Shure E4C - Reviews, Opinions & Ramblings Thread
May 25, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #153 of 370
I would buy the E4Cs in a flash if I could find a nice dealer in Canada!

May 25, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #156 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
What?
What are you bumping for?

equals bumping in non for sale forums is not allowed.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #157 of 370
Well, just got my E4c toiday from Comp-u-Plus ($171 + shipping). Just wanted to post a quick blurb about these. So far so good. I own the e2,e3, e4, e5, ety er6i, and have owned the er4p. The thing that really struck me about these phones right out of the box was the fact that I couldn't identify any part of the tonal range that went unrepresented in the sound sig of the phones. The bass is tight, and deep, though not as deep (boomy) as the E5. The highs are definitely in league with the Ety's from what I have heard so far. Anyway, I want to listen to these a lot more before offering up a full blown review, but I am pretty sure my e3 and e2 are gonna be up for sale soon. Stay tuned...

May 26, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #158 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeGuy
Well, just got my E4c toiday from Comp-u-Plus ($171 + shipping). Just wanted to post a quick blurb about these. So far so good. I own the e2,e3, e4, e5, ety er6i, and have owned the er4p. The thing that really struck me about these phones right out of the box was the fact that I couldn't identify any part of the tonal range that went unrepresented in the sound sig of the phones. The bass is tight, and deep, though not as deep (boomy) as the E5. The highs are definitely in league with the Ety's from what I have heard so far. Anyway, I want to listen to these a lot more before offering up a full blown review, but I am pretty sure my e3 and e2 are gonna be up for sale soon. Stay tuned...

I would greatly like to read a few members opinions on the comparison of the E4C & the ER6i. If you would do this I would love it. I look forward to watever you decide to post on them though.

May 27, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #160 of 370
Here is a mini review I did in another thread.

After listening to my E4c for most of the day, I have formed a few opinions about them, all good in my view. I owned the ER4p and currently have the ER6i.

Music:
Johann Sebastion Bach -- Masters of Classical
Beatles -- Yellow Submarine
Rush -- Exit Stage Left
B-52s --Cosmic Thing
The Alan Parsons Project -- I Robot
Stevie Ray Vaughn -- In Step
ZZTop -- Best of
Santanna -- Shaman and Moonflow albums

I always got the impression that the Ety phones have great seperation, due to some super sonic recipe that only Etymotic knows about. However... and here is where I may get flamed... I find that the E4 have seperation on par with at least my ER6i and probably the ER4p (that I am reviewing from memory).

However... this seperation doesn't just jump out at you the way it does with the Ety's. In fact, it is almost like the Ety is a 10 layer cake, without any frosting between the layers. Each layer is deliciously rich, but you can see light through the layers, thus giving them this "transparent" quality.

Sure E4 on the other hand, has all the layers present and accounted for, but adds frosting between the layers of the cake, and puts it on a bigger base plate for serving (the basss ). A good example of the bass handling is the Santanna Shaman Album, "Adouma" song. It has some fairly strange bass in it that tends to distort most of my lesser phones. In fact the only phones that have been able to handlie it (till today) were my E5. I now have one other phone that handles it with aplomb, the E4.

Overally, I am becoming -=very= happy with my purchase. My E5 have always been my earphone of choice, but something about trotting around town with a $500 canal phone just never set right with me. Enter the E4. I feel that the E4 achieve about 95% of what the E5 do, with the bass slam of the E5 being the missing 5%. So, for $171 + shipping, I can now essentially carry my 95% of my E5 performance around with me and not worry about it. Now about the bass. The E5 has -slam- to it, and I really dig that when I am in my groovalizer mood. Nothing like feeling the hairs on the back of your neck vibrating in time to the music. The E4 have superb, controlled, tight bass, that I -think- may actually reach as deep or deeper than the E5, but it is much more tame. It is however, much more present than either the ER6i, or the ER4p.

In conclusion with regards to the sonic signature, I an find no one part of it that overwhelms any other part of it. The highs are high, bass is deep, and the mids are where they should be, in the middle and not pushed out into your face. To my ears, a very neutral phone. This implies that they will amp great, though I haven't had the opportunity of doing so as yet.

