Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Nov 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #182 of 493
  Does the Asgard not have a Gain option? 

Yes it does 
smily_headphones1.gif
. And low gain probably would do the trick.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #183 of 493
Nov 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #185 of 493

The main reason I was curious I guess is because so far (in the few headphones I've owned) I've noticed a correlation between the ability for a headphone to be driven in the high gain stage of my Asgard and the general performance and refinement of a headphone.

I guess that the current required to drive a headphone does not always correlate with how refined it is though...I think. But then, I thought I read that a 600 ohm version will always be more detailed than a 250 ohm version of the same headphone. (They may have just been referring to two specific models, I can't remember.)

I don't know, I guess I'm still pretty new to all this stuff.

EDIT: Maybe I mean voltage instead of current

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #186 of 493
  The main reason I was curious I guess is because so far (in the few headphones I've owned) I've noticed a correlation between the ability for a headphone to be driven in the high gain stage of my Asgard and the general performance and refinement of a headphone.

I guess that the current required to drive a headphone does not always correlate with how refined it is though...I think. But then, I thought I read that a 600 ohm version will always be more detailed than a 250 ohm version of the same headphone. (They may have just been referring to two specific models, I can't remember.)

I don't know, I guess I'm still pretty new to all this stuff.

EDIT: Maybe I mean voltage instead of current

Wll with cheaper phones, usually the higher impedance ones do offer better sound... but then we get into the world of True Mid fi. THe HE 400, W1000x and my new Wood Back D2k are all low impedance and all sounded very nice! Low impedance headphones also require more current than they do volts, so some are harder to driver than their high impedance counter parts.

Still High impedance is a nice pair with powerful volt Heavy Tube Amps. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #187 of 493
  Wll with cheaper phones, usually the higher impedance ones do offer better sound... but then we get into the world of True Mid fi. THe HE 400, W1000x and my new Wood Back D2k are all low impedance and all sounded very nice! Low impedance headphones also require more current than they do volts, so some are harder to driver than their high impedance counter parts.

Still High impedance is a nice pair with powerful volt Heavy Tube Amps. 

Hey thanks so much for the info. Still learning every day.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #189 of 493
I'll be comparing the SRH1540 with the Alpha Dogs, most likely next week. I hope the Shures do arrive in-store at the expected date. 
cool.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #190 of 493
  I'll be comparing the SRH1540 with the Alpha Dogs, most likely next week. I hope the Shures do arrive in-store at the expected date. 
cool.gif

I am very much looking forward to this comparison since I am almost certain the Alpha Dog is my next headphone, but it is always good to keep an open mind.  I liked reading in the review linked above that the 1540 isn't as bright as the B&O or B&W P7, especially since I felt both were a bit too bright.  I also like hearing that the 1540 has a bit of a beefy low end.

It is an amazing and expensive time to be a headphone enthusiast.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #191 of 493

I am very much looking forward to this comparison since I am almost certain the Alpha Dog is my next headphone, but it is always good to keep an open mind.  I liked reading in the review linked above that the 1540 isn't as bright as the B&O or B&W P7, especially since I felt both were a bit too bright.  I also like hearing that the 1540 has a bit of a beefy low end.

It is an amazing and expensive time to be a headphone enthusiast.

Tell me about it :) I still think that so far I've found the right headphone for me personally (the Sony 7520), but I'm still gonna give the Shure a try and see if it sounds good and if it's worth the extra $110. However, if it sounds similar to my Shure SE530 IEM, I'm not sure if I'll like them, because then I'd say the 7520 is the better headphone. Got an e-mail today that the headphone's been backordered, so hopefully it'll arrive sometime next week instead of this week.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #192 of 493

Picked them up from the Post Office this morning.
Haven't tested as I'd like since I'm planning a work trip for next week... lots of things to do but I can say that:

1) They are extremely comfortable
2) They are VERY light compared to the Alpha Dogs or the Yamaha MT-220s which I was using yesterday
3) It may be New Toy Syndrome effects but, I'm LOVING the sound of these guys!

Why am I loving the sound?
Because it's doing what I expected of the SRH940s/1840s, it's playing the crap out of everything I'm throwing at it from Salsa, Merengue to Dance, Trance and Dub.

Is it bass light? NOOOOO!
Does it have more quantity, presence and slam than the SRH1840s? DEFINITELY.
Is it bloated or boomy? A little bit actually...
Does it have ear-piercing highs? No. It does NOT sound as bright overall like the 940s but they don't sound as warm/relaxed like the 1840s either.

I guess one "con" as of now is that instrument separation/imaging might not be better than what I remember the 1840s to be with the same tracks. It is very good but not excellent (that was my favorite thing of the 1840s...) Also, mid-bass quantity might be a turn-off to some. Reminds me of the hump of the 840s but with more control and overall more detail. Sub-bass is not strongly pronounced but it is definitely present (checked out the "Heartbeats" Flac for testing but need more tracks to be completely sure).

Listening to tracks from Rock acts like The Juliana Theory, Killswitch Engage, Senses Fail, etc. is actually a treat and might be faring better than the Alpha Dogs on this...

I will be away from my headphones for a while actually so I'm not sure if I'll be able to compare my T5p (on the way), Alphas, MT220s, etc. this week, but I'll try to keep on updating my impressions. Also, I might review these since I tend to do that with my Shure's! LOL

P.S. Running through FiiO X3 --> Schiit Magni --> Headphones.

1540 vs. Ultrasone Signature PRO/DJ?

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #193 of 493
So I'm officially in "lust mode" after these now.  It's only a matter of time.  Loved my SE535s, loved my SCL4s, hell... love my gym IEMs SE215.  I wasn't really a fan of the SRH440-840 line, but the aesthetics and sound signature of these is different, and sounds closer to the IEM signatures I've grown to love. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #194 of 493
  These headphones seem to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for (closed, fun, velours).

I also own the Schiit Asgard 2 and I am curious if there you hear any noise floor running the SRH150's through it. At 46 ohm and 99 dB SPL I was a bit worried about my Asgard being too much for them.

I get no noise floor at all so no need to worry, my friend
L3000.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #195 of 493
  Tell me about it :) I still think that so far I've found the right headphone for me personally (the Sony 7520), but I'm still gonna give the Shure a try and see if it sounds good and if it's worth the extra $110. However, if it sounds similar to my Shure SE530 IEM, I'm not sure if I'll like them, because then I'd say the 7520 is the better headphone. Got an e-mail today that the headphone's been backordered, so hopefully it'll arrive sometime next week instead of this week.

I've been following your (and MacedonianHero's) documented adventure in a couple of threads and also tried the M500, HD380, Momentum, P7, HP50, and now 1540 in roughly that order within the last month or so. In looking for a comfortable closed headphone with great sound quality that's easily driven by portable devices, I think I finally found it in the 1540. Much more enjoyable (i.e. musical) and comfortable than the HD380 as far as monitoring headphones go, though the HD380 does have great sound quality and mostly neutral balance. Actually, are the 1540 considered (or marketed as) monitoring headphones?

I'd be curious to hear how it compares to the 7520 and I'm guessing the 1540 will be considered way less neutral and probably not as revealing, but I think I'm hopefully done searching in this category.

My other preferred (open) headphones are the HD600 and Fidelio X1, so they can handle tunes that I feel the 1540 doesn't excel at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back