Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #691 of 6,065
Nope. Only makes them worse as does stacking like Mark did. In fact, screwing them into frames is a disaster. The ribbons were there to tweak and compensate for the stacking. I'm 60 and have actually played with all this stuff. Owned all of the above including Decca ribbons etc. When setup correctly 57s are relatively linear from 45 to 19K and need no reinforcement in that range. Here's one measured (with some reflections and closer than optimal rear boundary. Quads also have some of the best highs and bass character as well. Nothing does string bass as well. 

The thing about ribbons is that they are more robust and have greater dispersion due to their smaller diaphragm. The Decca is still a great example.
smile.gif

Dynamics may sound better with more bandwidth simply because their in band ballistics become better but that's not the case here or with amps under proper conditions.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #692 of 6,065
  Nope. Only makes them worse as does stacking like Mark did. In fact, screwing them into frames is a disaster. The ribbons were there to tweak and compensate for the stacking. I'm 60 and have actually played with all this stuff. Owned all of the above including Decca ribbons etc. When setup correctly 57s are relatively linear from 45 to 19K and need no reinforcement in that range. Here's one measured (with some reflections and closer than optimal rear boundary. Quads also have some of the best highs and bass character as well. Nothing does string bass as well. 

The thing about ribbons is that they are more robust and have greater dispersion due to their smaller diaphragm. The Decca is still a great example.
smile.gif

Dynamics may sound better with more bandwidth simply because their in band ballistics become better but that's not the case here or with amps under proper conditions.

Great for you to have the first hand experience ! 

The problem with 57s in the treble is the impulse response - they ring around 16 kHz - badly so. Back in mid/late 70s, German Stereoplay did test 57s, Beveridge 2SW, Acoustat ( either X or Monitor ), all electrostatics, among other top contenders. It is perhaps the best objective report ever made and published on these speakers. The 57s are truly phenomenal in the midrange, from every point of view. Only Beveridge is in the same class - but capable of extending that lower ad higher up in frequency - at a cost. I have been, unfortunately, able to hear the Beveridge 2SW back in 1979 - and am haunted by its sound ever since. It's unlike anything else, when it comes to natural  sound - and has breathtakingly real dynamics within its SPL envelope. If I were ever given a chance to select a desert island loudspeaker, it would have been Bev ( and service support good enough to see me trough for the rest of my days ).

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #693 of 6,065
Know them and a half dozen others 1st hand. beside listening to them, I've been inside a few different Beveridges that needed repair. Sonically, not into 6 foot guitars but they are really neat on orchestral as are Soundlabs. Audiostatics aren't bad either depending on model. Quads, including the new 2812 get me closer to what was recorded. All quads since the 63 have electrical roll off built into them before the transformers to sound accurate/natural in room. Has to do with how they propagate sound and not getting as much acoustic roll as other designs.

If the top was that bad on 57s, it would show here and I never said they were perfect, just that they had enough top. They do like to make some amps ring. Later units with blue crossover caps got quieter as well so there may something to your comment but it depends on what was tested and in what condition. They have much more lateral highs dispersion than given credit for with a 1.5" wide tweeter and get used best somewhat off that axis with your ear effectively towards the inside top of the device. 

Can't wait to hear the Shure.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #694 of 6,065
  Know them and a half dozen others 1st hand. beside listening to them, I've been inside a few different Beveridges that needed repair. Sonically, not into 6 foot guitars but they are really neat on orchestral as are Soundlabs. Audiostatics aren't bad either depending on model. Quads, including the new 2812 get me closer to what was recorded. All quads since the 63 have electrical roll off built into them before the transformers to sound accurate/natural in room. Has to do with how they propagate sound and not getting as much acoustic roll as other designs.

If the top was that bad on 57s, it would show here and I never said they were perfect, just that they had enough top. They do like to make amps some amps ring. Later units with blue crossover caps got quieter as well, so there may something to your comment but it depends on what was tested and in what condition. 

Can't wait to hear the Shure.
ksc75smile.gif

Since you are obviously into electrostatics, you should check out the latest offering from King's Audio: King III.
It may well combine the best positive of everything mentioned while leaving out the not-so-good. I am familiar with the original King, and have heard the King III in Munich in May. The gentleman demoing them bought my recording on CD of Mozart/Czerny Requiem ( piano 4 hands instead of the orchestra ) performed by Vokalna Akademija Ljubljana, on spot.  For a good reason - I have yet to hear a speaker system that could reproduce the acoustics of the church used for this recording better.

I, too, am eager to hear the Shure 
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #697 of 6,065
If anyone has listened to the Shure KSE-1500 could you please post your impressions. It would greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

"It sounds so good that it's the only earphone on my mind....everyday, every hour?"

Post #337

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #700 of 6,065
How does it the shure KSE1500 sound in comparison to the JH audio LAyla/Roxiannes/Angie paired with the AK-240/380 player and amp? What the difference in sound quality when using the Shure KSE1500 paired with the Chord Hugo/Mojo or AK-240 DAC?  Also, considering its and IEM system. How would that compare to something like the Shure SE846.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #703 of 6,065
So nobody managed to hear these beside Jude,who didn't disclosed too much on the sound.
The market is growing with BA,dynamic drivers earphones.
Hope is worth the wait.For the price hope is the best of everything in ear.

There have been more impressions than only Jude's in this very thread. I can't recall who listened to them at the Japan show but there were a small handful of people who had time with both the unit Jude has and the one that Shure was demoing. If you search the thread you should be able to find various impressions from different listeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back