Shure E4C - Reviews, Opinions & Ramblings Thread
Jun 24, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #301 of 370
I was gonna write a question like that in my last post however it was a loaded question aimed at the base of my disagreement. So thats why I didnt bring it up, what the percentage of sales would be between the 2 colors? If the black was released first I do think it would have been different, possibly but then the ppl who didnt want to wait would be ok they would have gotten black. The white chord kids would have primarily been the ones to pick up the white version. some people dont have a preference but I do not want somebody coming up to me asking me what kind of iPod I have, and then getting into a discussion about why I dont have one, because I am using white headphones. its happened before, and its not worth the hassle to me. i guess im just impaitient.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #302 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenB
My current concern with the E4C's is a disturbing distortion (or poor resolution) in the treble region, esp. noticeable with cymbals. I A/B'd a big band recording where the drummer is playing some intracate figures on his ride cymbal. On my Senn HD650's, the cymbal sound is crisp, clear, outlined, detailed, and exactly as I hear it live (being a drummer). On the Shure E4C's, the cymbal sounds muddy, washed out, and almost like it has a crack in it. Yikes! I don't hear that problem with my former EX71's although the overall sonic performance of the Shure's is definitely superior to the Sony's.

The Shure E4C's sound pretty good to me (and only cost $200); but, has anyone else noticed this resolution issue in the treble region?

KenB

Yay, it seems like shure just does not care about detail in the treble region. They seem to be more concerned about the mids more than anything else.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #303 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Yay, it seems like shure just does not care about detail in the treble region. They seem to be more concerned about the mids more than anything else.

As an owner of the E4c and former owner of the HD650+Zu, it doesn't surprise me KenB thinks the HD650 is a better performer on the treble, but personally, I don't hear the issues he raises. I think the HD650 performs better, but the E4c seem to do fine on the highs. Maybe it's just the music I listen to or just how I respond to the E4c highs.

But to say that Shure disregards the treble region is silly. I don't think they squeeze out as much clarity/performance as the SA5000 or ER4P/S. But the Shure E4c, while perhaps not at the top of the market, aren't weak in the treble at all. I find they lean towards clarity and treble performance, at the expense of bass and lower-end weight.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #304 of 370
I was quoted accurately, but I have changed my view on that E4C treble issue. In the first couple of days, I thought that I was hearing muddiness in the cymbal pings. I also reported, a day or two later, that I thought the E4's sounded veiled/dark/dull. After some helpful guidance from others, it turns out that I had not given my ears the proper time to adjust to these real canalphones. I wore them too deep (wrong sleeve), too many hours in a row, and, as a result of the abuse, my hearing was adversely affected. I simply drew erroneous conclusions at a time when my ears actually hurt (I reported that too!)
etysmile.gif

Since those early and mistaken impressions, I have become a BIG FAN of the E4C's. I wear them about 2 hours per day (morning and late afternoon) and experience no discomfort at all now that I use the small soft-flex tips. Microphonics is a minor annoyance at times (not unique to the E4's) and I could stand a tad more bass; but, on balance, they are sweet earphones. I use the iPOD's Bass Booster EQ and that certainly helps on most tunes. The mid range and treble, though, are balanced, clean, and detailed.

KenB

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #305 of 370
Is the bass of the e4's with the Ipod better than that of the e2's with the Ipod?
I am considering buying these but I want to be as sure as I can that they are worth the upgrade (yes, I know there are return policies).
thanks

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #306 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrain
Is the bass of the e4's with the Ipod better than that of the e2's with the Ipod?
I am considering buying these but I want to be as sure as I can that they are worth the upgrade (yes, I know there are return policies).
thanks

i actually think the bass is better (if much muddier) and more fun on the e2's, but everything else is much much better on the e4's, sound-wise and comfort-wise. in fact, i think the e4's are way better than the e3's as well. but, if you're really a bass hound, the ones you want are the e5's....

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #307 of 370
Ok so I pre-orderd my E4(black) headphones and was all excited. Unfortunately I received the E4c(white version) in the mail 2 days ago. Needless to say Im upset and refuse to open the package. Should I just keep them or return them and wait for the black version? What would you do?

