Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
May 17, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,222 of 6,068
thanks, -10 seems to be the sweet spot with LO from 380.

Well I used another set-up with my friend's AK380 & KSE1500:    

- input pad 0 on the KSE1500 and volume set at 100%
- using only HUGO's volume knob to set-up the final volume.

May 17, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #2,224 of 6,068
Quote:
so you are running 380 to Hugo to KSE?

Yes this is how my Friend uses his KSE1500.  The HUGO in between definitively improves SQ versus AK380 direct to KSE1500.

May 17, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,225 of 6,068
My intention of this post is not to criticize a particular product.

I would caution against using any DAP like the AK380 with the amplifier module which requires you to engage the input pad on the KSE1500 to lower the decibel level for the avoidance of clipping. I boosted my Chord Mojo to line level and engaged the input pad to -10dB just to test the sound. While I found the sound stage did improve the price was a material loss in clarity and transient response (attack). I do know engaging the input pad does not send the sound through the KSE's DAC but it may require some digital processing to lower the decibel level. I leave the engineering to more qualified people.

Thankfully, I can utilizing the Mojo without using the input pad. I have the Mojo set at aquamarine to light blue and the KSE1500 at 0dB on the input pad with the volume at 11-13.

I am not advocating Chord products, only cautioning prospective purchasers of the KSE1500 that it is very source dependant system.

Sorry for the edit but my friend MCoupe called me to help clarify my post.

May 17, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #2,226 of 6,068
...I do know engaging the input pad does not send the sound through the KSE's DAC but it may require some digital processing to lower the decibel level...

The input pad is analog, and (itself) requires no digital processing. Here's a breakdown of the signal path scenarios:

1. Analog line-in, BYPASS EQ (with or without input pad applied) = the path is analog from input to earphones.
  2. Analog line-in, EQ engaged (with or without input pad applied) = the path is analog-->ADC-->EQ-->DAC--->output stage-->earphones.
  3. USB-in (EQ engaged or disengaged, with or without input pad applied) = DAC-->output stage-->earphones.

I've not noticed any drop in clarity from the use of the input pad (not said to dispute your findings, only as a statement of my own experience(s) with the KSE1500).

May 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,227 of 6,068
The input pad is analog, and (itself) requires no digital processing. Here's a breakdown of the signal path scenarios:

[COLOR=222222]
  • Analog line-in, BYPASS EQ (with or without input pad applied) = the path is analog from input to earphones.
  • Analog line-in, EQ engaged (with or without input pad applied) = the path is analog-->ADC-->EQ-->DAC--->output stage-->earphones.
  • USB-in (EQ engaged or disengaged, with or without input pad applied) = DAC-->output stage-->earphones.
[/COLOR]
I've not noticed any drop in clarity from the use of the input pad (not said to dispute your findings, only as a statement of my own experience(s) with the KSE1500).

Thanks Jude I stand corrected.

May 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,228 of 6,068

[COLOR=222222]
  • Analog line-in, BYPASS EQ (with or without input pad applied) = the path is analog from input to earphones.
  • Analog line-in, EQ engaged (with or without input pad applied) = the path is analog-->ADC-->EQ-->DAC--->output stage-->earphones.
  • USB-in (EQ engaged or disengaged, with or without input pad applied) = DAC-->output stage-->earphones.
[/COLOR]

Jude,

Apologies but I have a follow up question. How does the KSE limit the decibel level on a purely analog basis. Does the signal with the input pad engaged travel a different path from input to output through the KSE than if the input pad is not engaged?

Thanks

May 17, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #2,230 of 6,068
Weird...wonder if that's accurate....over 10ms+ decay in the lower midrange and below? Maybe I don't know how to read graphs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back