Shure E4C - Reviews, Opinions & Ramblings Thread
May 27, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #166 of 370
At first I miss the extra bass slam of the e5c but after listening to my music using e4c over and over, I don't miss it at all, I got more details and separation in e4c (I even caught out of tune playing in the string section of the orchestra when i used the e4c.) e5c is a great earphone but I think e4c works for me.

May 27, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #167 of 370
Thank you all, I ended up "pulling the trigger" earlier today. Hopefully ground shipping isn't that slow and I won't regret ordering from beachaudio.com.

As for e4 vs. e5 -- I was really only pondering the difference between e3 vs. e4, since I couldn't expect to have greater quality from a less expensive earphone. But hearing from those of you who actually prefer the e4 over the e5 (along with those who say e5 still has better bass punch, more details, etc.) makes me all the more confident that I'll be satisfied with e4 over e3.

After all, my story is basically: I owned the cheap default headphones for the longest time until they broke and I got $8 Sony earbuds instead. I still prefer them over the iPod stocks because they have slightly more detail and are less fuzzy. I wanted better ones, though, so I opted for the Sony EX-71s after reading many glowing reviews -- big mistake. Like many others have said, shrill highs, flat mids, muddy lows. Bloated and not worth it at all -- I'm not going to use them again. But I was unsure whether to go for the e3s or the e4s -- now that I've made my decision, I'll have to wait and see if they're worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks all, once again.

Edit: Another question: how long did it take you to get used to and/or burn-in the e4cs?

May 27, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #168 of 370
I ordered from beachaudio on sunday & had them on wednesday! and as far as the 4's over the 3's -- theres no comparison! I had the 2's, then the 3's & just had to try the 4's & finally I feel satisfied!

May 27, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #169 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela
I ordered from beachaudio on sunday & had them on wednesday! and as far as the 4's over the 3's -- theres no comparison! I had the 2's, then the 3's & just had to try the 4's & finally I feel satisfied!

What do you like, specificly, about the E4C over the E3C, and what about that over the E2C?

May 27, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #170 of 370
K sorry guys but Im a little mixed up right now. I made a post about my e2cs and got some replies and am now looking at the e4s since they are the same price as the e3s just about.

I think someone mentioned something about I will want to upgrade to a dual driver eventually and skip the e3.

What is a dual driver? Is that what the e4 is? How does the bass compare on an e4 to an e2?

Thanks a lot guys. Bare with me
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #171 of 370
Hey Strangelover37,

I'm sure there are about 1000 people that can answer this question better than I can, but I'll give it my best shot. The E4s are not dual-driver canalphones and are instead your regular single-driver phones that are the most common. The only dual-drivers that Shure makes are the E5s (at a price premium, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
) but other companies such as Ultimate Ears also make them. The difference between dual and single driver phones is that dual-drivers use sepearte drivers for highs and lows much like a speaker uses tweaters and woofers to separate the sound while single drivers just have one driver that all the sound is pumped through. This design allows for much stronger (and, I would say, better) bass, as there is a driver specifically dedicated to just that. (The E5s must have a crossover of some type, although I do not know this for fact). From the brief moments that I have heard the E5s, the bass kicks ass and is a lot better than the bass of the E2s, which I own (this coming from a DT-770 bearing bass head
biggrin.gif
). I have not, however, heard the E4s. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Adam

May 27, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #172 of 370
Judging by the the response towards the E4s, maybe "regular" was not the best term to describe them.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #173 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhlbbs
I just receive mine today and the first thing I noticed is that both earphones are marked with L for left. I don't assume that it makes any sound difference as I assume that both left and right are the same units. Any comments ?

Two lefts? What the hell?
Unless that L isnt for left, theres something wrong with that, I think.

May 28, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #174 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Two lefts? What the hell?
Unless that L isnt for left, theres something wrong with that, I think.

that is very odd. Mine are R and L. It's just the letter that's wrong though, right? The stems are angled differently...right?

May 28, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #175 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
What do you like, specificly, about the E4C over the E3C, and what about that over the E2C?

I'll do my best to describe the differences I hear. I"m by far not an audiophile and don't know all the right terminology to describe what I like! I'm an ex-band director & I guess am used to listening discriminately to each instrument & each part of the chord & want to be able to hear them in the headphones - even if I can't see the performers!

The e2c has nice bass but it sounds blurry. I have Klipsch speakers & what I love about them is the clarity & detail they produce. That was missing with the e2's. I like hearing the hi-hat nice & crisp and the middle of the chord just as clearly.

The ec3's were a little clearer - the bass was tighter - but still didn't have the punch I was looking for. And the punch isn't just with bass - though that is a big part. It is the clarity & separation of the instruments in the high & mid ranges too. The e4's have the bass punch and they sound very clear - not muddy - I can hear each instrument seperately & they aren't all blurred together. At times there is a visceral reaction -- you literally feel the sound & it makes me grin like a fox!! Thats how I know I've heard what I like!

Thats my best description! I know I've found something I like when I'm grinning & laughing out loud & my hubby is just looking at me shaking his head!! Actually he gets a worried look if I've just bought something new & I'm not grinning cause he knows I'll be looking for something else new soon!!!

May 28, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #177 of 370
I hate to say this out loud because it will ensure that I never have them in my posession as I wish, but can anyone say head-fi colectors item? Now it may be just me, but I would keep those and see if they turn out to be rare or a comon problem. If they are rare then hey, like I said its just me, but I would cherish them as coin collectors cherish a misprint.
cool.gif

May 28, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #178 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
I hate to say this out loud because it will ensure that I never have them in my posession as I wish, but can anyone say head-fi colectors item? Now it may be just me, but I would keep those and see if they turn out to be rare or a comon problem. If they are rare then hey, like I said its just me, but I would cherish them as coin collectors cherish a misprint.
cool.gif

Behold, it's the legendary double-lefty E4C!

May 28, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #179 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Behold, it's the legendary double-lefty E4C!

Unfortunetly I have a feeling it might be a common problem, but hey I would want them, especialy if it isn't a common problem. Somebody else wanting your canalphones because they think they are significant makes them collectables doesn't it?

I do realise how silly it sounds, but if headphones are going to be a serious hobby across the world they need some rare collectables and a community of wanna haves to support those collectables. I'm just sayin' that I would elevate something like this to that level if it is rare enough. Its not like the E4C is an uninteresting headphone either, it has had one of the most anticipated debutes in headphone hobbyist history. Messed up Super.fi's are next...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back