Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Feb 7, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #2,761 of 6,065
A bad thing of mojo is not ability working as stand alone dac. I do hate the 2 amp section stacking (one of mojo one of ksa)

The Mojo has no amp section. http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1830#post_10459450 just like the Hugo, the headphone is driven directly the DAC, and the headphone out can be set to line out level at 3VRMs. I actually don't do that with the KSE as it creates some clipping for some reason.

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #2,763 of 6,065
In order to avoid clipping just change the Input Pad (in the Audio submenu) setting on your KSE1500 to -20dB and then use your volume control instead. No more clipping and a better dynamic range.
Cool thanks. Even though I don't really use the Mojo as a source much. I often use the KSE1500 as a USB DAC, and otherwise often use the LPG line out.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,764 of 6,065
I've got a question.... for those of you with a KSE1500, is that your primary listening device at home? Or is there a headphone that you'd actually rather listen to when at home?

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,766 of 6,065
  I've got a question.... for those of you with a KSE1500, is that your primary listening device at home? Or is there a headphone that you'd actually rather listen to when at home?

KSE1500 stays at the office, I have too much going on at home to really listen at ease. I don't have home rigs, just DAPs and iems. To answer, it is indeed my highest performer more or less.

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #2,767 of 6,065

I listen solely to my KSE. I listen when I get up in the morning then I take it to work and back home. I need something portable as I am constantly between two homes.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,768 of 6,065
I listen solely to my KSE. I listen when I get up in the morning then I take it to work and back home. I need something portable as I am constantly between two homes.

Same here. I bring set of ak120ii + kse to every where not only home or office. Trying to made my Dv336se drive Hd650 correct way by changing tube and cable but that it is a long long... progress.
So stick to kse every seconds!

P.S I wish Santa brings me this gift this year xmas hahahaha

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,769 of 6,065
Does your kse stock charger voltage leak?
Mine, leak some value about 1Volt (Measured but I forgot exact value) and it make a tiny flash when usb terminal contact a metal surface that grounded.
That flash I saw by a chance at night so I measure leaking of charger.
As a result when charging AK dap, AK send a noise like 50hz and its multiple of 50 freqs to my headphone.
When holding tight the hp cable that noise is very clear!
I test same way but using Lenovo tab's charge that I confirm no leak, no noise generated.

I wonder is that phenon makes any risk to kse ? Did you test yours?

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,770 of 6,065
Mm..easy answer: Utopia or STax 009 for home listening. As good as the KSE 1500 is, it is still light years behind those two.

Fair enough, I guess my question should have been whether there's any headphones under $3000 that are worthwhile for home listening, if you already have a KSE1500. 
wink.gif

I'm trying to decide whether the KSE should be my personal endgame for all listening scenarios, or just my endgame IEM. But given how much they've impressed me over the past week that I've had them, I don't think I need to be shopping for headphones for the time being.

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,771 of 6,065
Mm..lots of under 3k top-shelf headphones out there......including the excellent HD800S (which I favor over the 800) now selling at a very attractive price (relative to the Focal Utopia), the Beyerdynamic T1.2 (which I favor over the T1), Oppo PM1, the underrated but very good Oppo Audio Zenith PMx2, Grado PS1000e, The Ethers, Hifiman HE 1000 etc. If you want, get the hottest closed back right now, the excellent Sony Z1R (just over usd2K), which I love. They all sell under 3k usd. Which to choose? That depends on your preference. Expand your personal audio universe with TOTL or top-shelf headphones.

I do listen to the KSE 1500 at home but headphones are indispensable for total enjoyment of this hobby.

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #2,772 of 6,065
Received my KSE1500 yesterday and loved the sound from the built-in DAC. However the line-in seems very sensitive and picks up a lot of static from my Mojo and Hugo. Tried the tips from Jude posted on the same thread and it works but any other tips that I should be aware of?

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,773 of 6,065
Received my KSE1500 yesterday and loved the sound from the built-in DAC. However the line-in seems very sensitive and picks up a lot of static from my Mojo and Hugo. Tried the tips from Jude posted on the same thread and it works but any other tips that I should be aware of?

What are you using at your DAP? Neither the Hugo nor the Mojo is galvanically isolated so if you have wifi or cellular turned on your DAP you will pick up radio frequency interference through the 3.5mm line in on the KSE.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2,774 of 6,065

This is my best setup using hugo, best dynamic n prat.. Kseamp inputpad: 0db, move two colour up from green(default colour after turn on).. share your impression if you like it..

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #2,775 of 6,065

Are you sure it's static and not that the source is overly hot (powerful)? With my Hugo I select -10db input (forget the exact term), or else I get noise in the IEM. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back