Shure e2c recable?
Jan 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 28
Thanks for the tutorial--I appreciate it! Sounds like you just cut right into the plastic rather than trying to separate the pieces where they were glued together, right? You must be, like, a brain surgeon or something, right? I'll have to consider whether I can cut right in like you did--I'm so clumsy at things like this--my earbuds are all black and so I can't see in while I'm cutting...

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #18 of 28
Nachkebia, I am totally with you regarding picture tutorials, but unfortunately, as you can see the operation has been completed. Maybe when I decide to re-cable my shure se530's somehow, I'll post some pictures to make everyone happy!

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

I need to do this as well. Is there any place I could just buy a replacement cable ? (Doesn't have to be sure brand)

Yes, I recommend using the mogami neglex 2534 that can be purchased form redco audio online to re-cable your shures. you would need to strip off all the PVC insulation and copper shielding, do some braiding and twisting and solder the wires to the appropriate channels. I am assuming you don't have much knowledge about re-cabling form the question you asked, but you can find all the help you need on these forums. Good luck

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #21 of 28
Do you recommend the Mogami W2534 Quad Mic Cable or Mogami W2893 Miniature Quad Mic Cable ?

I'll try and figure out the rest in these forums. I just really want to duplicate what you got cause it looks so slick.

May 15, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 28
Nice work on the Re-cable HGunn, 
beerchug.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 28
Drummer and Hgunn, I'm looking for some more information on how you were able to open up the shells.  I have a hobby knife or a boxcutter/razorblades.. is that sufficient?  And did you use an actual back and forth sawing motion to literally cut the piece apart, or were you trying to pry it open by twisting the cutting edge back and forth?

Also I assume you cut the top area where the wire enters in half (between the clear/dark halves), did you also need to cut the circular region where those pieces attach to the bottom half of the shell?  Or did it just pop off?  I've been trying with my hobby knife for the last 30 min or so and not making a lot of headway and just curious if I'm doing it wrong or you guys had a different method.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #26 of 28
Hey Halcy... Yeah they can be a bit of a pain to break in half. Just keep at it start at the back (pointed end furthest from the driver) and work your way around. I had to cut through the little pins that join the two halves together but once u do that they should just pop right off. Don't be too afraid as i think it would be kind of hard to completely ruin the headphones.

To get it back together just hit it with the smallest dab of superglue and your all done.

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #27 of 28
Hey HGunn, unfortunately its easier to break than I had thought
smily_headphones1.gif
  So I got everything split apart, wires made, one earphone resoldered and resealed.  Was working on the second one desoldering the existing wire from the pad, and the _entire_ pad came off the pcb.  I tried to get it back attached properly and just couldn't do it.  So I dug into things a bit and the wire that attaches from the pad to the driver is like a single strand 36+ gauge wire, it is ridiculous.  So I bagged it and bought some SE425s and love them.  But now I have this really nice recable wire completed and nothing to hook it into o.O  Anyway lesson for anyone in the future that trys, be _ultra_ careful desoldering the existing wire from the pad, you dont want to pull on it _at all_ wire desoldering.

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 28
First post is a mega bump, but I recently recabled (or not recabled but cut new ends on the stock cable to repair broken part ner earphones) on my Shure E2C thanks to inspiration from this thread.
I cut carfully along the sides of the earphones plastic edge with a carpet knife, on both sides, starting where the cable goes in. The I soldered the old cables away and cut new fresh ends and soldered them back again. Glued the whole thing back toghether with some super glue that stuck the ends in about 3 sec.
End result:
http://i.imgur.com/3U6FY6G.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back