Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,086 of 6,073
I like the amp sound of my 901s why would I want to add another amp sound to it. This does not make sense. Why can't Shure just give us the voltage to work the stat, but let one use their own amp with it. I don't want an extra amp and dac. I'm wondering if they will come out with one like this?

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #2,088 of 6,073
Well anything that changes the voltage and amplifies it is a Amp. Technically you cant decouple it unless you design a amp for a stat since they use like 200v. Its not so much choice of weather shures can release the voltage figures, but more on any other makers will want to make a amp module or dap for a earphone that only shures sell. It doesnt use the standard stax connectors so the chance of any maker adopting it is rather low.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #2,089 of 6,073
I like the amp sound of my 901s why would I want to add another amp sound to it. This does not make sense. Why can't Shure just give us the voltage to work the stat, but let one use their own amp with it. I don't want an extra amp and dac. I'm wondering if they will come out with one like this?

I am confused. The KSEs require a 200v bias to function and that is amplification. The only weakness, if you can call it that, of the KSE system is a lot of us have a preference for a specific DAC in my case the Chord Mojo. Your 901s only have at best 1.5% of the voltage to power the KSE earphones so of course you have to use the Shure amplifier.

p.s. I am not an electrical engineer but I am pretty certain if you pumped 100 times the voltage into the HM-901 it would immediately fry the 901s amp.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2,090 of 6,073
I am confused. The KSEs require a 200v bias to function and that is amplification. The only weakness, if you can call it that, of the KSE system is a lot of us have a preference for a specific DAC in my case the Chord Mojo. Your 901s only have at best 1.5% of the voltage to power the KSE earphones so of course you have to use the Shure amplifier.

p.s. I am not an electrical engineer but I am pretty certain if you pumped 100 times the voltage into the HM-901 it would immediately fry the 901s amp.

My confusion on all of this is whether the cleanest usage of the KSE 1500 is Cell Phone with Micro USB out ----> KSE 1500 or AK120II Line Out ----> KSE 1500. 

I want to get the thinnest, but best companion DAP possible to use with KSE 1500 as I want to reduce the bulk as much as possible.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,091 of 6,073
My confusion on all of this is whether the cleanest usage of the KSE 1500 is Cell Phone with Micro USB out ----> KSE 1500 or AK120II Line Out ----> KSE 1500. 

I want to get the thinnest, but best companion DAP possible to use with KSE 1500 as I want to reduce the bulk as much as possible.

Reducing the size is a sentiment upon which I agree.

Whether to use a smartphone versus the AK100II is just a question of which DAC you prefer. With either device you can utilize the USB input on the KSE1500 and therefore use the KSE's built in DAC or bypass the KSE DAC and use an analog line into the KSE.

At home and in the office, I use an iPod Touch to Chord Mojo analog line in bypassing the KSE DAC. On a plane I often just use my iPod Touch digitally into the KSE as the KSE is MFI certified and the included lightning to micro USB makes for an extremely low profile rig. Also, I know this is heresy to some here but on certain albums I prefer the KSE DAC to the Mojo as the combination of the KSE and Mojo is very unforgiving on poorly mastered albums.

You have a plethora of choices for example I know of people here who use the AK380, AK240 or the Sony ZX2 to name three, all analog line in.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,092 of 6,073
Reducing the size is a sentiment upon which I agree.

Whether to use a smartphone versus the AK100II is just a question of which DAC you prefer. With either device you can utilize the USB input on the KSE1500 and therefore use the KSE's built in DAC or bypass the KSE DAC and use an analog line into the KSE.

At home and in the office, I use an iPod Touch to Chord Mojo analog line in bypassing the KSE DAC. On a plane I often just use my iPod Touch digitally into the KSE as the KSE is MFI certified and the included lightning to micro USB makes for an extremely low profile rig. Also, I know this is heresy to some here but on certain albums I prefer the KSE DAC to the Mojo as the combination of the KSE and Mojo is very unforgiving on poorly mastered albums.

You have a plethora of choices for example I know of people here who use the AK380, AK240 or the Sony ZX2 to name three, all analog line in.

I couldn't get the AK120ii to work with just Micro USB out to the KSE1500. I was looking hard at the AK Jr, as I love the size, although it was a bit sluggish, but I think I would have to use the Line Out / Headphone jack on the AK Jr as well.

Stupid question, but all the sounds of the smartphone are output through to the KSE1500 when using the MicroUSB, does that mean the DAC in the KSE1500 is decoding all smartphone sounds? I believe it to be the case, I don't think there is any harm in it, I guess something about notifications interfering with music playing bugs / surprises me. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #2,095 of 6,073
Just trying to see if anyone out there has tried an alo reference 8 mini to mini with the kse?

I use the Alo reference 8 mini to mini when pairing the Mojo and the KSE. I've also used it when pairing the Aune M2 pro to the KSE. I have no complaints with the interconnect. I guess the only downside is that you can't use it with the line out of the QP1R because of the fit.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2,096 of 6,073
Hey klove - have you a/b'd it with a straight silver cable or done a side to side with the stock cord that came with the kse? Just trying to get an idea of it's sound sig

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,097 of 6,073
The ZX2 has a great synergy with the KSE1500 plus also makes a neat stack.  I posted these pics on the ZX2 thread but have not seen much mention of this pairing here so I thought I would post a picture.  I also have a Mojo I can slap in the middle when I get the urge.  I purchased an extra case from Amazon for the KSE so I could keep one perfectly stock without the exacto blade removal of the strap.  This mod makes pairing the 2 devices much easier and tidier without a rubber band.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,098 of 6,073
  The ZX2 has a great synergy with the KSE1500 plus also makes a neat stack.  I posted these pics on the ZX2 thread but have not seen much mention of this pairing here so I thought I would post a picture.  I also have a Mojo I can slap in the middle when I get the urge.  I purchased an extra case from Amazon for the KSE so I could keep one perfectly stock without the exacto blade removal of the strap.  This mod makes pairing the 2 devices much easier and tidier without a rubber band.

You're not considering using a WM-port line out into the KSE1500? Then you won't need to double-amp.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,099 of 6,073
The silver litz stereo output was free from a freind (spook). 

I have the cable on order.  I plan to A/B it.  If it does not sound better, I won't use it because the cable makes the stack bigger since the Sony cable is not right-angled.

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #2,100 of 6,073
You're not considering using a WM-port line out into the KSE1500? Then you won't need to double-amp.

I'm using the Sony LO cable for this combo. In a quick AB it was a bit better than the headphone out at the expense of a bit of bulk. Nice thing is that the KSE doesn't require any input pad as the Sony line out signal is fairly low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back