Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Feb 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,776 of 6,081
I tired the above recommendations and they all worked. Yesterday I hooked up my QP1R line out to the KSE1500 and there was no static at all. It's a surprise to me since my QP1R has a slight back ground hiss but with the KSE1500, there was no hiss at all (input -10db). The tips worked! With the mojo, I have to turn down from max volume to avoid the static.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,777 of 6,081
I've concluded that the Westone star tips are super comfortable, but not sufficiently isolating. I'm now trying to decide between the Comply P-series and the Westone True-Fit foam tips, both of which provide good isolation. I think the Comply tips might be a touch more comfy, though I think I prefer the sound of the Westones. 

I've been walking around with my KSE1500 over the past week, and have been pleased to discover that it's not too inconvenient for walking around. The key is to have the KSE amp in one pocket and the audio source in another pocket, with a crossover cable going across my waist... because the full stack is just a little too bulky for a single pocket (I'm using an AK120II). 

I do find it a little surreal to have such amazing sound going through my ears while walking down the street.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2,778 of 6,081
I've concluded that the Westone star tips are super comfortable, but not sufficiently isolating. I'm now trying to decide between the Comply P-series and the Westone True-Fit foam tips, both of which provide good isolation. I think the Comply tips might be a touch more comfy, though I think I prefer the sound of the Westones. 

I've been walking around with my KSE1500 over the past week, and have been pleased to discover that it's not too inconvenient for walking around. The key is to have the KSE amp in one pocket and the audio source in another pocket, with a crossover cable going across my waist... because the full stack is just a little too bulky for a single pocket (I'm using an AK120II). 

I do find it a little surreal to have such amazing sound going through my ears while walking down the street.

Wow your rig like as mine ak120ii drive kse.
Do you think it was a mistake bought ak120ii not an ak320?
I do pitty for it. The price is quite similar in my location.
Btw i try both way carrying ak and kse then I prefer to keep both in a pocket. I use short interconnect.
I wish next gen of kse will own a good enough dac that fit to kse capability then any smartphone can digitally connect to kse's amp.
Now one case for kse, one ksa amp, one ak, and one samsung phone

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2,779 of 6,081
Yeah I agree, I do hope they offer a better DAC/amp for the KSE in the future.

I haven't heard the AK320 so I can't tell you if it was a mistake to get the AK120II. But personally I'm very happy with my AK120II, I have no complaints at all with the sound.

Although maybe I just don't know what I'm missing! 

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #2,781 of 6,081
That's very interesting, I wasn't previously familiar with the XB10. But I'm an iPhone user and it seems like the iPhone doesn't currently support Apt-X HD, so I'm assuming the sound quality would suffer.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,782 of 6,081
Just pulled my KSE1500's out of storage to mess with Tidal Masters. 

Why does it only say 48KHZ in the Sample Rate? I get much higher from my iPhone! 

Do I have to buy a Chord Mojo or something to get this sounding right? The Meridian Explorer 2 is also line-in only, not a USB DAC. 

Ideas?! 

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,784 of 6,081

Why does it only say 48KHZ in the Sample Rate? I get much higher from my iPhone! 

Do I have to buy a Chord Mojo or something to get this sounding right? The Meridian Explorer 2 is also line-in only, not a USB DAC. 

Ideas?! 

My understanding (which is very little and at an extremely high level) is that Masters (with MQA)  doesn't give you a higher sample rate, it just presents a technologically different way to resample the tracks at the same sample rate.  Somebody correct me if I'm way off base.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,785 of 6,081
Kenneth

The highest sampling rate is 96kHz. See page 10 of the User Guide (English). 

Extract from the User Guide

KSA1500 Amplifier Specifications
Bit Depth
16-bit / 24-bit
Sampling Rate
44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 kHz 

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,786 of 6,081

Ideas?! 

Kenneth

The highest sampling rate is 96kHz. See page 10 of the User Guide (English). 

Extract from the User Guide

KSA1500 Amplifier Specifications
Bit Depth
16-bit / 24-bit
Sampling Rate
44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 kHz 

KSE has that capability, Tidal does not..

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,789 of 6,081
Great pairing with DX200 (Mango dedicated player mode) line-out to KSE1500! Enjoy the synergy and the DX200 had such low hiss that connecting to the KSE1500 without any -10db or -20db input adjustment worked great resulting in no static noise at all! 

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #2,790 of 6,081
Great pairing with DX200 (Mango dedicated player mode) line-out to KSE1500! Enjoy the synergy and the DX200 had such low hiss that connecting to the KSE1500 without any -10db or -20db input adjustment worked great resulting in no static noise at all! 

Oh man, that's exactly what I wanna do with my DX200 too as my NW-WM1Z doesn't have a line out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back