disagree on the Mojo and iDSD BL. And I've had them all, including the LG V30 and G7. The Quad DAC is good but not that good.

May 8, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #4,504 of 6,059

The xDSD is decent. Unfortunately, it just can't hold up with the Mojo. There's something loose/laid-back about it. If it was up to me, I would stick with the Quad DAC - it stands up with low/mid-end DAC/amps.

May 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #4,505 of 6,059
Thank you @csglinux and @joshnor713 , I guess I'll stick to my V30 and apply the savings towards the KSE1200 (although I am still actively considering the Alclair Electro...).

May 8, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #4,506 of 6,059
I agree on the DFR but strongly disagree on the Mojo and iDSD BL. And I've had them all, including the LG V30 and G7. The Quad DAC is good but not that good.
I wouldn't bet anybody's hearing against an APx555. I think what you probably mean is SINAD isn't the most noticeable parameter when it's so good to begin with in most modern devices.

There must be other aspects of the sound you liked with these other devices, e.g. power output and/or a tilt in the FR as a result of non-linear impedance effects. Headroom into power-hungry cans matters, but that's not necessary to drive the KSE. And any changes from a flat FR are just spurious artifacts - and it's going to be a crapshoot as to whether a given individual likes that coloration or not.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #4,507 of 6,059
I've finished both reviews of Oriolus Mellianus and Noble Khan on my site. If anyone is interested here's my view of how they compare to KSE1200.

Oriolus Mellianus are a little brighter with a fairly similar tonal balance, without much emphasis on a particular area but each everything is player in a different way. Bass on the KSE is less expansive, more compact but clearer and more impactful. The midrange is neutral in both in less, the KSE less emphasies the vocals so that seem to better blended into the rest of the recording but this does not mean that they are any less clear. Treble on the KSE has less quantity, but reaches far further at the same time is more clear and cleaner. KSE give sound closer and more directly with more physical weight, although Mellianus have thicker edges. Shure's can be both more delicate and more predatory depending on the recording.

Compared to Noble Khan, the KSE have more even tonal balance and have more weight especially in the midrange. They have also less emphesized treble which are also cleaner and more efortless. Shure's have more bass which is slightly stiffer and faster with but the Khans seem more natural. i find their bass perfect. Shure's have more even midrange, more close, with more natural shape and proper mass where Khan is leaner over there. KSE have higher scale dynamics - the difference between quiet and louder sounds is more pronounced. Overall Khan have more predatory feel to them but KSE doesn't sound no less intense and feels more sublime.

May 11, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #4,508 of 6,059
Lol, good point. I guess it's that the Mojo and iFi have pretty good amps already. I use my KSE1200 for my LG G7 and AK SP1k and it sounds great. With my older Mojo and my iFi micro BL, I never thought to use the KSE1200 with them plus it looks to be a bit unwieldy: portable source to Mojo/iFi to KSE.
Nothing wrong with that (says he who uses KSE1200 with Mojo/Poly for my daily commute)

Great combination too

May 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #4,509 of 6,059
Guess the bad thing about the KSE is that we're at the mercy of Shure to expand usability (if that's even in the plan for them). They could make separately purchase-able amp modules, such as one that can accept a balanced input so that we can get the most out of our gear. Getting the most out of our audio is of course the whole point behind this IEM :)

A Bluetooth amp module is a no-brainer as well (with aptX HD and LDAC of course).
I like the way you are thinking
:nerd:

How about one amp module that has Balanced AND Bluetooth (aptX HD and LDAC )

May 11, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #4,510 of 6,059
Spent 40 mins demo-ing the KSE1200 today, through my SP1000 SS, listening to Tidal Masters (24/96) and few Tidal HiFi (16/44) and A/B-ing with my current fave IEM pairing of Cosmic Ears CE6P + balanced 8W copper cable.

Quick impressions:
- The amp was smaller than I was expecting - pleasantly surprised.

- Very comfortable, just like the less expensive Shures (I started my head-fi journey with SE535s and I think to this day they were the most comfortable for prolonged listening and sleeping. Unlike, say, the Solaris and their milk, which I tend to find very uncomfortable fairly quickly, lacking big lugholes as I do). This also means that I have no issues with build quality. The Shures are probably the least attractive housings I’ve owned, but their small and slippery form factor means they travel well and there’s less to damage. They do look cheap though.

- Good isolation from background noise.

- I needed to crank up the volume on the AK DAP very high, even with the KSE amp well above half way. There’s volume to spare in both devices, but I had to be very careful to dial the volume way back down on the SPK before switching back to my other IEMs, otherwise that would’ve been they end of the demo session (and any music listening for rest of the day while my eardrums recovered).

- Sound quality: STUNNING for CERTAIN music. As others have said, there’s not a massive character to them (I.e. they don’t come strongly EQ’d in any given direction except flat); but this means they spit out what’s put in. I like guitar-based music generally (blues, rock, Americana, country, funk etc), and I found that the modern better produced albums, without too much heavy guitar, worked the best. Straight up classic / heavy rock music wasn’t better to my ears than the Cosmic Ears, in fact slightly less exciting. But acoustic / lighter, carefully produced (not overly compressed) stuff sounded better than I’ve ever heard.

Two examples that jump out were ‘Slow It Down’ by TFDI (acoustic with harmony vox) and John Mayer’s new single, ‘I Guess I Just Feel Like’. Both already sounded great with the existing IEMs but definitely eased up a gear with the KSEs.

The key ingredient for me, by a country mile, was note separation. A number of tracks that I know well - including the two mentioned above - had a whole new level of clarity and emotion in them.

- Soundstage was better than I had feared. I love a wide stage and always listen to the SPK balanced, and although the single-ended KSE1200s weren’t as wide as that, the soundstage was still wide enough that it didn’t reduce any enjoyment. Still a lot wider than my FiiO X7II balanced (which I recently upgraded from), for example.

- Downside is obviously going back to a stack. Having said that, I spent many happy months with the FiiO strapped to an ALO CDM, and the KSE amp is much smaller. If I need to go without, i’ll be happy with a good set of universals and a balanced cable coming out of the SPK, as I have now.

Outcome: they don’t look great; they’re only single-ended; they could seem a bit overkill - electrostatic or otherwise - for everyday portability; they aren’t for every listening session, or every style of music. But when the stars are aligned, these things sound bloody great. Ordered them for arrival in a week or so, all being well.

Great choice, although not for everyone I do have this as my 'commute rig'. It fits comfortable in my jacket pocket strapped to my Mojo/Poly. Isolation is great especially for the noisy underground tube trains allowing me to isolate the Rat Race around me with me as the solo guest at the musical events being fed to my ears.

Hope you enjoy

May 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #4,511 of 6,059
Do you have any recommendations on any case to use for KSE1200 AMP? Can't seem to find anything relevant.

May 12, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #4,512 of 6,059
The micro-lightning cable seems to last around a year under use. I just had to get a new one from @MoonAudio, and though $30 plus $8 shipping for a 7g cable seems excessive, for a $3,000 unit, $40/year in upkeep is at any rate proportional.

Is there another place to get the cables? I couldn't find them from Shure itself.

Listening to the Solti Walkure via my iPhone and the internal dac. Has anyone ever had the "shoot this sound into my veins" feeling?

EDIT: Updated my review title.

Should consider retitling it "is that a flip phone?" after a remark one of my students just made.

Just tried the triple flange, and they are just as schiity as the last time I tried them. They go so far in that I get scared for my aural safety.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back