Another plus for these phones is the fact that the sound nozzle can be removed. This means that a) I can give them a good, proper de-waxing when necessary, and 2) if I step on them and snap the nozzle, all is not lost. I simple order a new nozzle and screw it on. Excellent survivability for portable situations. Given the choice of these between the ER4p, I would definitley reach for the Shure. I think Etymotic has some serious competition on this one, and frankly, it kind of saddens me, because Ety has been such a standard for so long, but they are simply allowing the competition to pass them up.

Ety... it is time for an update guys. If nothing else, take that superb phone of yours and put it in a non-Frankenstien casing. I mean, I know you can do it, why haven't you? I can only imagine the popularity of a dual driver Etymotic in an attractive =comfortable= housing without the 1 inch long sound tube.

Since the wife is going out of town this weekend, I will try to write a more comprehensive review, with pictures and stuff.

May 27, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #161 of 370
Are there any of you who own BOTH the e3c and e4c say that the e4c is well worth double the price (since e3cs can be had for roughly $100 while e4cs sell for $200)?

Mostly I've heard very positive reviews of the e4cs -- thanks to everyone for their lengthy and careful opinions! However, I'm worried that I'll get the e4cs and not quite be satisfied... Though I'm planning on getting them anyway to try them out and return if I'm not happy. Thanks again for any opinions you can give on e3c vs. e4c.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #162 of 370
I had the same dilema as you do. I owned the e3 and the e5 and had to wonder what I was really going to get for my money. I have to say, I am -very- happy that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the e4. At first blush, you will kinda wonder if you spent your money wisely on the e4, but trust me, as you listen to them more and more, you will soon realize where your money went, and it is all good. I would not hesitate to recommend that you go ahead and pull the trigger on a purchase of the e4. These are seriously shaping up to become my new favorite headphone. They just keep getting better and better the more I lisen to them. Good luck in your decision,,,,

May 27, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #163 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeGuy
I had the same dilema as you do. I owned the e3 and the e5 and had to wonder what I was really going to get for my money. I have to say, I am -very- happy that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the e4. At first blush, you will kinda wonder if you spent your money wisely on the e4, but trust me, as you listen to them more and more, you will soon realize where your money went, and it is all good. I would not hesitate to recommend that you go ahead and pull the trigger on a purchase of the e4. These are seriously shaping up to become my new favorite headphone. They just keep getting better and better the more I lisen to them. Good luck in your decision,,,,

There are basically 2 things stopping me from pulling the trigger on the E4c.

One, I still don't know what to think re: E4 vs E5. From what I've read, the E4c seems like it's fairly well balanced but others have said the E5c presents a more balanced sound. Also, I have to wonder if I'd miss the extra bass slam of the E5c. Does anyone here feel that midrange and treble detail are easier to hear on the E4c, since there isn't as much bass to cover it up? I found that my UM2s were a bit too bassy if I didn't EQ them and that all the bass masked some of the detail.

Two, I'm a bit reluctant to get the E4c before people start posting impressions of the new UE products (for obvious reasons).

Really though, it's probably hard to go wrong with the E4c. Initial impressions have been favorable, and Shure's customer service is usually excellent. Still, I think I'll wait it out and see whether the E4c or UE products will be right for me.

May 27, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #164 of 370
Another Shure question--I owned the e3c for a month and one thing I didn't like about them was that when inserted they almost created a "too good" seal--it felt like my ears were actually pressurized, and they became uncomfortable after an hour or so.

I have small ear canals (apparently) because I had to switch to the smaller size sleeves that come in the fit kit. Have others experienced this?

The reason I ask is that I assume the e4c has the same fit kit and fits the same way the e3c does.

May 27, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #165 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbilsbor
Another Shure question--I owned the e3c for a month and one thing I didn't like about them was that when inserted they almost created a "too good" seal--it felt like my ears were actually pressurized, and they became uncomfortable after an hour or so.

I have small ear canals (apparently) because I had to switch to the smaller size sleeves that come in the fit kit. Have others experienced this?

The reason I ask is that I assume the e4c has the same fit kit and fits the same way the e3c does.

i too experienced this, to get rid of the "pressurized" feel, all you have to do is pull straight down on your ear lobe and the pressure will equal out and you will have no more discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back