Shure E4C - Reviews, Opinions & Ramblings Thread
May 21, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #121 of 370
I am loving these e4c's, in direct comparison to my er6i's I find the er6i's to now seem week...These e4c's seem powerful with good high's and plenty enough in the low end (rock music now sounds fantastic).
I went ahead and did the flange mod... cut the top tri flange tip and cut extra stem... the result is er6i like isolation and very good bass bass.
Anyone on the fence with these should jump off and grab them, I am very happy.
P.S. I also had e3c's and from my memory the e4c's smoke em easily (same nice clarity but better seperation, plus better low and high end.

May 22, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #122 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukka
I am loving these e4c's, in direct comparison to my er6i's I find the er6i's to now seem week...These e4c's seem powerful with good high's and plenty enough in the low end (rock music now sounds fantastic).
I went ahead and did the flange mod... cut the top tri flange tip and cut extra stem... the result is er6i like isolation and very good bass bass.
Anyone on the fence with these should jump off and grab them, I am very happy.
P.S. I also had e3c's and from my memory the e4c's smoke em easily (same nice clarity but better seperation, plus better low and high end.

i followed your advice, and have to admit I get a better seal, and they feel better in my ears. THX!

May 22, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #123 of 370
I own both e4c and er4p and I must say, e4c is in the same league as er4p. Sonically, e4c's bass seem to have more impact, everything sounds a little fuller. I think it's a more up front and fun sounding than er4p. e4c has more forward mids than er4p but without the "rolled off highs" as the e3c and e2c. This is only initial impression though, I still haven't decided which one to keep. I tested both with ipod+sm3 with all the switches.

May 22, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #124 of 370
Is Page Computers Shure Authorized? I thought authorized dealers could not show a price that low on the internet. If they are authorized, doesn't that mean earphonesolutions will beat their price?

~ Brett

May 22, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #125 of 370
Whoaa treble! I keep checking the box...these are shure's, right? They've actually got treble! I'm surprised, I'm actually finding them a bit bright on some bad recordings. They seem very detailed too, much more so than my e2c's, as I remember. The only thing is that I think the bass is a little light straight out of the headphone jack or with my portaphile. With the pocketamp, though, the bass is quite nice. Big thumbs up to the e4c's.

May 23, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #126 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Whoaa treble! They've actually got treble! I'm surprised, I'm actually finding them a bit bright on some bad recordings. They seem very detailed too, much more so than my e2c's, as I remember.

How would you compare them to the Etymotic Research ER6i or ER4P/S? Are they as detailed as the Etymotics in the treble? Are they harsh at all? Please compare the E4C to the Etymotics that you have experience with.

May 23, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #127 of 370
I agree with you Jmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The detail is amazing, but there is not as much bass as the E2Cs. The bass that is there though is not boomy though. I really wish I had heard Ety ER-4's, because everything I hear about those is detail with little bass. Which one has more bass?

May 23, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #128 of 370
If you are interested in a member's take on the Shure E4C vs. the Shure E5C then go ahead and head over to this thread which is posted by a member & which is his take on the Shure E4C vs. the SHure E5C, its both of the things that you are interested in if you are interested in those two things, neat huh?

May 23, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #129 of 370
jmmmmm...one order of um2 and E4 comparison biggie size to go please!!
biggrin.gif

with the bright highs...that's the impression i got when i heard them with only a few hrs of burn-in...but after two days...its more refined and detailed...no impression of brightness....maybe its just i've gotten used to them..heh

your comment on the bass bein light...is it in comparison to the UM2??? cuz i think E4C have a deep clean controlled bass...then again i kno that UM2 is bass heavily with the dual driver...

also i found an awesome place to test bass/burn in your phones...
go to shoutcast site...list top down by bitrate...tune in to [Jungle Drum n Bass IDM] CLUSTER KMLP i-radio at 320 kbps!!! the bass in those songs vibrate like crazy in my head like this
basshead.gif
...that's how i burned my E4 wit two days of straight up bass...

May 23, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #130 of 370
Does anyone know of an authorized seller who has this in stock, and will ship to Canada?

Thanks!

May 23, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #131 of 370
Just got mine 2day, wonderful considering I live in the UK and they only sent them out on Wed.

First impressions: these earphones are very very good. for people from e2c (i can only assume) and from e3c (which I previously had), these are far more balanced. I havent tried top-notch canalphones, such as E5, but I would guess that these are essentially the best that single-drivers can go. The Bass is very punchy and a great improvement on the E3s. The highs are still a bit disappointing but I like my music fun, though these are quite detailed... playing Imogen Heap on these sends a shiver down my spine. Using Tri-Flanges, might wanna trim them down as they are a bit long atm.

After burn-in, I will post more.

May 23, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #132 of 370
my e4c is supposed to be here by today =O
it is my first time spending more than $30 on a earphone.
so far, i've tried koss sparkplug, sony ex51 so far. many people mentioned that sony ex series has boomy bass and screechy treble, and yes it has screechy high...
but i find koss sparkplug has more bass than sony... it seems sony is lacking bass to me after listening to the koss one...
i also don't like koss one either... they sound tooooo muddy... i guess i will have to try out e4c when it comes today...

i don't know much about earphone/bud/headphones, so i have a question.
i am looking for an earphone/bud (not headphone) that will be used with a mp3 player (pda to be exactly) without any amp or anything.
which one is a good choice? I listen to alternative rocks / techno usually.
i've done quite a lot of reading on various forums and it seems um2 / e3 / e2 / sony x1 series / ety 6ri / ety 4s are the dominant phones...

May 23, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #134 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by straden
i don't know much about earphone/bud/headphones, so i have a question.
i am looking for an earphone/bud (not headphone) that will be used with a mp3 player (pda to be exactly) without any amp or anything.
which one is a good choice? I listen to alternative rocks / techno usually.
i've done quite a lot of reading on various forums and it seems um2 / e3 / e2 / sony x1 series / ety 6ri / ety 4s are the dominant phones...

For better responses, you should start a new thread.

May 23, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #135 of 370
Well since "ramblings" is part of the title of this thread, let me me ask about this: I was a brief E3c owner and the reason it got returned was the sound--specifically the midrange--that everyone has discussed ad naseum. But a smaller thing I didn't like about it was the size of the components--not the earbuds, but the cable itself I thought was too large in diameter, the Y-connector way too bulky, and even the right-angle plug was oversized. From what I can see from various E4/c pictures those components are the same. Has this bothered anyone else? For me they were just too stiff and heavy to be attached to a canalphone (especially if you ever go jogging or workout with them). Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back