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #309 of 370
In regard to Hyperm3:
Ipod muggings are related to white earphones, so black could be a good choice. I personally have an ipod and I still am not sure what king I want. Pictures of the black ones dont seem too flatering.
On the other hand, if I were you and I had just recieved a pair of brand spanking new SHure e4 freakin c earphones in the mail I would rip those babies open sooo fast its not even funny. Or maybe I would savor the experience of opening the box, either way, if those guys showed up on my doorstep they would get opened. COLOR REALLY ISNT IMPORTANT. It is sound that matters, that is why I am using a pair of fuggly ol' e2c's instead the sleek soney ex71's or apple in ears.

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #310 of 370
IF the wait for the E4 was still far off I suggest you go ahead and rip that box open and enjoy those bad boys.

The wait is almost over as Shure wil be shipping them to resellers next week.

Keith Ashwood

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #311 of 370
I wish my biggest problem with the e4c was deciding on color.
Right now it is coughing up $180-190 bones, REgardless of color. Hey if you try em out and you dont like the color you can sell them to me for cheap
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #312 of 370
hyperm3 -- if you can control yourself, i'd wait. the dark e4's truly are way cooler looking. and who knows? maybe they've even tweeked the sound for pros.

the brain -- i did find the e2's more fun, but that's because they weren't my only phones. i have the ety er-4p/s for all the clarity i could ever want. the e2's were for exercise and bopping about.... if they were my primary phone, i wouldn't hesitate to upgrade up to the e4's. the bass is about as good as you can get on a single driver. it's most definitely there (all the murkiness of the e2's are lifted, all the shrill of the e3's gone). and, if you happen to be in a head-banging mood, pop in your sonys -- that's what they're for.

stop torturing yourself, buy the e4's. the joy of a good pair of headphones is worth it! the e4's are a great pair of phones for the cost. go for it!!!

(yes, i'm an enabler)
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #313 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildeone
hyperm3 -- if you can control yourself, i'd wait. the dark e4's truly are way cooler looking. and who knows? maybe they've even tweeked the sound for pros.

Thanks for everyones responses. Why would they have done anything different with the Black versions in terms of sound quality? Is this common for manufacturers? I really want the black ones because im Anti-Ipod/white and feel Id be going against how I feel if I open these E4c. (Am I crazy?)

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #314 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Thanks for everyones responses. Why would they have done anything different with the Black versions in terms of sound quality? Is this common for manufacturers? I really want the black ones because im Anti-Ipod/white and feel Id be going against how I feel if I open these E4c. (Am I crazy?)

The why of that question seems very obvious to me. Sorry if that sounds pretencious or whatever the word is. The pros are more demanding than the average consumer, point blank. All in all I don't think they changed a thing in the pro model besides the color though. I think this question has come up many times before and all of them have come to the conclusion that the E4 is identical except color to the E4C. I belive that Sugarfried (the boards inside guy at Shure Inc.) has verified this so many times he is probably never giong to answear it again.

As to the question if it is crazy to be anti-iPod, no. It certainly is very explainable, psychologicly speaking and something of a childish expression of picking sides in my mind, but I am a snot nosed snob, so don't pay any attention to my opinions. There is a genuine beef to be had with all those simplistic fashionable know nothing about audiophilia iPoders out there if you are an audiphile who sees them as corupting the world with their ignorance of compressed music and over all media aided coolness, but me, hehe, I am an iPod owner and I don't think I would mind one bit being religated to iPod hell, I have enough good cans, and maybe even more importantly, good music, to pay off whatever pergatory may be lain on my shoulders by all those self richious anti-iPod Gabriels in their exaulted feature rich "other HD DAP" througn on the left hand side of Father Jude and his holy son Joe Longwood or RickG or whoever...
eek.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #315 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3

i have to think they tweek them to the end, but the differences -- if any -- are infintessimal (sp?).... still, the black ones do look much cooler (regardless of the ipod connection -- which i do own) so therefore much sound cooler, right??? i just like that the darker phones can kind of blend in whereas the white ones are screaming 'see me! look at me!'

seriously, if it was a month's wait, i'd say go for it, but if it's only a week -- wait.... but if you can't, don't. i own the er-4's and the e5's, neither of which are that pleasing to the eye. when push comes to shove, it's sound quality and desire.... regardless, enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back