Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,071 of 6,085
  Is there a way to fix that (amp, software, etc)? Perhaps, SPL Phonitor?

No way to fix it. Its a inherent problem with IEM. Maybe using the best dac can yield you a little more (Like a DAVE) but thats about it

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #2,073 of 6,085
I found the greatest controlling factor on soundstage is the album mastering. I have bought remasters solely because of the expanded soundstage.

Some bands realize the initial release was poorly mastered. For example, ANEKDOTEN, a fabulous Swedish prog band released 'A Time of Day' in 2007 and in 2012 remastered the album and the soundstage easily doubled.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,074 of 6,085
I've been listening to the KSE1500 more and it's made me think about redefining my thoughts on some of my thoughts and terminology I've used a little.

[Bear in mind all the comments are with respect to the KSE1500 in the realms of IEMs, not comparing it against headphones]

Some of the posts early in this thread commented the KSE1500 had a rather small soundstage compared to other IEMs but I actually think it creates quite a decently large virtual space in terms of soundstage. The one thing I can think of why some folks feel the KSE1500 has a small soundstage is due to the overwhelming amount of detail and clarity the KSE1500 produces that it feels like it's "crowding" the space; whereas the other IEMs haven't that detail retrieval filling that cavity.

The KSE1500 is just so transparent and clear that one hears -everything- and for complicated piece of music with lots of fast moving transitions of tones, instruments, vocals, etc. In fact instrument separation on the KSE1500 is ridiculously unbelievable in comparison to all the other IEMs I've heard.

One other aspect about the KSE1500 that's further helped exemplify the difference between clarity and revealing. The KSE1500 to me is very clear and extremely transparent as opposed to just being glaringly revealing.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #2,075 of 6,085
I agree really. Infact the kse1500 is my benchmark for clarity, transparency, accuracy and transient when I test everything else including headphones.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,077 of 6,085
In imaging technology it's easy to apply sharpening to a picture to make it appear sharper than it really is. But once you know how to spot it you realize that it's just white outlines around dark objects and dark outlines around white objects. It's a false contour that's exciting to the uninitiated but cheap looking to more sophisticated viewers.
I think that recorded music has a similar kind of fake enhancement that is sometimes applied to the master, and sometimes applied by the gear. It's harder to zoom in and spot the trick. But artificial 'clarity' certainly exists in music recording and playback.  
I believe the KSE is free of that kind of artificial enhancement, so it sometime doesn't sound as exciting to some in comparison to lesser systems. But I think they sound terrific. I find them extremely clear, without sounding enhanced. Amazing for transcribing because they ruthlessly reveal the music as played. 

Quote:
  I've been listening to the KSE1500 more and it's made me think about redefining my thoughts on some of my thoughts and terminology I've used a little.

[Bear in mind all the comments are with respect to the KSE1500 in the realms of IEMs, not comparing it against headphones]

Some of the posts early in this thread commented the KSE1500 had a rather small soundstage compared to other IEMs but I actually think it creates quite a decently large virtual space in terms of soundstage. The one thing I can think of why some folks feel the KSE1500 has a small soundstage is due to the overwhelming amount of detail and clarity the KSE1500 produces that it feels like it's "crowding" the space; whereas the other IEMs haven't that detail retrieval filling that cavity.

The KSE1500 is just so transparent and clear that one hears -everything- and for complicated piece of music with lots of fast moving transitions of tones, instruments, vocals, etc. In fact instrument separation on the KSE1500 is ridiculously unbelievable in comparison to all the other IEMs I've heard.

One other aspect about the KSE1500 that's further helped exemplify the difference between clarity and revealing. The KSE1500 to me is very clear and extremely transparent as opposed to just being glaringly revealing.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2,078 of 6,085
  mmm......the problem with that is the Shure carrying case. It is much too small for the KSE earphone. That's why I never use it and prefer a larger case to make sure that the cable don't get stressed while in storage. I hope Shure adopts what others are using as standard protection: a Pelican case or similar. Hello, it is a 3 thousand bucks in-ear. Give us a freakin' Pelican.

Yep.  I retired my stock case the day it arrived.  Pelican all the way.

Which Pelican case do you guys use?

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #2,079 of 6,085
I am using the bigger one pelican 1060.  However, it holds my Sony ZX2, Chord Mojo, Shure KSE Amp, KSE1500s and the cables.  Just make sure you put a desiccant pack inside to keep it nice and dry.  If I did not carry the mojo, I could get by with the next size or 2 down probably.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #2,080 of 6,085
Is this the same amp used in the kse setup?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016X5TC5Y/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_267_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31qDXwXHkaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=1K5CQ2EN2GQ6SFT977PK

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #2,085 of 6,085
If one uses line out of your dap are you going through two amps the dap plus the headphone?

Yes you are unless you are doing direct line out from a DAC.

That said most amps issue is the loading but connected to a line in port which have very high resistance and low current draw, it should exhibit its best performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back