Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Nov 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #197 of 493
Does anyone know where I can find the FR chart and other measurements? I am really interested in purchase a Shure SRH-1540, otherwise an Alpha Dog but with the Shure 1540 does not require a powerful amp as the Alpha Dog.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #198 of 493
  Does anyone know where I can find the FR chart and other measurements? I am really interested in purchase a Shure SRH-1540, otherwise an Alpha Dog but with the Shure 1540 does not require a powerful amp as the Alpha Dog.

I don't think there are any measurements yet for this one... I personally think it will look like this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

but with elevated sub-bass and probably a bump in 2-4khz... maybe I'm wrong but to me it sounds like a refined SRH840!!

:p

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #200 of 493
The DavidMahler's Shure SRH 1840 review stated that Shure 1840 sounds best with Classical, Jazz, well-record and the Da******'s Shure 1540 review (sorry his name should not be mentioned here because I had received a warning) wrote that Shure 1540 sounds best with Classical, Jazz, accoustic and other relative genres.

I think I just found the best headphone for my taste right now and pair well with my current gears (Odac and C421). It's solid, easy to drive, with wonderful accessories and it is portable. Guys please do the review of these Shure 1540s and compare it with other close or open cans that you like or love. I really really appreciate that kindly. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #201 of 493

I am very much looking forward to this comparison since I am almost certain the Alpha Dog is my next headphone, but it is always good to keep an open mind.  I liked reading in the review linked above that the 1540 isn't as bright as the B&O or B&W P7, especially since I felt both were a bit too bright.  I also like hearing that the 1540 has a bit of a beefy low end.

It is an amazing and expensive time to be a headphone enthusiast.

sadly so!

I'm looking forward to hearing about this too, AD vs Shure 1540

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #202 of 493
I saw this by the name that we should not mention but his words could be right. Let you check this problem and compare to other headphones that treble does not roll off.

Update: I was really optimistic about the SRH-1540, being the high-quality headphone that it basically is. But the treble rolloff has become unbearable after a few days. Going back and comparing to the B&O H6, B&W P7, Beyer COP and others, all of the others have the treble extension which is recessed on the SRH-1540. So I enabled the old reliable iTunes Treble Booster, which brings the SRH-1540 treble up to a comparable level (with no noticeable peaks or roughness), I gave it a long listen comparing back and forth among these headphones, and am satisfied that the result sound is OK for the $500 USD I spent for the SRH-1540. The problem with the SRH-1540 seems to be the design - a much stronger than neutral bass, a more distant than normal midrange perspective, and a slightly reduced treble - all combining to render the highs much weaker than the other headphones.

Soundedlike Jude mentioned in his video. Warm bass, treble is not harsh but look like it takes some drawbacks. Hopefully the EQ could tackle this kindly.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #203 of 493
I have come to the conclusion there is no such thing as the perfect headphone (yes, I am a bit slow in that regard).  Perception of treble, perhaps even more than bass, varies dramatically with strong opinions on both sides and everywhere in between.   There is no right answer, but I think experienced Head-fiers learn from other members when their tastes connect based on mutual listening experiences and hearing headphones in a similar way.  It's not quite as profound as finding a "sonic soul mate", but there are some members where, if they are passionate about a given headphone, I will likely feel the same.  Conversely, some might say "detailed treble" and I my ears interpret as sizzle.  The H6 and P7 hit certain highs for me that actually made me cringe while listening which is never a good thing.  I find the Alpha Dog to have an extended, yet smooth treble that was perfection to my ears, yet a recent post on that thread described them as bright. Conversely, a dark can provides an unsatisfying listening experience.  Some of the cans that hit my sweet spot in terms of treble are the Alpha Dogs, NAD HP50, M-100 with XL pads, and the Ultrasone Signature line (the only Ultrasones I prefer sonically).  If the 1540 falls in this area, they are a contender for me.

I see the big closed headphone showdown of 2013 between the Alpha Dogs and 1540 for those who hear treble the way I do.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #204 of 493

I see the big closed headphone showdown of 2013 between the Alpha Dogs and 1540 for those who hear treble the way I do.

Like wise

Looks like Dan's got some feirce compitetion... not to mention the 1540 is a smidge cheaper.... 

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #206 of 493
And don't forget, treble roll off and subdued or relaxed treble is not the same thing. When the treble is rolled off, no amount of eq is going to fix it. You can't add information that isn't there. Subdued or relaxed treble means the quantity is a little lower in volume, but the extension is still there. I can say to my ears, there is no roll off. What I will say is the treble isn't boosted and sounds completely natural to my ears. The bass does come through a little more than the treble, but only slightly so. The bass quantity is still not anything like a denon. Just slightly boosted to my ears. The mids are fabulous and doesn't sound muddy or overly thick.

I was at a crossroad between these and the AD, but since there's not a two month waiting period, I decided to give the shures a try. I still would very much like to audition the AD, and may still own them in the near future.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #207 of 493
And don't forget, treble roll off and subdued or relaxed treble is not the same thing. When the treble is rolled off, no amount of eq is going to fix it. You can't add information that isn't there. Subdued or relaxed treble means the quantity is a little lower in volume, but the extension is still there.
Great point and thank you for the clarification.
I can say to my ears, there is no roll off. What I will say is the treble isn't boosted and sounds completely natural to my ears. The bass does come through a little more than the treble, but only slightly so. The bass quantity is still not anything like a denon. Just slightly boosted to my ears. The mids are fabulous and doesn't sound muddy or overly thick.
Glad to hear this about the mids as a previous impression gave me the sense that the mids were recessed which would be uncharacteristic of a Shure headphone, particularly a flagship.  Also, natural treble describes my preference exactly.  The real world doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, unless someone is actually scraping their nails on a chalkboard. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I was at a crossroad between these and the AD, but since there's not a two month waiting period, I decided to give the shures a try. I still would very much like to audition the AD, and may still own them in the near future.
Does the 1540 also provide the high level of detail one would expect?  Microdetail in the mids is one of the strengths of the Alpha Dogs.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #208 of 493
Compared to my he6 and w3000anv, no. Though it's still very good, but not quiet up to those though it's really close. It's close enough that if I didn't already own those, I would never find them lacking in micro detail. So it's hard to say how that would translate into how the micro detail compares to the AD.

Oh and recessed would be the last word I would used to describe the mids. They are as full sounding as my w3000anv.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #209 of 493
@craigster

I would like to point out, with all due respect, natural treble may possible sometime sound nasty if the recording were to portray it that way. A heavy crashing of cymbals for example don't necessarily always sound "harmonious".

If it is "harsh" in the recording, it should sound "harsh" if accurate music reproduction is what you are after. Same goes for Sibilance, for some recordings, it's just there and nothing to do with the headphones/earphones.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #210 of 493
@craigster

I would like to point out, with all due respect, natural treble may possible sometime sound nasty if the recording were to portray it that way. A heavy crashing of cymbals for example don't necessarily always sound "harmonious".

If it is "harsh" in the recording, it should sound "harsh" if accurate music reproduction is what you are after. Same goes for Sibilance, for some recordings, it's just there and nothing to do with the headphones/earphones.

I think I sort of agree with you. I most of all want the headphone to produce the sounds as they were recorded. To put it differently, I certainly don't want them to *hide* stuff from the recording. And yeah, sometimes a recording is just bad and no matter how good your headphone, it'll sound bad :) (and there's a case to be made for saying that the better your headphone is, the worse a bad recording will sound). Now if the headphone adds a bit of coloration, such as a warm presentation, without hiding anything, that's fine too. Sometimes it works nicely and with some music a touch of warmth makes it sound a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back